Cooling fan activation

Discussion on Air Conditioning/Heat & electronic controls for the same, radiators/fans/engine cooling and related items.
lastcall190

Cooling fan activation

Post by lastcall190 »

Quick question. Anyone know off hand the temp at which the fans kick on with a stock tune? Thanks

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Cooling fan activation

Post by smwalker »

11-13 diagram:

Diagram Link
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Huge help. Thank you

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

I would like to thank Steve for posting the strategy of the radiator cooling fan operation. I am slowly working out of bugs on the last 2011 that I picked up. After I recharged the AC from swapping cams, I noticed that the fans ran at a lot faster speed than the first one I picked up. I popped the hood and started the troubleshooting and I noticed only one fan was running. I would hate to hear the air noise that both of them running on high speed. After read Steve's post, it was obvious that the one fan not running was open, which prevented both fans from running on low speed and the head pressure was getting high enough to switch the fans to high speed. Installed 2 new GM motors and now they act and sound like fans on the wife's car.

David
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

This topic came up again today and realized I did not have the 14+ info in here:

Huh they do not give temperature point on and off levels on the WN's. Just variable just does what ever it needs to do to keep it in a temp zone I guess.
wn cooling fan.png
wn cooling fan.png (873.37 KiB) Viewed 9646 times
wn cooling fan dia.png
wn cooling fan dia.png (89.23 KiB) Viewed 9646 times
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
BigBen 6.0

Post by BigBen 6.0 »

Any chance someone can get a picture of the wires going into a 14+ control module. Long story but I am fixing a wrecked car and the box was damaged, wires got switched(my fault, oops) that's what the picture is for, thought I switched them back right but even after replacing the control module still no fans. If my wires are all in the correct position, any suggestions on what else it could be? Main power to the fans is working, tested that already. Is the white/black wire an activation for the fans, if so is it a + or - signal? Any tips or ideas would be much appreciated.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Here are the relevant symbol descriptions. I am not sure what that means though.
There is a pull down resistor in the ECM. I would assume that pulls down a voltage with a ground so that means a positive voltage is sent to the fan module and the module turns that voltage level into a predetermined duty cycle for pulse width modulation of the fan speed.
symbol.png
symbol.png (11.86 KiB) Viewed 9566 times
symbol 2.png
symbol 2.png (16.74 KiB) Viewed 9566 times
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White