Headlights drenched

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
lastcall190

Headlights drenched

Post by lastcall190 »

This is a bit beyond condensation as the headlights are damn near soaked on the inside. I installed my HIDs, drilled out the caps, sealed them up properly, and thought that was that. NOW on my passenger side light almost immediately the light has copious amounts of water on the inside of the lens. The driver side is unchanged. I noticed that the stock covers have this little area that looks like electrical tape in the shape of a window (it's obv not electrical tape but I have no idea what material it is). When I drilled them out, this is now all sealed up. Is it possible the lights have absolutely NO venting now? It's bad to a point where it's nearly affecting my vision at night so I'd like to get this figured out. I could probably be better with no cover at this point. Thanks.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
Fudgehog

Re: Headlights drenched

Post by Fudgehog »

If I remember correctly there's a vent pecock on the bottom of the headlamp. Unfortunately you have to take off the bumper cover to remove them. That's one problem with HIDs is the major heat they put out vs quality LEDs.

If you have new caps set aside or are willing to order more maybe try and drill a couple 1/8 vent holes in the cap.
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Mine are butchered so I will drill a few holes.

I was so proud of myself not having to take the bumper off but my stupid hands could barely fit to get the bulb in.

Guess I have no excuse but to remove the bumper now. Have to take the push bar brackets off anyhow so what the hell.

Thanks for the info. Didn't expect an answer this quick!

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

Definitely do a search for the vent location or look at the headlamp diagram.

I only remember hearing about it once so details are fuzzy. Good luck!
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

Another example of why I am leary of going this route. Could you post some pics of what you are drilling etc, especially if it works?
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Not sure if you're talking to me or not, but I'm going to start with just pulling a cover off and letting it air, then drilling a few holes. End of the day I'm probably just going to H9 convert it and call it a day with fresh low beam covers. My headlights are so hazy on the inside that ideally I'd like to pull them apart and clean them up but without a spare set I'm leery to operate on these "solid gold" priced OEM units.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

dont forget alot of agencies drilled into the lights and added their own to them

just another thing to look into