flush mount LEDs to fill pushbar holes

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
bsparks72

flush mount LEDs to fill pushbar holes

Post by bsparks72 »

Yes, I realize this is going to be a love it or hate it thing, but I got tired of looking at 2 jagged holes in my bumper cover where the pushbar used to be. Replacing and painting the bumper cover were out of the realm right now, as there are a lot more things I'd rather do than spend a grand or two on that. So, I set out looking for options.

The name brand LED driving/fog/offroad lights were too expensive, so I found these flush mounts on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J5A ... UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Being $75 a pair shipped (Amazon Prime) and with pretty good reviews, I figured I'd give it a shot. I found that there's about 4 inches between the bumper cover and the actual bumper behind it, so these had enough room to slide in by about 1/2 inch. Being cheap lights, these didn't come with a template, hardware, switches or anything but the 2 lights. I made a template out of the cardboard box they came in, and found that the hole I needed was just about the width of the current pushbar holes, but about it needed to be about twice as tall as it was. I cut it out with a Dremel cutoff wheel.

As for wiring, I didn't want to run relays, wires, and a switch, so I wanted to tap into the high beams, as that's about the only time I'd use these anyway is with the high beams on. As my car was equipped with the 6J7 headlight flasher option, I was all set up (see the police equipment section of the forum for more info). I had already run a switch for the headlight/taillight flashers and had gotten familiar with the setup. One of the flasher harness connectors under the hood only has 2 wires coming out of it, after the flasher. They are dark green/black and dark green/white on my car, after the connector, going to the headlights. Those are the left and right high beam positive wires. I wired my left side high beam to the right side driving light, and vice versa, just so the high beams and driving lights would be flashing on opposite sides with the flashers on. Otherwise, with the regular high beams on it doesn't matter. I ran the grounds to the bracket on the underhood fuse box that has a couple of relays mounted to it. The LEDs draw very few amps, so I'm not worried about overloading the circuit.

Before the warnings about having the headlight/taillight flashers, be sure that these won't be used on the street. I'm an older guy, former law enforcement, and have no desire to visit the other side of the jail bars!

I just finished up, so I'm wanting to see how much light I get tonight with the high beams on. Check them out. The video is kinda sketchy, but the first few seconds look pretty accurate.

http://vid6.photobucket.com/albums/y211 ... ndgmiy.mp4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by bsparks72 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Brandon
2012 9C1 L77 - 228/234, .604/.609 112 cam, JBA shorty headers, Solo high-flow cats, X-pipe, Cherry Bomb single-chamber mufflers (Frankenstein exhaust), Roto-Fab CAI, CTS-V torque converter, 3.45 Camaro diff, G8 red/black seats/steering wheel
CrashTestDummy

Re: flush mount LEDs to fill pushbar holes

Post by CrashTestDummy »

That's a clean install. They look like they point a bit outward, though, right? I guess that would help illuminate the side of the streets, though, which would be very helpful out where I live.

How much power do they require?
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
bsparks72

Post by bsparks72 »

I think that pic is a little deceptive. They're relatively straight forward, with just a slight aim to the outside. They're flood lights more than spot lights, so it really doesn't matter. I just tried them out last night, and let me say they absolutely light up everything! The factory high beams do a pretty good job (especially compared to the factory low beams), but these lights really add to it. It's easy to tell, because the LED light is much whiter, so I can see exactly which part the LED is doing.

I'm not sure on the draw, but having one of them on the left high beam circuit and one on the left, it's not enough to really matter. Probably just a few amps. I should go get pics of a dark roadway with the low beams and one with the highs. That would be a good comparison.
-Brandon
2012 9C1 L77 - 228/234, .604/.609 112 cam, JBA shorty headers, Solo high-flow cats, X-pipe, Cherry Bomb single-chamber mufflers (Frankenstein exhaust), Roto-Fab CAI, CTS-V torque converter, 3.45 Camaro diff, G8 red/black seats/steering wheel
bsparks72

Post by bsparks72 »

-Brandon
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Our '12 didn't have big square holes, but thin wide ones, about 1/2"X2-3". They were taped over, and very well hidden in the pictures. My wife noticed the tape when she was helping me put the car in our shop (had to maneuver it in a side door, as the race car trailer was disconnected from the truck). Anyway, after looking at a similar nerf bar on another '12 (a guy who brought his 9C1 to yesterday's autocross)(Hey, Krzysztof :-) ), it looks like there are some narrow strobes I could mount over those holes that would 1. cover the holes, and 2. make things look a bit more official, even if they don't work.

OTOH, it might be nice to have some sort of driving light there, instead. Do they make anything that's rectangular, instead of square like you got?
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
storm9c1

Post by storm9c1 »

If each light is 18W, current draw should be about 3 amps total. Wayyyyy better than the old halogen bulbs which would draw 55W each for a total of almost 10 amps.
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.
bsparks72

Post by bsparks72 »

CrashTestDummy wrote:OTOH, it might be nice to have some sort of driving light there, instead. Do they make anything that's rectangular, instead of square like you got?
All I've found that are like you describe are the name brand...and rather pricey!!! And that is PER LIGHT. They are good, though.

http://www.amazon.com/Rigid-Industries- ... 26&sr=1-20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rgd-93231" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or a smaller, cheaper version:

http://www.amazon.com/Rigid-Industries- ... 363&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Something like this might work, but you'd have to get creative on the mounting. You'd still likely get some usable light out of them as well. Show to be 4.5 x 3.8 x 2.8 inches.

http://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING%C2%AE-B ... 61&sr=1-47" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Brandon
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Wow! And also BIG! 10"X8". I'm thinking of something to cover the holes, not the bumper. :-)
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
bsparks72

Post by bsparks72 »

Just a bad description from Amazon. That's probably the size of the box. Both versions of the Rigid ares 4-3/16" x 2-3/8".
-Brandon
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

These might work in white:

http://www.whelen.com/auto/product?head ... rod_id=145" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure what kind of pattern they throw out, or if I can use them like a driving/fog light, running constantly, instead of flashing. Size is right, though.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?