AC makes "whining" noise at low speeds

Discussion on Air Conditioning/Heat & electronic controls for the same, radiators/fans/engine cooling and related items.
dorqus

AC makes "whining" noise at low speeds

Post by dorqus »

Hello! So I have a 2011 PPV with almost 76,000 miles on it. It's black on black, so the car gets SUPER hot on really warm days, like we had in NY today!

I noticed (some time ago actually) that when the AC is on and I'm going slowly, i.e. stuck in traffic [when you need the AC most!] the AC makes a "whining" noise, especially when letting off of the gas. When I'm moving normally or on the highway I don't hear it at all. I was going to replace just the AC belt, but before I do, is there something else I should replace? is it maybe the tensioner or the idler arm? If I shut the AC off, the noise stops instantly, so I know it's gotta be the AC.

Thanks so much!
s/c'd cav

Re: AC makes "whining" noise at low speeds

Post by s/c'd cav »

unfortunetly that is to vauge of a diecription , you have to look at , compressor , idler , tensioner , belt
dorqus

Post by dorqus »

Yeah OK thanks... was hoping it would an obvious answer :) LOL I'll start with the belt and see what I find once I'm working on the car. Supposed to go on a family trip with it next week so trying to get it all buttoned up before hand! (or hope for cooler weather)
dorqus

Post by dorqus »

Is this the proper part number for the AC Idler pulley? Figured I'll replace it while I do the belt:
GM 92244380
And where can I buy it quickly? Can't seem to find it on Amazon.
I do have AutoZone near me, as well as NAPA.
Saw a posting about NAPA part number 36322
Might go that route if the GM/AC Delco one is not readily available. Thanks so much!!
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

yes that is the idler pulley number , 12595289 this is the ac tensioner #

ive never tried to ge after market parts , so not sure where to find them
dorqus

Post by dorqus »

OK thanks for confirming!
dorqus

Post by dorqus »

OK so problem solved! Took the AC belt off, the idler pulley was making noise. Already had a NAPA NBH 36322 pulley on hand to replace it with. Put the car back together, no more noise. I replaced the belt as well while I was there as I had already ordered a replacement and figured why not...
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

good news , and the site will thank you for posting the update