Check Engine Light

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
ejf2461

Check Engine Light

Post by ejf2461 »

Idling my car for hours last night my check engine light came on and started to idle rough
Also would say service stabiltrack and traction control light would come on. The last time it did this
I needed a new injector. The dealer just called and said it is not a spark plug, coil or
Injector. I am hoping it's not the dreaded displacement on demand camshaft. Has anybody
Seen this issue before?
2013 Impala 9C1
2013 Caprice PPV 9C1 V8
ejf2461

Re: Check Engine Light

Post by ejf2461 »

Dealer just called and said all cylinders except #3 has compression of 120. # has 90. Spark Plug, Coil & Injector are all OK. Mechanic thinks I might have a lifter sticking. If anyone has replaced a lifter or did I DOD Delete I would love to hear from you. Thanks
2013 Impala 9C1
2013 Caprice PPV 9C1 V8
fuzzkill

Post by fuzzkill »

Best bet would be to do the DOD delete, it's basically the same amount of labor at this point. Most likely lifter failure, especially if you weren't even driving it at the time just idling.
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

A lifter replace would be the cheapest option; drain coolant, remove valve train and head, replace lifter, replace head, gasket and valve train, fill coolant. Parts are cheap; mostly labor. A DOD delete would be much more money.
2014 Chevrolet Caprice PPV
2014 Chevrolet Stingray Z51
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
ejf2461

Post by ejf2461 »

Has anyone done a crate engine swap? Internet price is around $5700 which includes a 100K warranty. My dealer already warned me that even for a cam swap the engine would prob have to be removed so the labor would be the same. For resale reasons I cant say its got a new cam & lifters and expect to gain anything. If I say its had a new crate engine installed and has a 100k warranty that would seem to assist me. Or would sending it to a performance rebuilder be the way to go?
2013 Impala 9C1
2013 Caprice PPV 9C1 V8
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

If you're talking crate motors how about an LS3 swap perhaps? Lot of motors on EBAY ($4-5K range) or at reputable salvage yards, toss in a new calibration with HP Tuners after you swap it and away you go with 425HP or thereabouts. Be a good time to toss headers into the mix as well. And 3.45's would light that puppy right on up!

Just DOD delete it and be done with current & future problems if you're needing to go the economical route. But if you have to open the motor, it's the time to do them all at once, unless you want to do it all again when the next lifter acts up.
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

ejf2461 wrote:Has anyone done a crate engine swap? Internet price is around $5700 which includes a 100K warranty. My dealer already warned me that even for a cam swap the engine would prob have to be removed so the labor would be the same. For resale reasons I cant say its got a new cam & lifters and expect to gain anything. If I say its had a new crate engine installed and has a 100k warranty that would seem to assist me. Or would sending it to a performance rebuilder be the way to go?
As has been pointed out to you repeatedly in your past threads, your dealership is clearly not the best. Their claim that the motor has to come out to do a cam swap is just WRONG. There are multiple threads and TV shows where various platforms, even the tighter Camaro have had cam swaps easily done with engine in place. If you have no other issues besides this one it would seem that clearly the way to go is a DOD delete, even if you want to cheap out and use a stock type GM camshaft and not replace all the lifters with new. At worse they would charge you to evac and charge AC because they want to remove the condenser that is partially in the way. If you did it properly on the entire engine with all new parts, perhaps even a better camshaft and a retune there would of course be added value to you and any future owner especially when you show them it was dealer installed.

Time for you to give up the "giant discount" they give you story and find yourself a competent local performance car shop, hopefully one that can tune also and give you some peace of mind about your decision making process that you continue to come to this forum for.
fuzzkill

Post by fuzzkill »

To be fair, the official service procedure for a camshaft change calls for engine removal. Unless you know the service writer on a personal level, you are not going to convince them to do it any other way.

Of course you can change the cam in the car. But what incentive do they have to do that? They are supposed to go by the labor guide and procedure. Independent shops would be more likely to do it in the car.

Unless you were going to pull 1 head and change the 1 lifter that was bad (you shouldn't) then the DOD delete is minimal money compared to the labor. Just find a shop that will do it the reasonable way.
ejf2461

Post by ejf2461 »

Well here is the verdict! Stanley Chevrolet just called and said the camshaft & lifters will need to be replaced and that all engine gaskets..I had a oil pan gasket leaking already. $4100. A new crate engine installed w/3yr 100k warranty is $8100. I called Lingenfelter and priced a DOD Delete kit $550 + a LS3 type cam $390+HD Springs, Titanium Valves/Guides/Seals $490 this would add 25-50hp depending on what cam I choose. After the dealer installed this kit I would have the Caprice towed 130 miles to Lingenfelter to have a custom tune done $500. If I went this route I would still be about $5k on an engine with 120k miles. Lingenfelter also said for $13k they would install a LS3 with 550+HP. I guess you cant get a little bit pregnant! I'm already $30k into this car making in perfect. Funny I bought it a year ago for $10k w/92K. What do you guys think. I told the dealer to give me till the end of the day! Also Lingenfelter is 8 weeks out on installs & custom tunes.
2013 Impala 9C1
2013 Caprice PPV 9C1 V8
kevink

Post by kevink »

ejf2461 wrote:Well here is the verdict! Stanley Chevrolet just called and said the camshaft & lifters will need to be replaced and that all engine gaskets..I had a oil pan gasket leaking already. $4100. A new crate engine installed w/3yr 100k warranty is $8100. I called Lingenfelter and priced a DOD Delete kit $550 + a LS3 type cam $390+HD Springs, Titanium Valves/Guides/Seals $490 this would add 25-50hp depending on what cam I choose. After the dealer installed this kit I would have the Caprice towed 130 miles to Lingenfelter to have a custom tune done $500. If I went this route I would still be about $5k on an engine with 120k miles. Lingenfelter also said for $13k they would install a LS3 with 550+HP. I guess you cant get a little bit pregnant! I'm already $30k into this car making in perfect. Funny I bought it a year ago for $10k w/92K. What do you guys think. I told the dealer to give me till the end of the day! Also Lingenfelter is 8 weeks out on installs & custom tunes.
Can you please provide the part number for the titanium valves?
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.