2012 Caprice PPV will not start. No crank.

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
Willigaf

Re: 2012 Caprice PPV will not start. No crank.

Post by Willigaf »

Found this on passenger side. Looks like bolt head broke off ground but I haven’t found it so it’s probably been that way since I got it. Battery was at like 1.7 volts so it’s out on a trickle charger now.

I did ground that cable to the hold down and put a jump pack on it to see if some miracle happened. It did not.

Have a 2nd trickle charger on main battery mostly so it doesn’t crap out on me while I wait on said miracle :(
Attachments
D9533A6D-6DAD-4C1E-8C6D-6705B2D81111.jpeg
D9533A6D-6DAD-4C1E-8C6D-6705B2D81111.jpeg (2.17 MiB) Viewed 7237 times
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Starting: https://www.chiltonlibrary.com/content/ ... 662683.pdf

Oh that looks rusty. You in a corrosion belt? The G8 guys had an issue of the ground bolt becoming corroded. If the AUX battery is that bad I am sure the main is not looking much better.

https://www.g8board.com/threads/battery ... rs.224746/

You said you tried the battery cable trick from the battery to the front. Did you ground it on the engine block?
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

that is the aux battery , has nothing to do with the starting
Willigaf wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:04 pm Found this on passenger side. Looks like bolt head broke off ground but I haven’t found it so it’s probably been that way since I got it. Battery was at like 1.7 volts so it’s out on a trickle charger now.

I did ground that cable to the hold down and put a jump pack on it to see if some miracle happened. It did not.

Have a 2nd trickle charger on main battery mostly so it doesn’t crap out on me while I wait on said miracle :(
Willigaf

Post by Willigaf »

I didn’t find a great ground on the actual block. There’s the hook thing for hoisting I assume, and a lug here or there. I’ll try it again.

Thanks for the diagram. Yes to rust belt. Car is from MD and just outside Philly now. As for the G8 board when I tried to log in it says I’m banned for spam. Last week whenever I tried to open a post there it would redirect me to some spam site saying I was the billionth click and I won a prize. I don’t know what’s going on there but I filled out their form so we’ll see.

Sc’d I’m aware of the auxiliary battery function now but I was crossing my fingers that some magic would happen. Looks like there’s enough wire back there, I would prefer the main battery be on the passenger side and delete the 2nd. Anyone tried it?
Willigaf

Post by Willigaf »

My cable could reach a spot on rear of passenger cylinder head and a manifold bolt but neither had any change. Earlier I tried the hook, the power steering pump bracket and somewhere even less likely to support grounding.
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

I would pull the starter relay that is under the hood and jump the terminals in the fuse block to see what the starter does. If the starter spins the engine at the proper speed, you will have eliminated all of your high amperage connections.

Or if there is another relay with the same number, swap the relays and see what happens.

David
Willigaf

Post by Willigaf »

Thanks Sanford. I will try after work today if there’s any light left. I’m fairly sure I did the relay swap with an hvac relay. Not to say it was up to task but I have a couple terminals I think should fit in those holes and a little wire I can solder or crimp on them.

I don’t open the electrical drawer of the toolbox often :D
Jeff 9c3

Post by Jeff 9c3 »

On my 11 i had left my obd2 adapter in the port and it would not start. It jist clicked in the trunk.
So you may have a issue with secerity system or key fob = dead or weak battery.
If you get it to run you may have hash shifting with the trans and abs lights on at 1st. I have had to reset my codes in the computer for these to go away after this issue i had no issues for 5 k miles.
2012 caprice ppv 9c3 . 135k & climbing daily.
Willigaf

Post by Willigaf »

May be a few days til I can get back at it. When I got home the sun was long set. Noticed auxiliary battery on tender actually dropped voltage from when I put it on the tender.

Main might be as bad as suggested earlier. Would be relieved and disappointed if it just needs replaced to solve my problem.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Willigaf wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:04 pm Found this on passenger side. Looks like bolt head broke off ground but I haven’t found it so it’s probably been that way since I got it. Battery was at like 1.7 volts so it’s out on a trickle charger now.

Heh, mine broke off too when I was removing the tray to clean/modify things a bit. I just used one of the other tray mounting bolts to secure the ground over there.

The bad part is, if you want to replace it with a new bolt, even relocating it, the metal over there is really hard. Drilling is a real chore in that part of the body. That's why I used an existing battery tray bolt to double as the ground bolt.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?