2014 CHEVY CAPRICE PPV AIR CONDITIONER NOT COLD

Discussion on Air Conditioning/Heat & electronic controls for the same, radiators/fans/engine cooling and related items.
2822MM

2014 CHEVY CAPRICE PPV AIR CONDITIONER NOT COLD

Post by 2822MM »

My 2014 PPV AIR WAS WORKING THEN IT GOT WARM. I HAD THE SYSTEM EMPTIED BY MY TECH THEN RECHARGED WITH R-134 FREON BUT ON THE PASSENGER SIDE ITS STILL SEMI COLD IF ANY. TRYING TO SEE IF ITS THE ORIFICE TUBE OR WHAT...
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: 2014 CHEVY CAPRICE PPV AIR CONDITIONER NOT COLD

Post by smwalker »

Do you know how he filled the system? By weight or by pressure?

There is an expansion valve at the firewall.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

usually if one side is cold and other not so cold , they are usually low on freon

the way the freon flows through the evaporator , and how its split to flow air from one side to the other , when low can favor to one side as the freon is cooling as it goes into the evaporator core , then converting from a liquid to gas to soon and running warm through the other half
2822MM

Post by 2822MM »

My tech filled it with R-134 Freon with the red and white gauges but he noticed that the pressures kept fluctuating. He thinks it might be the orifice tube unless there isn’t one because you had mentioned that there is an evaporator by firewall. I also took apart the passenger side temperature blender door actuator off under the dash which was very easy and I think it’s acting weird so I’m going to buy a new one just in case.
cerbomark

Post by cerbomark »

s/c'd cav wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:05 am usually if one side is cold and other not so cold , they are usually low on freon

the way the freon flows through the evaporator , and how its split to flow air from one side to the other , when low can favor to one side as the freon is cooling as it goes into the evaporator core , then converting from a liquid to gas to soon and running warm through the other half

Just recharged mine this week, same symptoms. Dealer re charge made all COLD. No leaks detected.
Get a proper recharge before digging into things is my advise to anyone reading this. Others agree (see quote).
2016 C1
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

holdens seem to be very temperamental on how much freon is in the system , so doing it by cans and gauges isnt the best for accuracy
cerbomark

Post by cerbomark »

s/c'd cav wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:32 am holdens seem to be very temperamental on how much freon is in the system , so doing it by cans and gauges isnt the best for accuracy
That s why I had the dealer do it and check for leaks and added dye for further investigation if needed. Thank you for explaining WHY on the cold side , hot side reason. Everyone jumps to "it has to be in the actuators".
2016 C1
2822MM

Post by 2822MM »

Thanks a lot guys for all your feedback. I’lol have dealer do the ac service like
you guys mentioned. How much does it cost btw?
Thanks in advance
2822MM

Post by 2822MM »

What’s the best way to access the expansion valve?
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

2822MM wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:20 pm What’s the best way to access the expansion valve?
It's right where the hose set goes into the firewall. You take off the hoses from the engine side then two allen heads hold the Expansion valve on to the evaporator assembly. 2 o-rings in there to replace if they are looking flat.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White