Remote start adventure (11-13)

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
Fudgehog

Remote start adventure (11-13)

Post by Fudgehog »

I wanted to tell yet another story about our unicorn car. Being hopeful and willing to learn per usual, I wanted to dive down the rabbit hole of enabling remote start. Here's what I found out.

I started by ordering the hood latch with connector, PN 92258586.
I ordered two transmitters, PN 92237316. This includes the battery and buttons.
I ordered by mistake, two pushbuttons, PN 92245050. I didn't need these because the transmitters are a complete unit.

This will cost you about $131 dollars ordering from GMpartsdirect.

Hood latch was a 15 minute job, and the keys program easy, it was harder taking the casing off the old key. Slap the new transmitter right onto your old metal key, and you're ready to spin.

I ordered the VXDiag programming tool on Amazon for $125. https://www.amazon.com/VXDIAG-Tech2Win- ... 0743BFLXB/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I followed what one user posted as a guide to setting it up located here: https://www.amazon.ca/VXDIAG-Tech2Win-D ... B074365Q6H" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. In order to use and run the tool. It also emulates Tech2 which is nice to have. It can also clear and reset modules, including brake position relearn among others.

After getting setup I paid $40 for the SPS subscription from AcDelco. You'll have to use Firefox or similar browser with the latest Java updates, as AcDelco SPS would not launch in Chrome for me. In SPS I went to the (IMMO) Immobilizer module and programmed it yes to have remote start. I noticed there were three different options to program.
*(9C1) SALES PACKAGE POLICE VEHICLE
*(9C3) Police Vehicle, Limited Content
*(9C1/9C3) - Standard vehicle ***Only this ones shows a different calibration code than the other two***

I also programmed the RFA module (Remote Function Actuator). It has an option for Middle East, and USA and Canada (Police Cars). I chose the obvious one, and programmed it.

After all of this, remote start DOES NOT WORK. All doors, trunk, and hood are closed. The signal lamps flash once like they are supposed to. I emailed Chris from WAMS and he said that is exactly why he offers the service, and he said it can't be done otherwise.

So the VXdiag is a good investment, it emulates Tech2 and can be used with AcDelco SPS. I would have had to order the parts anyhow, but if you're not interested in having a program tool, just send your BCM to Chris at WAMS. I am $300 invested, with no remote start and my TPMS was cleared during one of my many programming cycles so that light is on too.

Any advice, help or other guidance, or anything else that can be offered go for it. Don't repeat my mistakes.
Attachments
SPS Caprice 1.png
SPS Caprice 1.png (53.28 KiB) Viewed 14105 times
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Remote start adventure (11-13)

Post by Navy Lifer »

I recall responding previously...don't know that there's any option but hiring WAMS to put the patch in the BCM, since GM wouldn't do it.

http://newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

Yeah I wasn't trying to be repetitive or copy your information just wanted to give a guide to others so they don't lose out or get their hopes up doing it themselves.
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Sorry it didn't work but at least you can do a bunch of other stuff with the VXDiag. Having Tech 2 access makes diagnosing and doing other stuff so much easier.

And of course, I didn't see THAT thread. Strange that GM had the programming option in the IMMO and RKE modules but not for the BCM to work with them. Stupid really.

I'm sorry if I was the catalyst for this failure.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

It's okay Moose you've still been helpful. Yeah it's definitely stupid the way GM has it set up.

Active Duty USAF
Jaked1985

Post by Jaked1985 »

Not to hijack, but, is aftermarket remote start not an option without the bcm patch as well?
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

Jaked1985 wrote:Not to hijack, but, is aftermarket remote start not an option without the bcm patch as well?
aftermarket has nothing to do with the OE remote start
91C02920

Post by 91C02920 »

You can try calling ACDelco Techline and asking for a VCI reconfiguration calibration for the BCM that would add factory remote start.
There is a chance that could work. Would help if you had the option package designation for remote start to give them.
I tried that route for my instrument panel but they didn't get it right for me. It seems to depend on the person you talk to on the phone and how much they understand the request and how much they want to get it done. Its worth a try at least.

Edit: Tried to find something to give an example and best I found was a complaint lol - https://www.nastf.org/custom/sir/report ... portID=211" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but it seems some GM truck guys are using VCI to add steering wheel controls here and explains it a tiny bit more- https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/ ... -question/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

"Would help if you had the option package designation for remote start to give them."

Remote Start is RPO BTV for WM (2011-2013)

For WN, since remote start became part of base package, it may or may not carry an RPO designation--can anyone with a 14-17 PPV look at Service Parts ID label and say whether BTV is listed?

As for trucks & steering wheel controls, the sheer number of customers probably makes it worthwhile for GM or ACD to offer a downloadable update via VCI. The PPV "body count" of customers wanting to add BTV is so small--and you must consider it's a fleet vehicle rather than a retail model, where marketing/sales folks would push service/tech support to make happy customers AND be able to add an upcharge on a vehicle transaction.

To me, bottom line was the GM tech group didn't want to be bothered with writing the BTV code patch for a single PPV, or at least very few that have looked to GM for assistance over time. WAMS to the rescue....it may cost a little more than what it would cost to have it available via dealer...so be it.
camrat68

Post by camrat68 »

Jaked1985 wrote:Not to hijack, but, is aftermarket remote start not an option without the bcm patch as well?
This is a very valid question. Can remote start be added via the aftermarket or is a BCM reprogram via WAMS the ONLY option?

Jim
Jim Chesnutt
1968 Camaro -my first car.
1995 Black/White 9C1 Caprice
2012 Alto Gray Metallic 9C1 Caprice--The HoDag-Solo axle back exhaust, improved racing OTR CAI intake.
2013 Black/White 9C1--NADACOP-DOD Delete with BTR Stage II cam, Kooks Headers, Solo Hi-flow Cats and Header Back Mach Balanced kit, WestBendDyno tuned.