2014 Caprice flickering headlights and dome light???

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
Turbopowered68

2014 Caprice flickering headlights and dome light???

Post by Turbopowered68 »

The headlights and dome light were flickering with the old broken headlight switch so I got a replacement (used but looks perfect) but still having the same problem.

The high beams do NOT flicker just the low beams and interior OE dome light.
ALSO the automatic setting doesn't work only manual on and manual off
Where do I start looking??
FYI the horn doesn't work either not sure if related.
Thanks for your help
2014 Caprice V8
Elgin E-1840 P, LS9 Head gasket, LS7 Lifters, PAC-1218 springs, Trunion upgrade, Single roller timing set, Melling oil pump, ZL1 torque converter, Camaro Trans pan and filter.
1986 GN
212/212 Roller cam, 1.65 HR Rockers, 60-1 turbo, XFI 2.05, E85, Ebay Front mount IC, Husek Built TH200-4R trans, 3.42 gears 3800# .
1968 Chevelle
LQ4, 4L80, 12 bolt w/3.42 gears
rcg530

Re: 2014 Caprice flickering headlights and dome light???

Post by rcg530 »

Flickering lights can indicate the alternator may be providing a fluctuating voltage level. You may want to get a multimeter or a plug-in voltage meter to monitor the voltage level while the engine is running. The ECM (if I recall correctly) controls the voltage level requested of the alternator. You can see voltage in the mid 12s up to 15 volt range depending what the ECM believes the load on the charging system to be and the charge level of the battery. I don't know if the voltage level display in the driver information center (DIC) is quick enough to show pulsating voltage levels, but you can check the numbers provided in that screen as well.

The 14 Caprice does have an amp draw detection device (battery current sensor) wrapped around the negative cable in the rear trunk. Make sure it's present and nothing is connected directly to the negative battery cable that uses power while the engine is running. The battery current sensor has to see all of the power demands to provide accurate input so the ECM can command the correct charge level from the alternator. @smwalker please let me know if I stated that incorrectly.

The automatic headlamp feature is a body control module (BCM) configured feature in the 14-17 Caprice. Most PPVs have this disabled. The feature is tied to daytime running lights feature as well (both features enabled or disabled).

My 14's horn was working when I purchased it, so I don't have any insight into that issue.

In this video, I show the operation of the daytime running lights and the automatic headlamps after having the BCM updated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uBRSXwEu2s

In this video, I show the updating of the BCM using the ACDelco TDS / SPS system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AB_Hu9wT38

I hope that helps!
2014 Chevy Caprice PPV | RetroCarGuy530 YouTube Channel
Turbopowered68

Post by Turbopowered68 »

Just noticed that the lights only flicker when the car is in gear
2014 Caprice V8
Elgin E-1840 P, LS9 Head gasket, LS7 Lifters, PAC-1218 springs, Trunion upgrade, Single roller timing set, Melling oil pump, ZL1 torque converter, Camaro Trans pan and filter.
1986 GN
212/212 Roller cam, 1.65 HR Rockers, 60-1 turbo, XFI 2.05, E85, Ebay Front mount IC, Husek Built TH200-4R trans, 3.42 gears 3800# .
1968 Chevelle
Turbopowered68

Post by Turbopowered68 »

2014 Caprice V8
1986 GN
1968 Chevelle
Turbopowered68

Post by Turbopowered68 »

Electro Auto mechanics HELP
Headlights, glove box and dome lights flickering.
More info
On cold start the headlights didn't flicker at all EVEN IN GEAR.
After about 15 minutes of having the lights ON they started flickering only IN gear/out of park
Here is where it gets weird
In park = no flickering cold or hot.
IN gear NO flickering on COLD engine temp below 168*.
ALSO If I just move the shifter enough to give the signal to the computer/dash ( going out of parking) BUT NOT moved enough to engage the reverse it started flickering right away.
The lights Also flickered in neutral.
My guess is that the something is getting the “out of gear” signal and triggering the flickering.
I also put the car in neutral which should be the same as park But the lights still flickered
The high beams DO NOT flicker in any condition.
A loose wire that ONLY effects the lights out of park and the engine hot ???
A bad alt that ONLY effects the lights out of park and the engine hot ???

Does this car have a lights only control relay/module?
2014 Caprice V8
1986 GN
1968 Chevelle
rcg530

Post by rcg530 »

The body control module (BCM) is involved in the control of the headlamps. When the BCM is configured for automatic headlamp control along with daytime running lights, when you take it out of park, the BCM turns on the DRLs (during the day of course) and the BCM turns off the DRLs when you put it into park. Your car doesn't have the BCM configured for DRLs and automatic headlamps, but it is still wired that way so the BCM does control the headlamps. I believe the other flickering lights (glovebox and dome/ticket light) are also controlled by the BCM.

The things I would start checking are:
  • Make sure the battery cables are on tight on the battery posts and the negative battery cable is securely connected at its body mount point.
  • Make sure the battery itself tests good.
  • Make sure the DIC displayed battery voltage is verified by measuring the voltage with a volt meter.
  • Make sure the 12-volt positive connection to the back of the alternator is securely mount on the post at the rear/bottom of the alternator and the control wire connector is securely plugged into the alternator
  • Look for cut or damaged wires by the BCM in the passenger side footwell area behind the kick panel.
  • With a scan tool that can scan all of the vehicle's subsystems, scan for any DTCs (especially the BCM).
  • It could also be a bad BCM.
When the car is decommissioned, many of the people removing the police equipment will hack things badly and often that involves the wiring located in the same area as the BCM.
2014 Chevy Caprice PPV | RetroCarGuy530 YouTube Channel
Turbopowered68

Post by Turbopowered68 »

I can't find anyone local to me, so I will most likely end up at the dealer. With a new BCM.
What other stuff should I have them add to the BCM when having it programmed ?
And how do I exactly identify what i want added?
RPO code?
Which Codes?
Thank you VERY MUCH for your help.

rcg530 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:36 am The body control module (BCM) is involved in the control of the headlamps. When the BCM is configured for automatic headlamp control along with daytime running lights, when you take it out of park, the BCM turns on the DRLs (during the day of course) and the BCM turns off the DRLs when you put it into park. Your car doesn't have the BCM configured for DRLs and automatic headlamps, but it is still wired that way so the BCM does control the headlamps. I believe the other flickering lights (glovebox and dome/ticket light) are also controlled by the BCM.

The things I would start checking are:
  • Make sure the battery cables are on tight on the battery posts and the negative battery cable is securely connected at its body mount point.
  • Make sure the battery itself tests good.
  • Make sure the DIC displayed battery voltage is verified by measuring the voltage with a volt meter.
  • Make sure the 12-volt positive connection to the back of the alternator is securely mount on the post at the rear/bottom of the alternator and the control wire connector is securely plugged into the alternator
  • Look for cut or damaged wires by the BCM in the passenger side footwell area behind the kick panel.
  • With a scan tool that can scan all of the vehicle's subsystems, scan for any DTCs (especially the BCM).
  • It could also be a bad BCM.
When the car is decommissioned, many of the people removing the police equipment will hack things badly and often that involves the wiring located in the same area as the BCM.
2014 Caprice V8
1986 GN
1968 Chevelle
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

I would double check your grounds. Wonder if stray current is flowing through the driveline. Run some jumper cables from engine to the body to see if it changes anything.
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

When programming the BCM, ask them to program it to have the interior lights come on with the door.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
Turbopowered68

Post by Turbopowered68 »

Mooseman wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:45 pm When programming the BCM, ask them to program it to have the interior lights come on with the door.
Mine does that already
And the bluetooth works perfect with my phone
2014 Caprice V8
1986 GN
1968 Chevelle