Backup Camera Setup

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
xcidmigs

Re: Backup Camera Setup

Post by xcidmigs »

I just got that plate camera and have my radio on its way back to me, can anyone explain how they ran the cables from the tag holder to inside the trunk? i have my right side trunk panel open and the plastic lower trim off so i can see how to go from there but i guess i need to drill a hole in the bumper cover behind tag area and push wires inside? I feel like there is several layers of metal behind it though? Pics would be very helpful for anyone who did it
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

xcidmigs wrote:I just got that plate camera and have my radio on its way back to me, can anyone explain how they ran the cables from the tag holder to inside the trunk? i have my right side trunk panel open and the plastic lower trim off so i can see how to go from there but i guess i need to drill a hole in the bumper cover behind tag area and push wires inside? I feel like there is several layers of metal behind it though? Pics would be very helpful for anyone who did it
I know what is standard on most cars is behind the bumper cover and in the body metal there will be rubber grommets at each side of the car very low on the body that act as drains if water gets into the trunk. Cutting a slot in the rubber grommet is better than drilling into the body metal even if it requires running a bit more cord to get into the interior of the car.

Here is an example of a back up sensor wire on my nieces Astra run in through the passenger side body grommet:
Astra wire entrance.jpg
Astra wire entrance.jpg (55.18 KiB) Viewed 13748 times
This was taken with he bumper cover removed but see if you can look up in there on your caprice and see any opportunities to run the wire in.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
storm9c1

Post by storm9c1 »

Taken from my trailer hitch thread... If you look at the bumper area with the bumper cover off, there are two grommets you can poke a small hole in to gain access to the trunk. In the second pic, you can see I ran the trailer hitch wiring through the passenger side hole. The bumper cover is easy to remove.

Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

can anyone post up the diagrams for the rear bumper cover so i can see how to remove it correctly?
storm9c1

Post by storm9c1 »

If nobody has a diagram, let me explain it from memory.

1) Remove the bolts/snaps around the wheel house that go into the cover. There should be like 3 or so on each side.
2) Remove 3 or so plastic snaps from the rear underside of cover below the impact beam.
3) Push in on one rear corner to release it from the wheel house area. Once released, the side of the cover should flare/flex out.
4) Have a friend hold one side while you repeat step 2 for the other side (or use a box, stool, chair, etc to support the released side).
5) Carefully pull the cover rearward about 6 inches then STOP to prevent wire damage (unplugged in next step).
6) There should be a loose wire for the license plate lamp or something like that. Unplug it now.
7) Set cover aside.

The fasteners above are from memory, I do remember a mixture of bolts/snaps/scrivets for step 1 and 2, but not sure on exactly how many.
It can be done with one person if you've done rear bumper covers yourself before by doing step 3 standing in the middle, holding it, then using another hand to push inward on each side, but this takes practice.
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

good directions there sorry i didn't take pics, the hardest thing is just pushing in on the sides of the cover while its still attached, feels like it will break a tab but it definitely did not and one you do that you can just slid the whole thing back and rest it on a couple of boxes like 10" off the ground or so without disconnecting anything else. then you have access to the grommets that go inside the trunk area and can drill a hole in the tag area run the wires and reinstall. was only a 30 min operation, rest of with wiring will take longer.
lvgmman

Post by lvgmman »

i have a g8 i am swapping over to a hsv e3 iq system nav blah blah blah. i was sent to this forum for the backup camera input adapter..... help a brother out. i have everything else, we have the camera stuff a bit easier because our plates are in the trunk lid. i just ordered an aftermarket camera from china that is for the holden commodore, it replaces the license plate light with a camera/led light.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

I wrote this in another thread Here but will include the only relevant part below:

The video connector plug is available from a board member by the name "yuimyt" yui_4000@yahoo.com . Yui sells them for $40.00 as a put it together yourself kit or $60.00 fully assembled. I would highly suggest the assembled version. These contacts are super small and the wires for the video plugs even smaller. The connector is made by SMK and their part number is CSC1020-1882F. Minimum Order I have found to be 500 so for now Yuimyt has a corner on the market.

Good Luck!!
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

In the interest of adding content where it will do the most good, I've taken a post from a "new owner" thread to make the info relevant to the subject.
smwalker wrote:Yea that would be a nice addition. Went and looked for the no hole molding and was quite hard to find at all the normal sources. Only one place seems to list it and then with no price. So if you do switch to the camera molding keep the no hole as someone wanting a very clean looking caprice might want to buy it fro you.

GM Part Reference:
With Camera Hole - 92263704 - About $150 (same part number used back to Mid 2012)
With Out Camera Hole - 92263706 - About $60

No Hole conversion does not have that great a ring to it.
De-Keyed Trunk molding, yea that's better.
For 2011-2013, the hole in the chrome trim plate is used for manual key access to the trunk. In 2014, a new trunk lid stamping provides the key access separately, above the current hole & trim plate.

As mentioned, there are different trim plates by model year and existence of the factory rear view camera. The camera is standard for 2015, but I'm not sure if it was optional in 2014. The other question for civilian use is just how important retaining the ability to open the trunk with a key may be--Steve addressed this already in this thread: http://newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=824" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What I'm wanting to know is whether the OE camera (PN 92292247) can be used in 2011-2013 trunk lid and mount in place of the manual key lock cylinder. Clearly, it's not as simple as just bolting in the camera--there's wiring and radio/electronics interface configuration to be worked out.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oe-gm/92292247" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's not clear whether non-PPV models have no manual key trunk access, but it does not appear to be the case (no key hole in Holden Caprice), which makes me wonder just how important it is to retain the manual key--but I understand that it would be smart(est) to change the rear seat to provide trunk access to reach the manual cable release should a dead battery situation arise...but a jumper box or jump start should be able to provide power to get the trunk open if power is lost. I suppose that only the PPV lacks a reach-through to the trunk to reach the mechanical release.

The license plate frame camera was one solution, but with the number of different camera configurations used in production by GM and others, plus whatever is available in the aftermarket, is there one that could mount at the top of the license plate pocket in the bumper cover, in the same general area where Steve placed the relocated trunk key access?

Moving the existing key for 2011-2013 cars seems like a lot to do, (unless it's being removed completely) just to put the camera in the spot now occupied by a lock cylinder. It just seems like it would be easier, and just as effective, to use a camera mounted in the pocket in the bumper cover.

I had raised this question in Steve's key relocation thread from awhile back: http://newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=824" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - at the time, it wasn't clear (to me) exactly where the production camera was being mounted, and I've since figured that out.

To tie this together with existing camera install information, here's Steve's thread:
http://newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=836" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
9C1fanatic

Post by 9C1fanatic »

What I'm wanting to know is whether the OE camera (PN 92292247) can be used in 2011-2013 trunk lid and mount in place of the manual key lock cylinder. Clearly, it's not as simple as just bolting in the camera--there's wiring and radio/electronics interface configuration to be worked out.

Here is my take on this Bill,

As a disclaimer, I have little hands on experience with 11-13 models. That being said...here it goes.

Many car manufacturers have deleted passenger side door and trunk key cylinders for various reasons dating back over 10 years. With the collective information I know to date on Holden offerings and judging on what the Pontiac G8 looked like here in 2008-2009, I believe fully that this body style (Zeta based) Holden Caprice was designed with from the start with no key cylinder for the trunk as most contemporary cars are. I also believe that a rear vision camera was optional in other markets since the beginning of this car's release or shortly thereafter. Since key cylinders are an officer safety issue among other things, Chevrolet retrofitted the 2011-2013 cars with a key cylinder using the lowest cost approach in using a hole already in the trunk that usually was used for a camera.

The rear vision camera was not available as an option in 2014. I believe 2014 got the updated trunk stamping with relocation of the key cylinder in preparation of the 2015 model where Chevrolet wanted to retain the key cylinder as well as offer a rear camera. Having looked at 2014s and 2015s I can say that the 2014 smooth molding actually has the same square bracket on the back that the camera snaps into, its just the chrome face of the molding is smooth and covers the hole. Both 14 and 15s have the same cable system that the 11-13s have where the key merely pulls a cable that is connected to the latch. The same hole where the key is on 2011-2013 is present on 2014 cars without camera and 2015 cars with camera.

If you were willing to lose the key hole on a 2011-2013, I am confident that the 2015 PPV molding would bolt right up to an older car. Crazy Paul could probably confirm this as I would be willing to bet the part number for the 2015 Caprice PPV molding is the same part number used on any 2007-present Caprice with a rear camera option.

On a side note for 2014 guys, I have checked and the connector for the camera is not present in our wiring harness as delivered from Chevrolet. On the 2015 cars, the camera plugs into a connector that comes out of the auxiliary battery and up fit harnesses in the trunk that contain some of the PPV specific wiring. Its about mid way between the back seat and the aux battery (if equipped). That being said, Ill be building some 2015 cars next month and while I have the interior out, Ill see if maybe there is another connector in the car somewhere that would allow a plug and play OEM camera by obtaining the entire 2015 PPV trunk harness.

For those of you who do not know, the police specific wiring on these cars including police specific options like spot lights, dome lights, trunk lights, etc are not installed at the factory in Elizabeth Australia. Every PPV interior is disassembled at the Kerr Industries factory in California and these items and harnesses are installed. The police specific wiring harnesses are serviceable separate from the other harnesses in the car. I'm talking about grill/siren wiring, up fitter battery and ignition connection points, activation for BCM tail flash, surveillance mode, horn ring etc...

The same is true for Impala and Tahoe. Kerr Industries has factories in Arlington Texas and Canada that are associated with the location of the production of those vehicles.
Garner Ames

1975 Pontiac Grand Am L77 - 14.82 @ 92.89
1991 Chevrolet C1500 L31 Vortec/5 Speed
2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LM7
2014 Chevrolet Caprice 9C1 L77 - 13.60 @ 105.87
2019 Chevrolet Express 3500 L96