Fog Lamps

Q & A with the Holden Parts guru himself, Paul Sadler. Archive for old topics only, business is now closed.
Forum rules
This business venture is currently on hiatus. No new orders for parts are able to be placed at this time, nor is this site being monitored by the vendor. Forum is locked, discussion topics are left active for reference purposes. Unfortunately we have no idea at this time when the business will again be accepting orders.
GTObert

Fog Lamps

Post by GTObert »

So I've been looking all over the forum thinking there should be a thread on fog lamps, and I can't seem to find one anywhere! Am I just missing it? I tried searching but apparently "fog lamps" is not a good enough search term. I know several cars have the lamps on them, so what do they cost and how do you wire them? Is there a new switch that replaces the current headlamp switch? Are there wires in the harness already meant for these lamps?
2011 9C1
2005 GTO
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Fog Lamps

Post by Navy Lifer »

Topic section - electrical

I did a search using "fog lamp" and got 68 topic hits (noting that the search "ignored" the term fog), you'll find it there.

Try this: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=19" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's another that may shed a little more light....viewtopic.php?f=21&t=64" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are switches that can be used in place of the OE Caprice switch. The issue is that in so doing, to make everything work as a factory installed setup, a BCM (body control module) reprogarm is also required. I don't know if Chris White (GTP Prix on the board) has done this, or what it may cost. The alternative is to design a circuit that could emulate what the BCM does, using a relay, as some have done, or at least tried--not clear if it worked 100%.

In my own situation, a manual switch was installed--I can have high-beams and fogs on at the same time. Not ideal, and possibly not legal in some jurisdictions.

PPV does not have any of the wiring for this configuration.
9C1fanatic

Re: Fog Lamps

Post by 9C1fanatic »

Figure on about $150 for the bezels, mounting hardware and wiring harness for the lamps. (Australia)
Figure on another $150 for the actual lamps (US any GM dealership)
I wired mine like Bill on their own switch through an ignition controlled relay so that they only will work with the key on and so that the amperage is not going through my switch and wiring. (I used one wire in the factory installed grill/siren speaker harness (4 wire harness) so that I did not have to run any wires to the engine compartment.
Garner Ames

1975 Pontiac Grand Am L77 - 14.82 @ 92.89
1991 Chevrolet C1500 L31 Vortec/5 Speed
2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LM7
2014 Chevrolet Caprice 9C1 L77 - 13.60 @ 105.87
2019 Chevrolet Express 3500 L96