Activating the Navigation function on my 2012 PPV radio

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
keherrington

Activating the Navigation function on my 2012 PPV radio

Post by keherrington »

How do I activate the Navigation function on my radio? Do I need to replace the radio unit with another?
Keith
K9Vic

Re: Activating the Navigation function on my 2012 PPV radio

Post by K9Vic »

you cannot and yes.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

You might be able to source a Aus. version radio through either Crazy Paul or through JHP. Be aware it will be pricy, and you have to get the US maps for it as well if you want the NAV active. I think JHP does provide the maps if you purchase their unit. Greg (one of our other users) did go the JHP route and his navi is working, his is the only Caprice in the US that I know of that has active nav.

Welcome to the wonderful world of GM's "de-contenting" to cheapen the vehicles for police service. Most of what has been done we've found workarounds or other solutions for, the nav option is just one of those you have to throw your wallet at to make it happy.

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
radrace19

Post by radrace19 »

You will only need a few parts.
You will need the silver nav box from Australia. This is the hard and expensive part to find, and you will need the TMC splitter.

Then send the box to Chris White for programming and US maps. All of your current trim and radio faceplate will work just fine.
-Greg
gregc

Post by gregc »

Nav not worth it, in my opinion. The Nav on my iPhone connected to my upgraded radio works better. I use my iPhone as an IPOD and I use the Maps app on the phone. Whenever it gives me turn by turn directions, the music volume lowers so I can hear the directions. This can be done via Bluetooth as well, but your phone battery dies faster.

Like everyone else said, in order to get the Nav to function, you need to get a radio that has the Nav components in it.
GTPprix

Post by GTPprix »

gregc wrote:Nav not worth it, in my opinion. The Nav on my iPhone connected to my upgraded radio works better. I use my iPhone as an IPOD and I use the Maps app on the phone. Whenever it gives me turn by turn directions, the music volume lowers so I can hear the directions. This can be done via Bluetooth as well, but your phone battery dies faster.

Like everyone else said, in order to get the Nav to function, you need to get a radio that has the Nav components in it.
This is why you don't get JHP's external non OEM nav ;(
Chris White
http://www.whiteautoandmedia.com
2022 3LT Red Mist Coupe
2023 70th Anniversary Z06 HTC
2023 Escalade V
2023 Yukon Denali Ultimate LM2
2022 Camaro ZL1 M6