Steering Wheel Buttons Don't work/ Airbag Fault

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
sac240

Steering Wheel Buttons Don't work/ Airbag Fault

Post by sac240 »

Hi all,

Recently installed headers on my 2012, and have run into an issue upon first start-up after the install. During the installation I left the key in and accessories on to avoid the steering lock, and drained the battery accidentally. Now upon re-start I have an airbag code and the steering wheel buttons don't work. I'm assuming I broke the clock spring when I disconnected the steering rod from the rack to fit the headers, and consequently none of the steering wheel buttons work now, but the air bag fault is more confusing.

I know it'll be impossible to tell what code I'm throwing without a scan, but has anyone run into a similar issue? Trying to run this down, the battery can now start the car, but maybe the voltage is too low and its throwing an airbag code as a result? Thanks for the help in advance guys.
GammaFlat

Re: Steering Wheel Buttons Don't work/ Airbag Fault

Post by GammaFlat »

I am guessing but maybe your steering wheel air bag is now kaput because of the clock spring as well?
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio
sac240

Post by sac240 »

That actually makes a lot of sense, I'll get one ordered and see what pans out.
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

the clock springs handles , both the airbag in the steering wheel and the buttons on the wheel , you should have left the colum LOCKED

also make sure when you replace the clock spring the car is parked as you would be driving it straight , and do not rotate the clock spring or the steering wheel while installing it , the steering wheel posistion sensor will get off center and cause stability issues
sac240

Post by sac240 »

The worst part is I've done this exact job on my g8 in the past and remembered to leave the wheel locked. It's been a couple of years and that little detail slipped my mind. Thanks for the tips on installation.