LAPD Demo Caprice

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
NJ 9C3

LAPD Demo Caprice

Post by NJ 9C3 »

Hey, I found these photos I've never see before of the LAPD demo Caprice. As some of you may know LAPD had a demo Pontiac G8 in 2009 and in 2011 they had a demo Caprice (which they ultimately never went to). These photos show you what modifications were made to the interior. This one was a 9C3, but the shifter appears to be missing the sport/manual option on it. Also it appears that the used G8 seats for this car and "chopped" the center console box to fit the prisoner partition.
PPV

Re: LAPD Demo Caprice

Post by PPV »

Cool find. They used a SV6 console trim piece too. I would love to have that shifter. Had to make my own version when installing a console in my 9C1.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (103.39 KiB) Viewed 15389 times
1970 SS454 Monte Carlo - triple black
1971 SS454 Monte Carlo - Red w/ black gut & top
1970 Convertible Mont Carlo - Sold
1968 K10 short wheel base
2009 Silverado 1500
2013 9C1 - PBM - Sold
2013 CTS-V Coupe Silver Frost Matte Eddition
2017 SS - PBM - M6 - Roof - Sold
2019 Silverado 1500 - LTZ 6.2
95_9C1

Post by 95_9C1 »

I wonder whatever happened to this LAPD Caprice?

I suppose it was sold in some auction, somewhere...
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Also, did y'all catch the angling of the padded box at the rear of the console? Guess it would depend if GM still had title to the vehicle when its usefulness as a demo was at an end. If LA owned it, no telling where it ended up. GM has a very bad habit of making their early prototype demos vanish into the night, never to be seen again except as scrap metal.

Neat find, thanks for posting the pics!!
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
storm9c1

Post by storm9c1 »

Yeah, if that's pre-production, it likely got crushed. Most pre-prod cars don't make it beyond their demonstration livery. We would have to know how early this car was. I know some late 2010 ones were kept around and perhaps owned by people here? But really early ones, I never saw again. I often wondered what happened to the ones used at the MSP testing in 2010. I took tons of pictures. And a few videos. It was that day when I decided I must have one if I ever have the chance. LOL. I should peek at my archive and see if any have similar characteristics to this LAPD unit.

A good example of this was watching the guys on Fast-n-Loud gut a pre-prod Hellcat... And when they were done, Chrysler was just going to take what was left and crush it. So they figured why not save a perfectly good drivetrain? Somehow they ended up with two drivetrains -- which they didn't talk about the second. The engine was just "sitting on shelf". Yeah, who has Hellcat engines just sitting on a shelf...
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.
NJ 9C3

Post by NJ 9C3 »

Note that this one also has some similarities to the original GM demo where the headlights are slightly different and has the chrome trimmed vent cover as seen in the photo. Obviously, looking at the interior of this car it is not the same car. What we do know is that production began as early as October 2010 and started to arrive in the US before December. Those GM 9C3 demos out of Michigan were on the test tracks then. I would love to know how the shipments of these cars went when they originally came over to the States. For example, mine is an October 2010 build, but wasn't registered in the US until February 2011 and I believe that mine was a GM demo.
K9Vic

Post by K9Vic »

storm9c1 wrote:A good example of this was watching the guys on Fast-n-Loud gut a pre-prod Hellcat... And when they were done, Chrysler was just going to take what was left and crush it. So they figured why not save a perfectly good drivetrain? Somehow they ended up with two drivetrains -- which they didn't talk about the second. The engine was just "sitting on shelf". Yeah, who has Hellcat engines just sitting on a shelf...
This is 100% fake TV drama, they did not just pull that first engine without permission from a crusher car. Dodge sponsors them and it was all done for advertising, nothing was taken out without permission from Dodge. This included the so called one sitting on a shelf, it was given to them by Dodge for the Roadkill challenge that you saw. Unlike the fake TV drama crap on Fast n Loud, the YouTube show Roadkill did the same thing with a crusher pre-production Charger, but said the truth that it was donated by Dodge from a crusher car. The Roadkill Charger GeneralMayhem was planned to get a Hellcat from Dodge long before this drag race was planned. Both shows are sponsored by Dodge, they gave them the motors for their shows. Only Reason Fast n Loud got a second one was because they told both shows to do the user challenge you saw.

The truth to all this can be seen in Roadkill episode #43 on YouTube.
orgdnr

Post by orgdnr »

As far as the Demo ppv goes. I spoke with a friend at work who transferred to my Dept. from PD. he called the piper tech supervisor who knew the car. the 19# of the 19600 door # indicates the city does not own it and it is only on loan. LAPD did the touch screen mods and cut the center console. The vehicle was returned to GM and was crushed. As much as everyone in PD wanted the car, the LA city charter requires that the vehicles are made in the states. we do have foreign badged cars but Honda civics are made in Ohio so they count as US manufactured.

on a side note, I would have loved to upgrade its front seats to actual ppv units from a 2012. :lol:
Dave
Chatsworth Ca

2012 9c1 ported LSA kooks 1 7/8 long tubes rotofab cai 575rwhp 570 tq. best repeatable 1/4 mile 11.32
69 Roadrunner 383 A/G 4 sp. bench seat (for sale) no rust
30 model A pickup QMP 383
Built Ford tough with chevy stuff
71 GMC suburban 4X4
K9Vic

Post by K9Vic »

orgdnr wrote:As far as the Demo ppv goes. I spoke with a friend at work who transferred to my Dept. from PD. he called the piper tech supervisor who knew the car. the 19# of the 19600 door # indicates the city does not own it and it is only on loan. LAPD did the touch screen mods and cut the center console. The vehicle was returned to GM and was crushed. As much as everyone in PD wanted the car, the LA city charter requires that the vehicles are made in the states. we do have foreign badged cars but Honda civics are made in Ohio so they count as US manufactured.

on a side note, I would have loved to upgrade its front seats to actual ppv units from a 2012. :lol:
It would be made in North America because the Crown Victoria was made in Canada and at the time they were still in production when this demo was used.
orgdnr

Post by orgdnr »

K9Vic wrote:
orgdnr wrote:As far as the Demo ppv goes. I spoke with a friend at work who transferred to my Dept. from PD. he called the piper tech supervisor who knew the car. the 19# of the 19600 door # indicates the city does not own it and it is only on loan. LAPD did the touch screen mods and cut the center console. The vehicle was returned to GM and was crushed. As much as everyone in PD wanted the car, the LA city charter requires that the vehicles are made in the states. we do have foreign badged cars but Honda civics are made in Ohio so they count as US manufactured.

It would be made in North America because the Crown Victoria was made in Canada and at the time they were still in production when this demo was used.
Could be, however that's what I was told from my coworker. Might have something to do with NAFTA.

It's too bad LAPD didn't use them. The auction yard is 30 miles from my house and we would all have spare parts!
Dave
Chatsworth Ca

2012 9c1 ported LSA kooks 1 7/8 long tubes rotofab cai 575rwhp 570 tq. best repeatable 1/4 mile 11.32
69 Roadrunner 383 A/G 4 sp. bench seat (for sale) no rust
30 model A pickup QMP 383
Built Ford tough with chevy stuff
71 GMC suburban 4X4