Odd Temp delay

Discussion on Air Conditioning/Heat & electronic controls for the same, radiators/fans/engine cooling and related items.
BIG_GREEK

Odd Temp delay

Post by BIG_GREEK »

Hey guys, the other day I noticed something weird after the most recent dealer visit.

When the HVAC is set to a certain temp, lets say 75*F, it would be luke warm and everything will be okay. As I start driving down the highway, my face and feet are on fire. After my skin has boiled onto the nice rubber floor, I turn the temp down to 65-70. Becomes luke warm again and comfortable. And about 5-10 min later, the car is colder than a Siberian prison. I understand an automatic HVAC system and the system is compensating, but every system ive worked on/dealt with, the "compensation" is almost not noticed. Also, as a note, the fan was set to the 1 or 0 setting.

Now im almost certain that the airbag module has nothing to do with the HVAC system, and the other work performed (steering wheel trim replace and seat belt tensioner recall) has nothing to with it either, but I noticed this after the work was performed.

Anyone have input on this?

BTW this is a 2014 with just over 5k.
"God created Police Officers so Fireman could have heroes!" - My late Father

2014 Phatom Black 9C1 (Toy)
2000 VW Jetta TDI (Daily 420k miles)
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Odd Temp delay

Post by smwalker »

Well there is an air tube that feeds the temp sensor right behind the lower dash panel on the drivers side. If they knocked that off from it's vent it could be sucking air from who knows where instead of the interior like it's supposed to. I would imagine maybe that panel may have come out during the steering wheel trim replacement, but maybe not. Could be the fan that sucks in the air could have failed.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
9C1fanatic

Post by 9C1fanatic »

Question, is the air conditioner compressor switched on (snow flake button) and or is the auto switch turned on. From what I read in the owners manual the temp display on the temp dials are meaningless unless the system is set to auto mode. For example, if it is set to 75 degrees it wont maintain that unless its in auto mode. Otherwise its just a temp adjustment with numbers instead of the traditional blue/red lines. Without the A/c on the temps can be affected somewhat depending on coolant temp, outside air temp and even how fast you are driving. More engine heat usually gets sucked into the outside air grill when the car is moving slow or stopped..
Garner Ames

1975 Pontiac Grand Am L77 - 14.82 @ 92.89
1991 Chevrolet C1500 L31 Vortec/5 Speed
2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LM7
2014 Chevrolet Caprice 9C1 L77 - 13.60 @ 105.87
2019 Chevrolet Express 3500 L96
BIG_GREEK

Post by BIG_GREEK »

Well I never used the auto function before, like i said, ive only had the fan on 0 or 1. Recently Ive been using the auto function and it seems a bit more manageable. I did notice that the car likes to use the A/C, even in 28*F LOL. Once the auto button is pressed (and illuminated) the AC snowflake is lit too. So i switch it off and the rest is set to auto (according to the display).

I wouldnt put it past the tech for messing something up. I went to auto school with him and always messed something up. Really hate speaking bad about someone....BUT. It did take him over 2 hours to perform the seat belt tensioner recall.
"God created Police Officers so Fireman could have heroes!" - My late Father

2014 Phatom Black 9C1 (Toy)
2000 VW Jetta TDI (Daily 420k miles)
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Yes, these cars are 'A/C first, everything else, you must change the setting for' no matter what. Even if I have the compressor turned off (just on vent, so to speak), when I reach my destination, and turn the HVAC off before turning the key off, the compressor ALWAYS comes on when turning the HVAC on.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?