Cooling fan wobble?

Discussion on Air Conditioning/Heat & electronic controls for the same, radiators/fans/engine cooling and related items.
CrashTestDummy

Cooling fan wobble?

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Driving home this afternoon, and I'm sitting at a light, at idle, with the A/C on, and hear a sound that sounds like the engine went into AFM mode with the intake open, or like someone slowing down beside me with a diesel exhaust brake. I could hear the noise for about 15-20 seconds, then went away. The sound did not follow engine RPM. Everything else on the car seemed fine.

When I got home, I had a look, and everything seems to be in place. I spun both cooling fans, and they spin okay, but the passenger side fan has about 1/2" of wobble. Time to replace? Whole assembly? Fan only? What?

Thanks.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Cooling fan wobble?

Post by smwalker »

Thought there was an extended warranty on cooling fans yes? Not seeing it in the recall section.

EDIT: Here it is: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=917&hilit=cooling+fan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
bsparks72

Post by bsparks72 »

That's exactly what happened to mine. Thought it was a cracked blade, like happens to the G8s quite a bit. Turned out it was the motor shaft wobbling. I replaced it on my dime, but I was already past the mileage limit on the recall.
-Brandon
2012 9C1 L77 - 228/234, .604/.609 112 cam, JBA shorty headers, Solo high-flow cats, X-pipe, Cherry Bomb single-chamber mufflers (Frankenstein exhaust), Roto-Fab CAI, CTS-V torque converter, 3.45 Camaro diff, G8 red/black seats/steering wheel
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

I forgot all about that! I have my letter in the glove box of the car. I'll have to schedule an appt with GM.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Arcticolds442

Post by Arcticolds442 »

A fan motor went out on me a month ago with my 2012 when I was on a road trip. As a temporary fix, I switched the wires going to the fans at the fan harness connector so the other (good) fan would turn on first, since its mainly just the one fan that cycles so often. I didn't know about the recall either, so I pulled the works apart and replaced the motor with one out of the wrecked '13 PPV that happens to be sititng in my yard :)

If I lose another one, I know to take it in to the dealer. Thanks for that link!

I also redid the fan curve in HPTuners so that the fans come on a little closer together in temp and stay on a little longer as well, just so I dont have to listen to the nuisance cycling.
2012 9C1 DD - stock for now
'72 Olds 4-4-2
'65 AMC Rambler - LQ4/T56 work in progress
"No Bucks Given" '84 VetteKart
'65 Cutlass
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Except for the noise from this wobbly fan when it comes on, I don't hear the fans unless I'm outside the car.

I have a date with the dealer Monday morning. Funny, when I called to schedule the appointment, the Service Writer was the same guy who waited on me for the fuel pump thing. I'm guessing they don't get too many late-model Caprices in, as he knew me and the car when I said '2012 Caprice'. His comment: "I hope we don't have as much trouble with the fan as we did at the other end of the car." To which I replied: "Under the hood, the car is surprisingly clean for it's age and mileage. No rust here!" :-)
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Picked the car up today. All work was done under warranty. Funny, when the porter came out to get the car, he asked 'what kind of car is it?'. I told him that it was a Caprice. He said "funny, the guy who took it in wrote ' cop nice' on the label.". We laughed, and I told him that it was a cop car , that was apparently all he needed. :mrgreen:
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Glad the warranty came through for you. A good reminder to all 2011 folks the 6 years is about up on this one, get out there and check them fans.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Indeed. I _thought_ I checked my fans when the notice came in and found no problem at the time, but am not 100% sure on that.

So, if you haven't at least checked, then do so now!
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?