Fuel door lock

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Fuel door lock

Post by Navy Lifer »

This is an easy mod from G8!

PPV has a push-latch mechanism for the fuel filler door. The G8 also has a lock for the door that activates with the door locks. The locking assembly is PN 92219624 and bolts in as a replacement to the stock latch. The wiring runs inside the body to a point in the trunk over the right rear wheel well, and is connected to the door lock circuit there, via a pigtail & connector. When the doors are locked, the fuel filler door is locked, and it is accessible when the doors are unlocked.

I just got the parts and have not done anything with them yet, so I have not discovered yet whether the PPV actually has the connector for the lock actuator in it's harness, but I doubt it--if anyone already knows, either way, please speak up!

The pigtail assembly, if needed, is ACDelco PT-1516 (GM 88953305)
fueldoor3.JPG
fueldoor3.JPG (34.14 KiB) Viewed 17433 times
fueldoor1.JPG
fueldoor1.JPG (29.42 KiB) Viewed 17433 times
fueldoor2.JPG
fueldoor2.JPG (31.76 KiB) Viewed 17433 times
elc32955
System Manager

Re: Fuel door lock

Post by elc32955 »

Keep us closely updated on this one Bill. I am so tired of my fuel door being blown open when I go through a car wash, also this would be a easy preventative for fuel siphoners. Wonder if it's just a momentary pulse of 12V for latch/unlatch? If so, maybe we could get it to work with a momentary push switch from the dash or glove box if the harness doesn't have the needed connector. After all the hole for the trunk popper switch is still there in the glovebox... :)

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Got the pigtail, just in case it's not part of the PPV body harness,

The actuator is a geared motor that moves a pin in or out based on the command from the door lock system. I do not know what the default position is when no power is applied, or if there is a "fail" position...,l'd say it's a momentary command and it stays in the last position until the lock system is activated to move it to the other position.

If the car is locked and the battery runs down or power is lost for some reason, the gas door is not accessible (locked) until power is restored and a command can be sent--there is no manual override that I can see, although it should be possible (with the trunk trim removed) to reach the back of the actuator with a couple of fingers, and manually move the actuator pin rearward to disengage the lock.

Not a big deal--if the car needs fuel, among other essential things it also needs electrical power to operate, so the fuel filler is secure until it's necessary to access it, and power is available for that purpose.

I don't know why you might prefer to do a separate gas door circuit, and the question then is do you also want the gas door to lock when the doors are locked? Seems like a pretty simple and handy feature as it's configured now.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Sorry for the delay, I went to answer the post last night and for some reason my post was lost, not sure if it was the balky server or something else. Anyway.....

I'm sure the lock system will be fine to work the fuel door solenoid as long as it can be interfaced. I was trying to think outside the box to offer an alternate hook-up method in the event the plug is either not present in the Caprice harness or it's impractical to wire directly into the harness for some reason. I've wired enough trunk solenoids in police cars that didn't have them over the years to know pretty much the basics of what's involved.

Keep us posted on how the hookup goes. This is definitely a "soon" project for me!

Thanks again
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Troutman

Post by Troutman »

I'm not sure if it can be accessed from the trunk as a failsafe. I suppose the odds of losing both battery power and gas at the same time are low.

Not sure if the PPV is the same, but I have the 2 stage unlocking (it only unlocks the driver's door with the remote, and you have to push a second time for the remaining doors). I once learned the hard way that all doors have to be unlocked - not just the driver's - for the gas cap to be accessible.
storm9c1

Post by storm9c1 »

Troutman wrote:I'm not sure if it can be accessed from the trunk as a failsafe. I suppose the odds of losing both battery power and gas at the same time are low.

Not sure if the PPV is the same, but I have the 2 stage unlocking (it only unlocks the driver's door with the remote, and you have to push a second time for the remaining doors). I once learned the hard way that all doors have to be unlocked - not just the driver's - for the gas cap to be accessible.
On the PPV, the 2-stage unlock is configurable from the customize menu, I believe the submenu is "Security". I set my for single press to unlock all doors.
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Bill, did you ever get this installed and/or figure out if the plug is on the harness?

Eric
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

No, not yet--realize this car is (usually) wife's DD, so I'm looking for a "window of opportunity" which has not presented itself at this point. Sorry for the delay!
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Done, works great! Again, thanks to Scott Williams....
elc32955 wrote:Bill, did you ever get this installed and/or figure out if the plug is on the harness?

Eric
There is no harness connector in the PPV for this function. The pigtail mentioned will be necessary if you want a connector--it could be hard-wired if desired, but that takes away the ability to disconnect and remove the latch assembly, if it should be necessary.

As far as where to tie into the door lock circuitry, it becomes a choice--as already mentioned, you can program the door locks in several ways (or select from several programming schemes), so depending on where the wiring connections are made, the gas door lock/unlock will be affected accordingly.

At present, my car is (default?) programmed to unlock both front doors on the first click of the RKE transmitter, and the gas door unlocks with that command. If I re-program to have only the driver's door to unlock on the first click of the RKE, I'm not sure whether the gas door will unlock....it all is determined by which 2 wires (by location physically in the car) are accessed for the command signals.
Troutman wrote:I'm not sure if it can be accessed from the trunk as a failsafe.
Correct - the door latch actuator is behind an internal brace in that area. My car also has the auxiliary battery, which further impedes access.
filler door lock pin extended
filler door lock pin extended
fueldoor4.jpg (38.56 KiB) Viewed 17433 times
filler door lock pin retracted
filler door lock pin retracted
fueldoor5.jpg (41.24 KiB) Viewed 17433 times
harness & pigtail - clip on harness snaps into oval hole just outboard of aux battery
harness & pigtail - clip on harness snaps into oval hole just outboard of aux battery
fueldoor6.jpg (41.16 KiB) Viewed 17433 times
Pigtail is plugged into harness connector.  Wires from door lock circuit were run along wireway under door opening trim plates from right front footwell corner kickplate area into trunk.
Pigtail is plugged into harness connector. Wires from door lock circuit were run along wireway under door opening trim plates from right front footwell corner kickplate area into trunk.
fueldoor7.jpg (42.15 KiB) Viewed 17433 times
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

OK. If you want to try your format out and have pics this can be the first tech writeup in the permanent sticky section. I was looking at the section on my car a few days ago when I had everything apart and even took a specific pic as I was wondering how this was coming along. This is what I'm looking at in the section in question.....
IMG_3326.JPG
IMG_3326.JPG (1.72 MiB) Viewed 18248 times
This next pic shows a very good shot of the aux. electrical section before I made my amplifier add. From what you were saying above the battery is in the way or has to be dealt with so I'll throw this one in as well...
IMG_3325.JPG
IMG_3325.JPG (1.5 MiB) Viewed 18248 times
Thanks
Eric