2012 Caprice PPV will not start. No crank.

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
Willigaf

Re: 2012 Caprice PPV will not start. No crank.

Post by Willigaf »

I’m confident all the fuses are in tact. And I didn’t understand I was reading power, on all the fuses I mentioned getting a reading between fuse and ground. The grounds on block and around the engine bay and trunk that I could see are all in tact and tight.

I got a whiff of a page that mentioned a stabilitrak fault keeping the engine from cranking but haven’t been able to find it. A friend mentioned it.

Haven’t heard back from his calling the mechanic to see if he wanted the job so I’m guessing that’s a no lol.

Without having the service manual, assuming it tells the location of everything connected to the main computer, i have no idea what to test or where to look.

Doubled down on a cable from battery ground to block, and looking over fuses when my buddy stopped by.

Really don’t want to have it towed to a dealer, but that may be my only option soon.

Certainly open to any other suggestions before that.
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

checking voltage at the fuses is VERY IMPORTANT !!!! some things will not work with out full or near 12v , and you need to check the voltage on both sides of the fuse , ive seen some fuses blow enough to not carry 12v , and pass a continuity test

doesnt need to be a dealer , just a good competent shop
Willigaf

Post by Willigaf »

Grabbed a test light this morning and pretty much got all similar results. The light didn’t get very bright on the 4 fuses I mentioned yesterday. They’re F37-40 in the engine bay panel. One being labeled IGN ENG/FSCM. Everywhere else it lit up brightly with key off, unless it lit with key on. One still had no light at the kick panel, and didn’t light the tester via terminals either. 2amp swc bklt. Which I think stand for steering wheel control backlight.
Willigaf

Post by Willigaf »

Fingers crossed for a miracle before having it towed to a Chevy dealer. I’m not in a rush but it’s depressing I can’t drive it. Might be 2 more weekends worth of trying before I give up. Went to fb for more eyes, not that you guys haven’t been attentive.

Called a couple friends with shops. The one who inspected it all but said the check engine light must have come on for him to run the emissions test. Said the ECM just goes when it goes and that’s that.

He gave me the name of the county electrical wizard who said he’s too busy making EASY money but to reach out in the future and see if he’s slow. He seemed interested in the stabilitrak fault. Asked if the fuel pump came on after 10 mins of key on(it doesn’t).

Called a dealer who at least comforted me saying this was higher up on the food chain than the C tech doing oil changes. Was somewhat surprised he didn’t just try to make an appointment. Heard me out a bit before saying if I get it towed there he could have it checked out next week.

Mentioned the code to all with mixed reactions. Electrical feller said a better scanner will say what system has lost communication via a -xxxx code after the u0100.

Left a message for a guy with that scanner and offered a diagnostic fee for him to come down, but haven’t heard back yet.

Bypassed fusible link at main battery to rule that out. I think the main computer is under the engine bay fuse block so next I’m gonna look to that and see if there’s corrosion on the terminals/ensure tightness of connections. Maybe I can find power at some of those. After that I’ll follow the wires to more modules and rinse and repeat. But I’m back to work tomorrow so it might be a couple days.
Willigaf

Post by Willigaf »

s/c'd cav wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:14 am
doesnt need to be a dealer , just a good competent shop
I have one more guy to call before the dealer option gets real...
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

fuses need to be checked with the circuit on , aka ign fuse with the key on , int/ext lights with the light switch on
Willigaf

Post by Willigaf »

When do the steering wheel buttons light up? I don’t recall if they did before but that’s the only one I can’t get power at.
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

with the headlight on , and dimmer at full bright , unless the car is in stealth mode , or they arent working
Willigaf

Post by Willigaf »

Defeat. Will update with prognosis.
Attachments
45B7D117-5794-4194-A186-798525DAC71A.jpeg
45B7D117-5794-4194-A186-798525DAC71A.jpeg (17.05 KiB) Viewed 7391 times
Michmadcap

Post by Michmadcap »

Did the dealer get your car to start. What was the problem. I have my 2013 at dealer now getting all lock cylinders changed to random key. They called last night said it will not start no engine immobilized code. I was wondering what your problem was to tell them where to start. They are waiting until next week to call GM.