Remote Start for PPV's without it

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Remote Start for PPV's without it

Post by Navy Lifer »

All PPV's have remote keyless entry (RKE), but remote start (RPO BTV) was optional. My car does not have it, and I've run into a brick wall in trying to upgrade to it.

The addition of BTV involves a new hood latch with a microswitch, a new RKE transmitter, and a programming change to the Body Control Module (BCM). The RKE functions also have to be re-set with the change to the new (4 button) transmitter. The PPV wiring harness already has a pigtail & plug for the connector that is part of the new latch, so that part is plug'n play.

The 2 parts needed are the latch, PN 92258586 and transmitter, PN 92237316. These 2 parts are relatively inexpensive--cost me under $70. The transmitter on your key now separates from the "key head" and the new transmitter just snaps back together with the key. The only other thing that has to be done is restore/re-program the button functions for door lock/unlock & trunk release.

The problem is that the code flash to enable the BCM to actually perform as a remote start interface requires a patch that is VIN-specific (to upload to the BCM, which is VIN-locked), and has to be supplied (as far as I'm aware) from a GM engineering services group that does this "all day long". When the local tech at the dealer went through the normal process to have GM create the patch, he was denied, with the response that there wasn't enough demand to warrant writing the program. So, I have a car that is now fully-equipped with BTV hardware, but I can't get GM to provide the software.

So, that leads to 2 things to share:

1. I realize there are some of you (possibly most of you) already have BTV. You guys can't help me--I need others without remote start who may have a desire to add BTV, to join with me to get GM to agree to support us with the appropriate (VIN-specific) code patch.

2. I've already posted about this via e-mail to the "original" group, so I apologize for the repetition here, but this will eventually reach a larger group of owners and could lead to enough demand to get GM to support the request.

As mentioned in my e-mail to our small group, I'll be happy to serve as the POC, working with my dealer tech to keep pushing for GM to relent and agree to create what is needed to make BTV work. I've already got a couple of VIN's, and I'll need that information from anyone else who is "in" for this.

If anyone has other knowledge or ideas about how to make this work, please weigh-in.
elc32955
System Manager

Re: Remote Start for PPV's without it

Post by elc32955 »

I don't have remote start for my car. It really seems to be random how the options were populated among the vehicles I think. I'm going to do some work to enable a files section for us soon, when I get it done I'll post the ordering guides I have on-file as well as the upfitting guides. I think we are seeing very few cars that were agency order rejects, but more of the "let's get 'em out in the field" kind of optioning to start the brand out, some random person in GM with a magnetic dart board choosing options is more like it :)

Wonder how many requests will be necessary before GM determines it's financially viable to get a coder to spend a few hours, for a civilian market they don't even acknowledge in the first place :) It'll be interesting to see this one play out.... Bill, I'm pulling for you, but something tells me this might take a while.
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
ZerOne

Post by ZerOne »

This is definitely an option that many Australians would like to enable also.
(Getting the different remote control section with the remote start option on it would be difficult to source for us though) :(

For Australian models, the theory why we do not get remote start is due to a particular law that does not allow the car to be running or left unsecured unattended.
I.E. you can get fined in Australia for leaving your keys in the ignition, if you are not "In Control" of the vehicle.
Likewise, if the vehicle is running, and no one is present around the vehicle to be "in control" of it, then this is also an offence.

So because of this law, I don't think any cars in Oz have remote start feature "enabled", unless it has been retrofitted.

We think we have found the 29Bit SW Can command to initiate the remote start feature, but this does nothing unless its enabled on a few modules.

So far, it looks like it needs to be enabled on the ECM, and BCM (and possibly the RF receiver module).
Tom Slick

Post by Tom Slick »

Enabling remote start would definitely be nice down here in Texas!

Tom Slick
1932 Glassic Ford Model A Roadster Replica - Ford 302/C4, approx. 1400lb... :-)
2015 GMC Sierra SLE Extended Cab - 5.3L
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

liability for OE mods?

Post by Navy Lifer »

So--the legal aspect rears it's ugly head, whether it's adding OE Remote Start or whether PPV is "approved" for towing--I was in Chattanooga last Thursday at Hot Rod Power Tour, which afforded me the opportunity to look at the new Chevy stuff and speak with some GM folks. The "Chevy Performance" program gets to take a different approach, since there is much less to deal with in regard to current and future requirements for new vehicles....still, if I didn't speak to this in my photo-report on HRPT, I took the time to explain and ask questions about how to implement some of the "mods" that are actually OE in nature, that just happen to be available on other variations of the same vehicle--as in Remote Start (optional on PPV), fog lamps (standard on G8 and available on some versions of Commodore) etc--and surely others--which require interface via BCM to function.

So I express my frustration to a couple of the guys wearing Chevy Performance shirts, wanting to explain that the Remote Start option is already half-way built into the car, with the wiring harness being in place, that I had added the hardware (hood latch microswitch and proper RKE transmitter) and all I wanted was to get help with the BCM update to allow it to work.

Basically, one guy said "GM Legal would most likely have a problem with the liability for something like that that was not installed in production".....just left me speechless. I didn't want to be offensive in response, so I just nodded my head and said "thanks".

These new "tron" cars are a bit of a PITA, in many ways--and it's only going to get worse!!!

Rant off.....
ZerOne

Post by ZerOne »

I couldn't agree with you more !!!!

The new VF Commodore will have remote start, so now apparently the excuse that the function was illegal in Australia has changed, or is no longer valid.

Most of the people that I know with a VE commodore would love to have this function, but we are currently stuck in terms of how to proceed, as we don't have anything in Australia to try and replicate the feature.

The VF might be our only option (Here in Oz anyway), as we cannot get our hands on the remote start keyfob,
and trying to compare BCM data between Australian models is a no-go.

The only thing with VF is the keyless operation on some models. (You no longer require a key, there is an extra button on the drivers
side door to unlock the door externally, as long as the keyfob is within range).
And then there is no ignition switch (Just a start / stop button)....

I am thinking that there is going to be major major changes with the VF (in terms of Can Bus system used), as the late model VE HSV models introduced a new High Speed Can Bus used for the magnetic ride control, and a few other features.

--
Sorry, actually reading over what I have said I have noticed that the above is just incoherent ramblings.... :(
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

no worries....it's just the level of frustration that comes along with the realization that the "fix" either is not possible, or it requires a pantload of money or favors to get the right person or persons to work some magic with a computer program....it's gotten to the point where many areas of a new car are off limits to any tweaking or customization. What was done with a simple switch and relay in the past now passes through a controller (ie. process control, aka "computer") that directs electron traffic flow to perform many functions.

We got along without such sophistication for many years, but no more. All the bells & whistles don't really float my boat--I guess that puts me at odds with reality.

That's why I don't text, either, I guess.
Tom Slick

Post by Tom Slick »

If I remember correctly, my tech could enable remote start, but I would need to get the remote start key fob... he said it should work, but no guarantee...

I'll double check with him next time I see him...

Later,
Tom Slick
1932 Glassic Ford Model A Roadster Replica - Ford 302/C4, approx. 1400lb... :-)
2015 GMC Sierra SLE Extended Cab - 5.3L
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

The remote-start RKE transmitter for the key is cheap - 92237316, list price is currently $26.32

You must also install the hood latch with microswitch - information in the first post of this thread.

My local tech thought the same thing, but it didn't work....maybe he missed something.
AACoPD05

Post by AACoPD05 »

I feel your pain Bill, I wen through the same thing with getting my interior light be be activated when I opened the doors, no luck! Its just a light! ...and my car is still dark!
Paul
2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
2004 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport