New Caprice - Discussion forums

The worldwide owner-to-owner online support system for the Chevrolet Caprice PPV
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:38 am 

It looks like my evaporator is leaking and will need to be replaced :( which, means the dash is going to have to come out. Anyone have any shots from the manual or experience pulling the dash?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:02 am 

Renegade6,

PM'd

2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:25 am 

I have done 2 so far on 14+ and just to conceptualize it the black part of the dash you see is all a cover. There is a frame underneath it that holds everything. It is really just a matter of unscrew every screw you can see and unhook anything attached to the black cover. once the cover is out the frame is easier because you can then see everything.

Harness wise there is a large connector for the dash harness in each side footwell. Unhook those and the two plugs going to the HVAC module and the harness can stay in place on the frame.

Splitting the AC case and putting back together will be the trick I tried it tonight and there area about 5 rods that run from side to side and go into slots on each end. Trying to line those up all at once seems pretty impossible. They have some little holes on the ends I am thinking put some different length of coat hanger in there to line up each rod as you lower the case.

ANd before you buy a evaporator (or make sure you can return it) there is a joint that could be leaking and maybe some new o-rings might solve it. Just give the evaporator a good inspection to see if you can locate the leak in the actual evaporator. The joint is on the part called the inlet tube (#4 in pic below) . I assume you have already tried new o-rings on the expansion valve but that is another place for o-ring failure.

Here is a 14 evaporator with about 140K miles on it. Even with the cabin filter in place still get some debris build up in there.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:52 pm 

When you replace the evaporator there is some rubber tape that covers the lines from the case to the expansion valve. If you cannot reuse yours (try to get it all off in one piece) the rubber is commonly called Prestite Tape but the foam coating on it that comes from the factory I have not been able to find. But just the rubber tape should be good enough the protect it and direct any condensation into the case.

Actually found something called Foam Insulating tape and it says it is made with a mastic. that could be closer to factory stuff. Never used it though.

Parker Virginia Foam Insulation Tape / Mastic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:12 am 

Really, a Polish company?

1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2010 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1996 BBB Impala SS (11-second DD)
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?