RPO Sticker location and mystery lever

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
yargnits

RPO Sticker location and mystery lever

Post by yargnits »

Here's a couple questions: Where's the RPO sticker? I've looked in all the usual locations but have not found it.

Another thing: What's the yellow pull lever in the truck behind the rear seat? It's at the would-be trap door. I pulled it but it didn't appear to do anything. Now just as I'm typing this I'm wondering if it's a manual truck release. It just didn't do anything because the trunk was already open.
Dave B - Yargnits
--
2011 Caprice 9C3
2018 Silverado LT
2005 John Deere (garden tractor)
9C1fanatic

Re: RPO Sticker location and mystery lever

Post by 9C1fanatic »

The RPO sticker is located on the inside of the trunk lid if it wasn't painted over.

The handle is the emergency trunk release required by federal law in case someone get trapped inside the trunk for some reason.
Garner Ames

1975 Pontiac Grand Am L77 - 14.82 @ 92.89
1991 Chevrolet C1500 L31 Vortec/5 Speed
2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LM7
2014 Chevrolet Caprice 9C1 L77 - 13.60 @ 105.87
2019 Chevrolet Express 3500 L96
ejf2461

Post by ejf2461 »

9C1fanatic wrote:The RPO sticker is located on the inside of the trunk lid if it wasn't painted over.

The handle is the emergency trunk release required by federal law in case someone get trapped inside the trunk for some reason.
Federal Mandate was because so many Cops in Indianapolis throwing dirtbags in the truck to give them an attitude adjustment and then forgetting they were still there! LOL
2013 Impala 9C1
2013 Caprice PPV 9C1 V8
yargnits

Post by yargnits »

9C1fanatic wrote:The RPO sticker is located on the inside of the trunk lid if it wasn't painted over.
No sticker there. No evidence of it ever being there and I'm pretty sure the decklid wasn't replaced. Could it be under the trunk liner somewhere? I checked in the spare time compartment.

Also, this cover is missing. Do 9C1s have these that I might find one at a salvage yard?
Attachments
IMG_9884.JPG
IMG_9884.JPG (35.12 KiB) Viewed 15641 times
Dave B - Yargnits
--
2011 Caprice 9C3
2018 Silverado LT
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

just gotta get this out of the way---your screen name in a mirror is stingray, not that no one else has noticed!

Service Parts Identification Label (aka "SPID") is located on the bottom of the spare tire cover/load floor panel, at least for 2011.

Battery service access cover is 92172668 (2011-2013)

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/chevrolet/ ... cess-cover" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
9C1fanatic

Post by 9C1fanatic »

That's cool I wonder when they made the change. Of course it would be a lot easier to get that mixed up on an item like the spare tire cover but I like it there much better than the inside of the trunk lid. Of course it would be a lot easier to get that mixed up on an item like the spare tire cover but I like it there are much better than the inside of the trunk lid. 14s and 15's have them on the bottom of the trunk lid for sure which is problematic with my OCD when one of them gets in a collision in needs replacement body parts
Garner Ames

1975 Pontiac Grand Am L77 - 14.82 @ 92.89
1991 Chevrolet C1500 L31 Vortec/5 Speed
2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LM7
2014 Chevrolet Caprice 9C1 L77 - 13.60 @ 105.87
2019 Chevrolet Express 3500 L96
yargnits

Post by yargnits »

Navy Lifer wrote:just gotta get this out of the way---your screen name in a mirror is stingray, not that no one else has noticed!

Service Parts Identification Label (aka "SPID") is located on the bottom of the spare tire cover/load floor panel.

Battery service access cover is 92172668 (2011-2013)

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/chevrolet/ ... cess-cover" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes, it's Stingray backwards. Why do you mention that? LOL I use it in quite a few places. Stingray was my nickname as a kid and since it's almost always taken I just reversed it.

Thanks for the part number on the battery cover. It's a bit pricey. I might see what salvage yards have around first.

I did give a brief look on the underside of the cover but I guess I didn't look good enough. I had stuff in the truck and didn't pull it up too far.

Thanks!

UPDATE: It took 3 looks to see the sticker on the underside of the cover. It's a weird dark color when viewed from an angle. A part sticker farther up looks white. I took a pic with flash and it looks white.
Dave B - Yargnits
--
2011 Caprice 9C3
2018 Silverado LT
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Here's a past thread about the SPIL and RPO's in general. The VIN is always going to be the guide--as far as switching spare tire covers between vehicles, therefore SPIL's, it's simple enough to validate the SPIL against the VIN of the vehicle--at the base of the windshield.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=48" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With the VIN, you can get a printout from any dealer that provides a full "dossier" on your PPV (or other GM vehicle, for that matter):
http://www.ssforums.com/forum/warranty- ... ur-ss.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bsparks72

Post by bsparks72 »

9C1fanatic wrote:That's cool I wonder when they made the change. Of course it would be a lot easier to get that mixed up on an item like the spare tire cover but I like it there much better than the inside of the trunk lid. Of course it would be a lot easier to get that mixed up on an item like the spare tire cover but I like it there are much better than the inside of the trunk lid. 14s and 15's have them on the bottom of the trunk lid for sure which is problematic with my OCD when one of them gets in a collision in needs replacement body parts
Garner,

Sent you a PM. Thanks!
-Brandon
2012 9C1 L77 - 228/234, .604/.609 112 cam, JBA shorty headers, Solo high-flow cats, X-pipe, Cherry Bomb single-chamber mufflers (Frankenstein exhaust), Roto-Fab CAI, CTS-V torque converter, 3.45 Camaro diff, G8 red/black seats/steering wheel