Vents for the rear?

Discussion on Air Conditioning/Heat & electronic controls for the same, radiators/fans/engine cooling and related items.
Yuckydog

Vents for the rear?

Post by Yuckydog »

For 9C1s are there any ductwork or vents under the front seats to direct heat/AC to the rear seats?
lastcall190

Re: Vents for the rear?

Post by lastcall190 »

Short answer is yes.

https://chevrolet.7zap.com/en/caprice/4 ... 27738-0-0/

The vents that come through the CONSOLE don't exist on a 9C1 in stock form (I know that wasn't your question but just commenting on it since it's a vent so I figured what the hell). The y-shaped duct, #8 in the diagram, is absent, and there is a block off plate on the duct behind the center section.

Item #9 in the picture is however present from the factory.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
Yuckydog

Post by Yuckydog »

Thanks for the reply, I'm torn between getting a 2011 9C3 and something in the '14-16 range for the various upgrades to the vehicle...

I remember old 70-80s cars from my childhood that would shoot out heat (but no AC) from underneath the front seats to the rear and was wondering if these Caprices had anything like that? My favorite feature of the old cars were the crotch vents you could open up for nice cold air! :lol:
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

If I had to do it again I'd do a 14+ 9C1 unless I found a nice deal on a 9C3 (the latter seems to fetch a premium, though I can say I kind of get why...).

The SS console can be thrown in the 14+ cars with minimal work, however I think due to the electronic emergency brake, you lose rear HVAC from the console body.

Are you referring to the vents under the steering wheel? I remember those on my buicks and olds cars!
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
Yuckydog

Post by Yuckydog »

Yes, the direct vent to the outside under the steering wheel that you could open up. It was refreshing during the cold months.

I've got to decide betwen a 2011 9C3 with 65k for just under $10k or a 2016 9C1 (no carpet, no rear interior door panels) that has 25k for $15k...