price thoughts for a silver 2011 caprice

Post your new and used Caprice PPV's for sale here. Please note the guidelines for this moderated forum prior to posting.
Forum rules
Listings acceptable to post in this section are Caprice PPV's for sale by individuals, government entities (I.E. direct sale/auction/sealed bids), and the occasional car for sale on dealer lots (trade-in's for example) that do not normally sell Caprices. EBAY/Craigslist/auction site ads are OK for the above as well. Please do not post third party ads for cars on behalf of dealers that routinely sell used PPV's as part of their primary business. Listings by members with under five forum posts may be removed without notice, please check with a moderator if you have questions. SPECIAL NOTE - We have no role or liability in any transactions other then to provide a venue to advertise the items. Disputes must be resolved independently between the parties involved in any transaction.
inno17

price thoughts for a silver 2011 caprice

Post by inno17 »

bought this car a few weeks ago to beat around with til I found a truck I wanted, I knew there were a few minor things to be fixed like a bushing and control arm, but after about 100 miles it seems I've ran into a more serious engine issue. getting a flashing CEL for o2 sensor and misfire on #4 cyl, after replacing the sensor and going through the coil/wire etc. Still getting a rough noise from the engine. Has 170k-ish miles and the body is in pretty good shape outside some scratches on the doors. I'm curious to what my best route is, either sell it how it is or to part it out to try and get some money back.

Thanks for your opinions
Attachments
caprice.jpg
caprice.jpg (103.78 KiB) Viewed 8991 times
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: price thoughts for a silver 2011 caprice

Post by smwalker »

To me if a car is not wrecked/salvaged it should not be parted out. Sell it to someone who can drop a new engine and trans in it and have a good time with it. Lets face it the sheet metal of the car is about the only thing you could get parts money for. Everything else on the car we try to steal from other makes and models so factory PPV parts ain't the pot o' gold you might think.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
inno17

Post by inno17 »

smwalker wrote:To me if a car is not wrecked/salvaged it should not be parted out. Sell it to someone who can drop a new engine and trans in it and have a good time with it. Lets face it the sheet metal of the car is about the only thing you could get parts money for. Everything else on the car we try to steal from other makes and models so factory PPV parts ain't the pot o' gold you might think.

I don't consider it a pot of gold, I'm just asking what its worth. If its only worth 1500-2k as a roller/junk motor it may be worth it to part it. when I bought it I intended to be able to drive it for more than a week. Just trying to limit my losses is all.
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

inno17 wrote: I don't consider it a pot of gold, I'm just asking what its worth. If its only worth 1500-2k as a roller/junk motor it may be worth it to part it. when I bought it I intended to be able to drive it for more than a week. Just trying to limit my losses is all.
Myself personally, and I think others will agree, I'd be determined to find the cause of your misfire/any other engine issues. I have no idea how savvy you are, or how much spare time you have but that's what I would do. Plus if you're still set on selling it would be worth that much more if you stick a little into it and it's problems are resolved. You are going to make your own choice and whether you decide to fix or not is up to you. I don't think it's worth your time either as a parts car, and I think that even with the mileage and the fact its a 2011, it is worth more than 2k. If the transmission is fine, I would get the engine up and running, but that's just me. I am always one to see what I can do to fix the problem rather than give up (not saying you are/have).

I bought my car with 100k, and actually it misfired as I test drove it. It was also throwing an O2 sensor code as well. The cause? Not only was it below a quarter tank, but the car had probably been sitting for how long with the same gas. 60 or 90 days until the department brings it to auction etc. They put in a full tank of 87-no ethanol and since then I only use 91-no ethanol, and I haven't had any issues with PO300 or the O2 sensor code and its been a month. Granted I put in MSD plugs as well, but that's it.
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Well, personally I'd tell you to diagnose it or at least get someone competent to look at the motor. If you DO decide to sell it, post it up for forum members to have a chance at it before you pedal it locally. Miles are a bit up there, but if the price is reasonable you might find a quick sale on it. If that's the route you decide to go.

Either way you decide to proceed, good luck!
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.