Holden parts sales to the US - replacing Crazy Paul

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
elc32955
System Manager

Holden parts sales to the US - replacing Crazy Paul

Post by elc32955 »

Hi folks!

I know there's a gap here with CP placing his business on hiatus. At the G8 extravaganza this last weekend, filling the hole left by CP's unexpected departure was a topic of discussion. There are several efforts being worked on by various clubs/groups (ourselves included!) in trying to open one or more parts channels to the US for keeping the supply of Holden goodies flowing. I wanted to start this thread so we can discuss this topic, AND if people have established contacts/sources or ideas on obtaining them, we can discuss, research, and do follow-up.

A few of the things that come to mind when trying to do business across borders (most of these have already occurred in some form) are...

1) Postage. How to get the best deal on shipping from faraway lands.

2) Taxes/VAT, etc.....

3) Customs duties.

4) Business presence in the US. Some companies prefer to deal with customers through a direct US subsidiary, others will wholesale to an already established US business which can then retail. CP had a few people here that were US extensions of his operation that also housed some commonly held inventory (cabin filters for instance) and were able to quickly ship when he gave them the go-code.

5) GM and their policies on parts sales could also come into play depending on how big things get in parts channels. For example, an existing GM dealer might not be able to order from a Holden after-market distributor, import to the US, and then resell. Unfortunately international business also sometimes requires a bit of a bankroll - especially if the wholesaler has stocking requirements.

The above was me brainstorming a little. Anyone interested feel free to chime in. I'll leave this post with one note - I am opening a dialog with one after-market parts distributor in Australia this week to see where things go. No guarantees.... but at least we're doing something!

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Holden parts sales to the US - replacing Crazy Paul

Post by smwalker »

I am in the middle of putting together an order of parts from various suppliers that do not routinely ship to the US and using a freight forwarder to send it to me.

Folks I am using: AUSFF - Australian Freight Forwarders

They consolidate all the stuff into one package to save on shipping to the US, Only thing is the packages have to be under 3 feet long so that leaves out a lot of stuff I want (spoilers, trim, etc). They say they can make special arrangements for the long stuff but just like with Paul I think it gets real expensive.

I will detail my order I put together and how it all comes out, parts are on way to freight forwarder now should arrive Sunday. They hold stuff till I request the shipment to be sent up to a certain number of days depending on the plan you buy. I bought the $7 one with a $5 off promo code so $2 and I think they will charge me for another package handling charge of $2 as I have 3 shipment coming to them). Customs and Duties I have no idea about yet, hope that is not a shock.

IN ordering stuff I have been talking to a few ebay sellers in AU and they are interested in shipping to the US they just kind of need direction on where to advertise and such or if their ebay listing are enough.

I will also be looking into the exchange rate. Using paypal I think they are taking about $5.00 for every $100 dollars spent. I have investigated a prepaid credit card through CiityBank that does not charge foreign transaction fees. They seem to give the most accurate exchange rate saving some money there. Discover also has one but I fear it may not be accepted by sellers there. Visa/MC seems to be the standard.

Will keep everyone updated once I get some final figures of the shipment.
Last edited by smwalker on Sat May 21, 2016 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
AirForceOne

Post by AirForceOne »

I have a friend I deployed with living in OZ. I'll check with him and see if he's willing to help the club out.
lsxJERRY

Post by lsxJERRY »

Has anyone used HoldenPartsUSA ?

They're located in Los Angeles, CA. Apparently they receive new products from Australia and update often. All "100% new authentic Holden parts for GTO, G8, and SS in the US".
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

They don't seem to know about the Caprice. :|
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Actually they do, just in the process of website updates. I'm returning an EMAIL from their owner as we speak. Charles Phelps from the G8/SS group first told me about these folks during the Extravaganza last weekend. We'll see what they come back with.

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
lsxJERRY

Post by lsxJERRY »

elc32955 wrote:Actually they do, just in the process of website updates. I'm returning an EMAIL from their owner as we speak. Charles Phelps from the G8/SS group first told me about these folks during the Extravaganza last weekend. We'll see what they come back with.

Thanks
Eric
Awesome, would be nice to have a business here in the US that can deal with all the importing of Holden parts. We're kind of a small niche market.

The only other business I know of that imports Holden parts is LeftHandUtes in Denver, CO. But I don't know if they'll be interested in selling parts.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Indeed. I do have a list of things I'd like to get.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

lsxJERRY wrote:Has anyone used HoldenPartsUSA ?

They're located in Los Angeles, CA. Apparently they receive new products from Australia and update often. All "100% new authentic Holden parts for GTO, G8, and SS in the US".
I recently got a steering wheel from Karo, guy behind the site, and in talking with him he was telling me he ships everything from AU overnight to avoid customs delays. I would think that would lead to some high prices but maybe not with stuff in bulk. He does it as a sideline to another business so I am not sure how much effort he wants to put into it. Kind of got the impression he would rather have big group purchase orders and have someone else do the individual shipping. But who knows maybe now with Paul gone there maybe room in the market for someone else to step up and take the business full time.

See what shakes out.

Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Hey all!

Just wanted to let everyone know that I had a very nice extended conversation with Karo this evening. He's now a member of the system and I've set up a separate vendor section for him here.

Karo brings us a US parts channel (he's based in Cali) for OEM Holden parts that potentially could save members money - since he does stock high demand items. Please consider him for your future Holden parts needs and make him feel welcome here. He's not a CP replacement as it would be very, very difficult to come across an individual with CP's specialty and corporate knowledge on these cars, but I have a very good feeling that we have a knowledgeable seller here.

Thanks
Eric