RCA outputs to Amplifiers

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
ig109

RCA outputs to Amplifiers

Post by ig109 »

I have read around and folks in OZ claim to have had RCA outputs wired to the factory "box" and are running decent stereo setups in their cars.

Has anyone done this to the US radios?

I've read all the info on putting the RCA for the backup camera in place (seems easy enough) but I haven't found anything on the RCA outs. The folks in OZ seem to always pay a shop to do this sort of thing and I can't find any writeups.

Thanks,
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: RCA outputs to Amplifiers

Post by smwalker »

So you are saying it sounds like they are creating low level outputs for amps inside the IQ unit?

As opposed to just puting RCA connectors on the ends of their high level speaker wires?
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Is this the reference you are finding:

get Phreddy for (from??) ASR to send you a diy kit with which he mounts RCA pre outs direct to the IQ units processor, this would be by far the best for sound quality, though doesnt matter as much with a sub as it would with speakers.

here is a link to their section on this forum: ASR Audio & Electronics

THis was referenced in 2012 . HIs section on the forum seems to be gone and his website seems to be gone. SO not sure if he is still around. And this mention of the DIY kit no one ever seemed to Do it themselves. And his username seems to be gone off the JustCommodores system, unless I am spelling it wrong.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
ig109

Post by ig109 »

Yes, I suppose that's what I was referencing. Several mentions of that name and this process. I am not a huge bass head - will add a sub, but more I want to fill ALL the component holes in the car and have good overall sound.

Figured a component amp and a sub amp all hidden in the trunk.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

So my guess would be he was picking up the signal after it left the source and before it went into the Internal Amplifier (that may have been on the same circuit board) and sending that low level signal out some RCA's. HOw and where he did that I have no idea. YOu would really need to get to know the IQ internal Boards. I am sure they share similar layouts to other factory stereos so maybe some other firms might provide this service if they could get their hands on one for testing that is actually operational on the workbench.

May just want to search around general audio boards to see if anyone offers the service.

And then you would just have to figure out what voltage is present to see if maybe a line driver would be needed. Those are pretty small could even mount it in the case.

But honestly I think you can get good enough sound using a line converter or picking an amp with one already installed. SHort of competition sound quality people - most will not notice a difference.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
ig109

Post by ig109 »

So my car is a 13 and from what I understand it ONLY has the drivers for the front speakers.. so I couldn't even have an LOC that could give me all the needed outputs I don't think

My radio has had the chris white treatment and I don't really want to have to change the parts out for those from a 12 or 11 to get the rear outputs just to then run an LOC or sound processor to get the full deal.

Car has what.. 9 speaker holes available.. I'd like to have them all