2012 Caprice PPV will not start. No crank.

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
Willigaf

Re: 2012 Caprice PPV will not start. No crank.

Post by Willigaf »

It only cranks when jumping terminals under the hood where the CRNK relay should be. Between the key and there is the phantom menace. Hopefully something to do with the RUN relay at the kick panel.
Willigaf

Post by Willigaf »

Alright so with my finger on the RUN relay I can feel the click of the relay when I turn the key all the way forward.

Tried to crank while moving shifter back and forth, no change.
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

get a digital multi meter , and check the voltage at the relay , sounds like its missing its power that it sends to the starter
Willigaf

Post by Willigaf »

Will do that. I have additional news. Just realized, at key on, no check engine light shows on the dash. In the owners manual they show it near the top left. I am beating myself silly at not having made sure it lit up when I test drove the car. I admit I was pretty excited. I swear on my way to see it the words went through my mind. “Make sure the CEL is working”.

And now I don’t remember so I’m just gonna say, time to pay the idiot tax.

My friend has an old solus scanner that might be up to task. He’s been out of the business a while and thought it dead until recently. It MIGHT be good for a car this new. When he answers the phone we’ll see.

Had a helper turn the key for me moments ago. From off to run, with a finger on the relays, I feel the click at IGN and PWR/TRN relays under the hood. When he turned the key to start, no click felt at the CRNK relay.

Feeling pretty dumb about the CEL right now though. Pretty glad it’s not on a $13k Asia motors car though.
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

try key , and jump the relay to crank it over and see if it starts and runs

im think there is a fuse you havent found yet
Willigaf

Post by Willigaf »

That was my first move after I found out how to get the engine spinning. It was like the first time I bridged a Ford truck starter solenoid! Minus the satisfaction of being able to get to an $8 or $10 an hour job on time in my teens.

Used a nail wrapped in a candy bar wrapper as insulation back then haha. Easily ten years and several similar trucks and bad grounds went by before I found out those are a $15 part and the ground cable only $35. The factory one.

Thanks for sticking with it guys. You’ll know what I know when I know it. Tomorrow my coworker will lend me his iPhone obd2 reader and maybe I can see if there’s any codes. Tuesday/Wednesday I’ll be able to play with it during the day.
Willigaf

Post by Willigaf »

Not great news but a starting point. Code U0100.

Generic for signal lost between ECM and a “particular” module.

Googling suggests if no other codes are present, ecm is probably faulty. And will probably need programming once replaced.

All the blade fuses under the hood, in the trunk, and at the kick panel have continuity on their backsides with the multimeter set on the beep thing.

The 3 larger metal cased fuses on passenger side of trunk as well, but I think most everything on that side isn’t a part of this.
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

check voltages , not continuity
Willigaf

Post by Willigaf »

I have a feeling I took the easy way out on checking voltages at the fuses. Do you mean pull the fuse and check each terminal for power or ground, with key on or off depending where I get a reading?

Because that’s mostly what I didn’t do.

What I did do, was put a lead on a positive or ground and then a lead to the back of the blade fuses. They pretty much all had battery power or a good ground with the key on or off depending which gave me a reading.

Then the BATT2 and STRTR square fuses I pulled, to check continuity on each and see if power and ground flowed to either blade in fuse panel. Starter fuse good on ground side, no power on power side but wasn’t able to keep key in crank and view meter. BATT2 had power and ground.

F23 at the kick panel for SWC BKLT, I couldn’t get any reading key on or off. I should mention I only got ground readings at the kick panel, between fuse and parking brake cable bracket.

Under the hood one catches my attention, well 4. F37-40 all the same reading. But number 39 for IGN ENG/FSCM, I can read 12v ground with the key on and not off. And no power reading.

Edit: I replaced starter with battery disconnected long enough to clear any codes that may have been present beforehand. And the stabilitrak fault keeps making me think I created the problem by turning it off, which likely never happened while in service. Maybe the switch is bad or something.
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

The best way to check all of the small fuses is with an ice pick style test light. You need one with an incandescent bulb, not a LED bulb. The incandescent bulb will put more of a load on the circuit. I have seen digital volt meters give a volt reading but would not light an old school test light.

Hook the test light to a ground, turn the key in the run position and touch both sides of the fuse. The test light should light up on both sides if the circuit you are testing is powered up with the key in the run position. If it lights up only on one side, you found a blown fuse.

David