Requested upgrades to feature sets for the Caprice

Need custom module programming for your Caprice PPV? Chris White is here to answer your questions.
Forum rules
Please note & respect that Chris has full-time employment. General questions can be posted here, but for specific individual needs please contact him via his website. SPECIAL NOTE - We have no role or liability in any transactions other then to provide a venue to advertise the items. Disputes must be resolved independently between the parties involved in any transaction.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Requested upgrades to feature sets for the Caprice

Post by Navy Lifer »

GTPprix wrote:
elc32955 wrote:Chris,

Just to kick this thread off, there's a number of requests people have had for modifications to the Caprice electronics that will probably take a BCM reflash or other programming. Starting list is here... (not necessarily in order);

1) Enabling remote start (assuming all hardware is in place).
2) Undoing the 7Y6 dome lights modification (no dome lights when doors open).
3) Enabling theft alarm for vehicles provided without it.
4) Flashing 2011 clusters to the 2012 software to gain things like the total hour and idle hour counter.
5) Modifying the TPMS alarm settings for running lower tire pressures.
6) Reflashing clusters to gain settings left out on some programming versions (8/4 cylinder indication screen for instance).
1. Consider this one done.
2. Also Done :)
3. I think this should be no problem as well.
4. Shouldn't be a problem as well, we do LOTS of work on AAPL/VDO clusters.
5. It would be a different module but this shouldn't be a problem either. There is some liability here so we'll have to figure this out.
6. Not a problem at all.
I just wanted to point out that Item 5. has a local-level solution, as posted here:

http://newcaprice.com/forum/posting.php ... 567edd729d

(Click ^^^link^^^ to read full post)
Navy Lifer wrote:OK, as posted in my last report (above), the TPMS alarm threshold setting CAN be adjusted via the RCDLR. Went to the local dealer and got with their tech, and re-set the system (with Tech2 tool) to not alarm until 30 PSI. With 35-36 PSI "cold" settings I'm using, this should keep the system out of alarm territory unless tire(s) really ARE low. It also doesn't mean I won't monitor pressures and just wait for an alarm, as no one should. No more nuisance alarms!!!
K9Vic

Post by K9Vic »

Chris, can you use a BCM from another make of GM car that lists as compatible BCM, like Impala, G8?
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Good deal Bill! Thanks as always for your good research and info. I have to get an oil change here within the next week or two, so I'll have that done at the dealer and at the same time have the TPMS modified and reset.
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
arizona

Post by arizona »

elc32955 wrote:Good deal Bill! Thanks as always for your good research and info. I have to get an oil change here within the next week or two, so I'll have that done at the dealer and at the same time have the TPMS modified and reset.
Crap, wish I had the dealer do this when I had them activate my interior lights, auto lamps and remote start.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

K9Vic wrote:Chris, can you use a BCM from another make of GM car that lists as compatible BCM, like Impala, G8?
It's my understanding that the BCM is "locked" to a VIN once it is initially programmed, as the VIN is uploaded as part of the process. In other words, finding a used BCM won't be of any help. Chris may know differently or know of a way around this.
arizona wrote:Crap, wish I had the dealer do this when I had them activate my interior lights, auto lamps and remote start.
Wait....you were able to get a dealer to do these things without a BCM modification, or were they able to modify your BCM--specifically remote start?
GTPprix

Post by GTPprix »

Navy Lifer wrote:
K9Vic wrote:Chris, can you use a BCM from another make of GM car that lists as compatible BCM, like Impala, G8?
It's my understanding that the BCM is "locked" to a VIN once it is initially programmed, as the VIN is uploaded as part of the process. In other words, finding a used BCM won't be of any help. Chris may know differently or know of a way around this.

This is no issue on these BCM's actually believe it or not.
arizona wrote:Crap, wish I had the dealer do this when I had them activate my interior lights, auto lamps and remote start.
Wait....you were able to get a dealer to do these things without a BCM modification, or were they able to modify your BCM--specifically remote start?
He has a 9C3 so it already had it. My guess is it was just disabled in the cluster and when they reprogrammed it for the interior and auto lamps it just reset that flag to on :)
Chris White
http://www.whiteautoandmedia.com
2022 3LT Red Mist Coupe
2023 70th Anniversary Z06 HTC
2023 Escalade V
2023 Yukon Denali Ultimate LM2
2022 Camaro ZL1 M6
arizona

Post by arizona »

GTPprix wrote:
Navy Lifer wrote:

This is no issue on these BCM's actually believe it or not.
He has a 9C3 so it already had it. My guess is it was just disabled in the cluster and when they reprogrammed it for the interior and auto lamps it just reset that flag to on :)
They had to call the tech line for approval for the inop dome lights and auto lamps. I requested them to turn on the auto start but I am waiting the hood latch to test it. They promised me they did activate the code. The tech line did want to charge me $50 for each item they turned back on but the dealer convinced them other wise. This all started because the horn did not work and I got lucky on the rest. This is when they also locked my radio up, lol.
GTPprix

Post by GTPprix »

arizona wrote:
They had to call the tech line for approval for the inop dome lights and auto lamps. I requested them to turn on the auto start but I am waiting the hood latch to test it. They promised me they did activate the code. The tech line did want to charge me $50 for each item they turned back on but the dealer convinced them other wise. This all started because the horn did not work and I got lucky on the rest. This is when they also locked my radio up, lol.
Yeah the radio lockup is what leads to me to believe they were snowing you LOL Techline normally cannot EVER do anything like that and its a HUGE liability IE the car wasn't built with the hardware for it. Does the car say "Hood Open" when you start it right now?
Chris White
2022 3LT Red Mist Coupe
2023 Escalade V
2022 Camaro ZL1 M6
K9Vic

Post by K9Vic »

Chris, can you confirm if a used BCM will work or not work?
GTPprix

Post by GTPprix »

K9Vic wrote:Chris, can you confirm if a used BCM will work or not work?
Yeah for some reason it didn't break my reply to that quote out, I can redo those to be usable assuming they are 100% operational to begin with :) You got lucky they aren't like other GM platforms!
Last edited by GTPprix on Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris White
2022 3LT Red Mist Coupe
2023 Escalade V
2022 Camaro ZL1 M6