Complete Vehicle VIN change

Need custom module programming for your Caprice PPV? Chris White is here to answer your questions.
Forum rules
Please note & respect that Chris has full-time employment. General questions can be posted here, but for specific individual needs please contact him via his website. SPECIAL NOTE - We have no role or liability in any transactions other then to provide a venue to advertise the items. Disputes must be resolved independently between the parties involved in any transaction.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Complete Vehicle VIN change

Post by smwalker »

Hi Chris,

Have a project going would like to get your input on.

I acquired a 2014 PPV Ex police car with about 140K miles on it.
I then Acquired a Wrecked 2015 SS Manual with 9k miles on it.

Plan is to transfer over the complete interior (and all power options) and the engine and trans to the PPV.

I started thinking well the PCM would have to come over since it is a 6.2 and a manual so easier to transfer over the SS PCM and just reprogram the VIN. Would have to do the same for the BCM since there is all those cool features of the SS I want to keep. Then I am sure there are other modules that would need to come over to retain features. Seat position memory modules, collision avoidance modules, parking assist etc.

My question is it possible for me to reprogram the PPV's VIN into all these modules so when I go to get an inspection the VIN that comes up is the PPV's and not the SS's?

Do you have a list of modules that store the VIN in the SS / PPV? In other words how many you think I would need to do.

I have an Autel Scanner at work that is supposedly capable of doing this. But wondering if I am missing a bigger picture.

Thanks for any input.

If anyone else has gone through scenario this please chime in.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
s/c'd cav

Re: Complete Vehicle VIN change

Post by s/c'd cav »

best to talk to chris about changing VINs in the modules , also might want to talk to a smog referee that is familiar with swaps , but be vague on the models , since cali can be very hard on engine swaps into newer cars

some wiring issues i see is from the length difference between the WN and VF

ive been considering doing some of it , i want to get rid of the dash shifter and put in the starter button like the SS

also there is the ODO fraud going from a car with 140k to electronics with 9k , maybe another thing chris could fix ?
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Also might want to talk to a smog referee that is familiar with swaps , but be vague on the models , since cali can be very hard on engine swaps into newer cars

Since the 6.2 was never offered in the USA Caprice increasing the displacement would classify it as an engine "Change" as opposed to an engine "replacement" so a trip to the Referee for a new underhood label is in the cards. I think it would qualify under all the criteria mentioned on their page. All emissions equipment will be there and it would meet one year newer standards.

CA BAR Engine Change Guidelines

ANd really since the smogging would be off the Referees label going forward the VIN the car presents the computer not that important now that I think of it. I think when you get a referees label it ignores the VIN on the vehicle. Was just thinking if I could get the VIN's to match the PPV VIN then I could just present the 6.2 as a 6.0 and just tell them I switched to a Manual. UNless a tech researched the engine number the 6.2 and 6.0 look identical for the most part. Correct???

some wiring issues i see is from the length difference between the WN and VF

Yes very good point. THink I would keep the WN power cable going to the front but you are right the entire rear harness might need some length. I also want to get the MAG ride working on the PPV so would need longer wires for the rear positions.

i want to get rid of the dash shifter and put in the starter button like the SS

Going to a manual i figured that actually might be easier than trying to convert from a Dash shifter to a floor shifter. Stick seems easy in that regard. Just some firewall work for the clutch pedal. Still need to look at that closer.

also there is the ODO fraud going from a car with 140k to electronics with 9k , maybe another thing chris could fix ?

It's not fraud till you go to sell it and state that is the actual mileage. As long as you state it is not the actual mileage you are fine, scares the hell out of buyers but lets face it anyone that will buy it will read about it's history on this board. Only thing I use the ODO for is maintenance so I would want it to match the engine miles anyway.

Thanks for the feedback, should be a lot of learning going on with this one! LOL
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

yeah the motor they wont really know , i know older pcms you could swap the vin # , the newer ones not sure if they trip a flag or not

i think id find a tuner and have them just retune the car on the ppv pcm

id rather keep the odo at the 140k , less chance of issues , and i like my auto , more so since ive got a SS with a manual