HSV E3 / Maloo binnacle gauges

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
Crazy Paul

Re: HSV E3 / Maloo binnacle gauges

Post by Crazy Paul »

elc32955 wrote:Hey CP...
Just to let you know the box made it here... although my heart stopped for a min when I first saw it.
But, never fear, when I opened the box the piece was intact. Now the fun begins.... :)
Hi Eric,
I'm glad everything survived.
Fkn waste of time putting Fragile labels on things I tell you.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

That just encourages the shipping trolls. I watched UPS playing basketball with small packages once in a inter-facility transport truck that was being loaded. Someone had placed a suction cup basketball hoop and backboard setup on the inside front wall of a box truck, and the delivery staff was taking turns trying to toss the smaller packages through the hoop. Needless to say I do not ship UPS anymore unless I absolutely have to....

It's probably worse with the air mail goons though.... "(yelling) It'll all fit Mac, just crush 'em down some more!!"
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Spotted on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-2009-Ponti ... 3cda36c310" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Crazy Paul

Post by Crazy Paul »

Navy Lifer wrote:Spotted on ebay:
You don't want that unless you've got a G8 radio and climate control etc etc.
It's a step in the wrong direction IMO.

Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

That's why I posted it...I knew somebody with the requisite smarts would come through with the right info! ;)
gregc

Post by gregc »

Eric,
Have you installed the gauge pod yet? Did you have to buy the black radio face, new bracket, and the appliqués?
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Got the pod plastic only. I'm working on a variant of the design that will fit the Caprice directly with our existing trim. The machine shop I talked to wanted to defer until after the holidays (can't really blame them as everyones either distracted, on egg nog, or on vacation!). When I get a good cut-down done we'll see what happens. This might be a next-week project.
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Stumbled across yet another possible resource....on further review, it's probably the same source as I posted (ebay link) previously, since it's (also) in Woonsocket RI. Still, the website gives more information, and (not to dismiss CP's observations) it's pretty clear this outfit can do the same thing with a PPV center stack bezel as they have done with G8.

http://www.ortizcustompods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ortizcustompods.com/pontiac.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... 5169_n.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(quote)
If we dont have a Gauge Pod for your Vehicle, Send Us a Message with the Year & Model, We will send you an Idea where we can customize a gauge pod for your Vehicle
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Just a quick status, last week I received the gauge pod plastic back with the needed modifications to the bottom for use in a PPV. The shop did a overall good job, but I think the bottom cuts may be slightly off dimensionally as far as the angle of the outer plastic in relation to the clearance from the PPV silver trim and the radio face. I need to take some time this week and do a good comparison and a fitment test with my car. If it fits OK then I'll have a good test & development mule to work with. If it's off slightly on the larger side it may be something that a few tweaks with a Dremel, some clamps, and a steady hand can solve readily. If it's on the shorter side then that's more of a challenge. There's also a few back-end items I have to take care of before I can go much further.

Anyway, the project is not dead and I'm working it slowly and steadily...
cal30_sniper

Post by cal30_sniper »

Eric, did you ever get anywhere with this?

Now that VE prices have started to come down, I'm thinking about importing the black face IQ unit, dash spears, and console parts to do the whole swap. I'd be interested if you found a better route though.
-2011 Caprice 9C3: Mirage Glow Metallic, 63k miles
-2011 Caprice 9C1 (Gone)
-1973 Firebird Formula, restoration in progress
-1986 K30 Suburban 8.1L/NV4500, the toy hauler and wheeler