can I just swap out the radio?

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
Fudgehog

Re: can I just swap out the radio?

Post by Fudgehog »

20ft is enough for me, I do have a sub box that I could mount my second amp to through the rear seat, or if it fits under the rear seat perhaps do that. My first amp is mounted forward of the battery in the trunk.

I could tap the pink wire with the blue stripe in the trunk that you advised I use for my first amp and run that to the new one as well, or the 9th wire would work as well.

Then I could either use another line out converter or add extra female RCA plugs onto the one I have for my subs.

Big thing for me is that connector. The diagram you posted above was for the blue connector correct?
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Yes X267 is the only one we need. X275 (just for the rear) will not be useful at all since all the speakers are present at X267.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

Thanks so much Steve please let me know when/if you get that made up.
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

jj55chevy wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:13 pm
CrashTestDummy wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:10 pm Console?!? Do tell!!
it is like an arm rest with two cup holders on the front and two brackets that hold it down to the plate. about 20" long. I already built one for my car when I stumbled upon this one..its in decent shape but I have gotten used to mine.
Okay. Got it. It's an aftermarket console. Thank you.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
jj55chevy

Post by jj55chevy »

CrashTestDummy wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:08 pm
jj55chevy wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:13 pm
CrashTestDummy wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:10 pm Console?!? Do tell!!
it is like an arm rest with two cup holders on the front and two brackets that hold it down to the plate. about 20" long. I already built one for my car when I stumbled upon this one..its in decent shape but I have gotten used to mine.
Okay. Got it. It's an aftermarket console. Thank you.
if I knew how to add pictures I would but if it's an after market console then it's not worth posting pictures. I'll just use it in my 57
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Did a bit of mock up tonight. Could not find any big enough spaces up in the dash for even the smallest of amp choices. So moved to under the passenger seat. Outside of the floor duct seems to be the best place. Once you remove a hunk of the jute sound deadening under the carpet a nice area opens up. The small amp model is the dimensions of a rockford fosgate model the seems to be pretty common in the mini amp size. It fits with plenty of room. The larger model is the JL audio amp I linked to earlier - fits in there pretty snug. would probably have to trim and cap off half of the floor vent to gain some more room for the wire connections.

Get that big piece of Jute out of there:

Plenty of room all around for a mini amp:

Tight for a larger amp but possible:

Think I am going to end up going with a Kicker KEY180.4 amp. It has built in DSP processor that adjusts the staging of the sound. All the reviews seem to be pretty positive. Will need about 5 feet of 8 conductor wire to get from X267 down to the amp under the seat and then another 5 feet to send the output back to the other side of X267. FOr AMP power I plan on tapping into the battery power from the AUX battery in the right kick panel. SO a short run to under the seat. Mounting it to the floor will be the hard part. Gotta be weather tight what ever I do.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

Just wanted to post that with my 13 I was tired of not hearing the rear door speakers, especially with new Rockfords in, and so I drilled about a 3 1/2" hole in the doors and added a generic speaker grille. I believe it turned out okay, and I'm happy with the result.

The sound output difference is night and day. Beats putting new speakers back there and not hearing them.
Attachments
IMG_20190609_162252.jpg
IMG_20190609_162252.jpg (3.42 MiB) Viewed 7629 times
IMG_20190609_164113.jpg
IMG_20190609_164113.jpg (3.35 MiB) Viewed 7629 times

Active Duty USAF
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Interesting that it looks like they covered the door latch with a cover screwed to the inner door panel. Weird, since I think these cars rolled off the assembly line with the door latch and lock mechanism disconnected.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?