New Caprice - Discussion forums

The worldwide owner-to-owner online support system for the Chevrolet Caprice PPV
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:44 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

This business venture is currently on hiatus. No new orders for parts are able to be placed at this time, nor is this site being monitored by the vendor. Forum is locked, discussion topics are left active for reference purposes. Unfortunately we have no idea at this time when the business will again be accepting orders.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Repeaters
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:34 pm 

Thanks Steve! I was going to cut the cable CP supplied with the repeater ~ is there a harness connector that the other end of the cable plugs into?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:24 pm 

No not a connector I have found yet. Just going to have to splice into the wires with a butt connector and shrink tube to keep it small in the harness. There is a ground bolt at each kick panel you can use though.

For the drivers side you will have to send the power wire over to the passenger side of the car since both wires are on that side. You can send it through the "Dash Tube" to get over there.

Here is the pinout for connector for 201. X201 is one of the connectors that comes out of the knook behind the passenger kick panel.

We want the wires in spots 41 and 42 a yellow and green wire

And just for guidance on the kind of connectors to use to splice into the wire. The best technique I have found is to use a bare butt connector along with adhesive lined shrink tubing. Cut the factory wire, strip backs the three wires you will now join. Install a 2 inch length of shrink tubing down the wire. Install 2 wires on one end of the butt and crimp, crimp the other wire in to the other end of the butt. move the shrink tube over the butt connector. Heat till adhesive oozes out each end. Nestle the connection back in the main harness and tape around the area. That is a connection that will be trouble free.

Bare butt connector:
Will want one that can fit the factory wire (looks like it is about 18AWG) plus what ever wire you are using for your repeater. Since it is an LED you barely need anything big. Maybe 20AWG at the most.

Adhesive lined Shrink tubing. Just get some that is a little bigger than the butt connector.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:16 am 

Tackled this last night, came out well.

Left side wire total length will be 10 feet
Right side wire total length is 3 feet.
Need two non insulated butt connectors
Need two 2 inch lengths of adhesive lined shrink tubing.
One ring terminal type connector for the ground bolt.
Pictured is 2 conductor stranded 18AWG wire in a sheath. If I did it again I would probably go with 22 AWG. LED's not pulling that much juice.
If you want to make your own connectors here are the part numbers
Connector Body - Tyco 1-967644-1
Terminals - Tyco 965906-1
Wire Seals - Tyco 0-967067-1
Check Availability at Nexus Electronics - $50 Minumum
Mouser also stocks Tyco Items.

As always I bought extra so if you need some made up let me know.

Getting the harnesses out of the kick panel cubby is pretty straight forward. You can see all the clips that hold everything in. Just unplug everything and get it out of your way as you go. I would recommend to remove the glove compartment as that gives you more head room.

I will detail how to get the X201 connector out of the dual connector holder. YOU really do not need to remove it but doing so makes it much easier to do the splices. You could avoid doing it also if you make your connections farther down the wiring harness. If you do do it farther down the harness just confirm with a test light that you got the right wires. I like doing things in close proximity to the connector just so i know I got the right wires.

SO here is a pic of me getting the connector our of the 2 connector holder. Need to wedge open 3 clips simultaneously and push the connector back through it's opening. Here I got 2 small crewdrivers and a pick holding the clips open.

Once you got it out remove the tape from the harness down to where it meets the main harness.
Get out your yellow and dark green wires from the pack:

You can also see in the above picture I have the two gray wires tie wrapped to the harness. This estimates the maximum length of wire I need to reach the splices and the ground bolt. Also pictured (2 photos above) feed the right side gray wire from the repeater through the plastic cubby housing as that is the path it is going to take once you put things back together.

Cut them in a way that they are staggered on the harness so you do not have a bulge of two splices when you put it back together.
Make your cuts in the Yellow and Green wires then double check to make sure which red wires are right and left and cut them to a similar length of the corresponding yellow or green wires. Be sure and leave some slack for the wires to get wrapped in the harness once you tape it back up.

Slide on your shrink tubing where you can. If you do not have any room on the connector side single wire put it over the dual wires on the other side.

Strip your wires and crimp on your Butt connectors

Once connected slide your shrink tubing over the butt connector, center it over the connection and heat to shrink them.

Then tape up your harness again back to the main harness

Then re insert everything back in the cubby and the last connection you will make (have not done it yet in this picture) is the two ground wires into a single ring terminal connector and bolt it to the ground bolt.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3