LOUD AC noise and no cold air

Discussion on Air Conditioning/Heat & electronic controls for the same, radiators/fans/engine cooling and related items.
lsxJERRY

LOUD AC noise and no cold air

Post by lsxJERRY »

It's been some time after my first initial mods and 18,000 miles after purchase but I have my first issue with my Caprice, the AC is acting up making a weird noise and no longer blowing cold air. Problem is this happened right after the DOD delete/ cam install where they did recharge the AC and fix a leaking line and fitting. Getting it checked out by the shop Wednesday that did the work, said they will do a free recharge and check it out. Below are 2 videos I sent the shop (you'll hear me address his name in one video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flKyE6_LBC0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs9bG5UFeP8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here are pictures of parts replaced:

By looking at the date on the line looks as if it was replaced before possibly by the police department when it was a patrol car. They're plastic so I highly suspect they tend not to last long.

Let me know what you guys think, I'm not too sure on what's my issue.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: LOUD AC noise and no cold air

Post by smwalker »

Sounds like a clogged expansion valve to me. With as many miles as you have that makes sense. Your compressor insides break down and the expansion valve catches all that debris. You could try just an expansion valve replacement but I have a feeling your compressor may be on the way out. How was it cooling before this issue? Maybe time for a complete overhaul.

And I think that hose assembly does not have anything to do with the AC. It's either for the Trans cooler or PS cooler. Those fittings would not hold a/c pressure.

And do not try to blame an expansion valve on the shop, they had nothing to do with that with a dod delete.

Good Luck let us know what they find.

What are you at 170K miles now?
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Thnking maybe the fleet dept replaced a trans line with the Plasticool product. May want to ask them if they remember where they pulled that off and if they replaced it with a GM part or another aftermarket item. I would get it back to a factory part if I were you.

PlastiCool. PlastiCool is a low cost, low weight, high temperature alternative to metal and rubber hose currently used in transmission cooling that offers a more robust joint design, improving quality and potentially reducing warranty costs. Additionally, because the material is smaller than current alternatives, it allows for greater design flexibility.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
lsxJERRY

Post by lsxJERRY »

I'm trying my best not to place blame on the shop. I don't like doing it especially since the car is high mileage. I'm at 165k miles and going up very quickly in the last few weeks, lot of driving. My AC was always working fine before I had the DOD done, it started acting up right after. I don't know if there's some kind of connection.

From what I know, if the AC Compressor goes bad they can sometimes throw metal shavings out and it gets caught up in the condenser. If it's the Compressor I might as well just overhaul the system. I plan on putting as much mileage on my car as possible and just see what happens.

I am not really sure where they pulled that line from, was told they replaced a line and that was in my trunk along with the fitting pictured. I guess we'll see Wednesday.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Was thinking about this this weekend. The compressors are so low on these cars I do not see a reason for them to remove any of the components for top end work like the DOD delete. Unless they just wanted to get that big line that goes to the firewall out of thier way while they were working they may have evacuated the system, disconnected the line and depending on if they plugged it to keep moisture out something may have gotten in there if they left the line or expansion valve exposed.

Sounds like they are working with you though, so that's good.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
lsxJERRY

Post by lsxJERRY »

smwalker wrote:Was thinking about this this weekend. The compressors are so low on these cars I do not see a reason for them to remove any of the components for top end work like the DOD delete. Unless they just wanted to get that big line that goes to the firewall out of thier way while they were working they may have evacuated the system, disconnected the line and depending on if they plugged it to keep moisture out something may have gotten in there if they left the line or expansion valve exposed.

Sounds like they are working with you though, so that's good.
They are working with me and i'm working with them.

As for pics, this is all they took off to do the DOD delete.

I'm very curious as to what is the issue, I've never experienced something like this before, and I've owned lots of junk cars.
lsxJERRY

Post by lsxJERRY »

Speed Inc came through and fixed the car, just needed a recharge, all noise is gone. Must have been running dry, so if it happens again i'll just add more refrigerant with leak dye to see where it leaks. I'm guessing it'll last 2 months again.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Add some oil the next recharge, if necessary. I don't have a lot of experience with the post-2000 model cars yet, but the pre-2000 GM vehicles seemed actually a bit low in the full oil capacity. It seems so bad that any work on the A/C system, replace anything, even just a recharge, and you'd need to add the required amount of oil for that part, or your next job, in short order, would be replacing the blown compressor.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?