System updates

This forum is for administrator/moderator updates on system status, updates, enhancements, etc.
elc32955
System Manager

Re: System updates

Post by elc32955 »

Hey everyone...

Just to make you aware, there's been some unanticipated downtime over the last two days on the system. The root cause of this downtime is internet disruption. If the connectivity paths to the system are disrupted, the servers may be up, your end-user end may be up & functioning normally, but the lines between the two are not working correctly so both ends don't talk to each other. I could go into a technical explanation on resolving DNS, yada yada, but until person(s) unknown decide to quit playing games with the Internet & underlying connectivity I can't tell you when things will get back to normal. Hopefully soon. I was up at 5 AM this morning monitoring the connectivity issues and went to bed when the system was finally able to be accessed again. NyteTyme called me at 11 AM and passed along that it's been going on all day today so far. Bleh.

If I get some noteworthy news that needs to be passed along I will, other then that we just have to ride this mess out.

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Hi folks!

I've performed some cleanup actions today on the vendor subforum sections.

1) I've locked the Crazy Paul subforum from new posts, all current messages will stay intact as a reference.

2) I have moved all messages that were in the Dal Slabaugh subforum into the general discussion forum and deleted Dal's subsection. There was not enough activity in this section to warrant it's retention on the system, with no posts in close to one year and no recent activity or presence from Dal on this system, it's time to clean house. Twelve months with no activity automatically flips the zap gun to "kill" mode in my book. Also I am de-listing Auffenberg Chevrolet as a site sponsor the next time I get motivated to clean up the main menu page. There are better deals to be had on the 'net and without participation from Dal on our system as an information resource this dealership is not doing anything for us - so I will no longer carry their water.

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Dal has been kind of quiet lately. I hope he's okay.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Eric do you have a public email address I can give out over on FB? Some of the guys are saying they cannot get into the forum on a PC, only their phones. THought i would have them contact you directly.

I know we used to have a virus warning, that still a thing keeping people out?
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Sure, you can use my "elc32955@aol.com" email address. I'd be glad to work with anyone that is not able to access the forum.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Hey everyone!

This is a quick advisory for a system outage later this afternoon due to a server upgrade. Our hosting provider is making some configuration changes at the data center which will knock us off-line potentially for up to a few hours. The system will be restored as soon as possible, this is for addition of a redundant server setup to enhance reliability of the network.

Thanks!
Eric
BIG_GREEK

Post by BIG_GREEK »

Any info on possibly looking into a Tapatalk feature for mobile users?
"God created Police Officers so Fireman could have heroes!" - My late Father

2014 Phatom Black 9C1 (Toy)
2000 VW Jetta TDI (Daily 420k miles)
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

I'll check into it for our next system upgrade. I need to get the developer on the right track and moving forward anyway, thanks for the good suggestion!

Eric
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Hey everyone...

Just a brief update for you, it's DNS service renewal time again. I've used Network Solutions for my DNS since the early 2000's (when they were really STILL Network Solutions). Ever since the company's acquisition by Web.Com a number of years back, they have slid, IMHO, down the slippery slide from reputable to UCK! as far as their ethos and customer service. So, now that their new pricing structure wants $37.99 for an annual (12 months) DNS re-up per domain name, they can go pack it.

Soooo.... I'm transferring all my DNS over to another registrar sometime next week. This is just a heads-up that probably sometime during the later part of the week there will be a small flash of downtime on the system while the transfer actually takes place. So... if New Caprice 404's on you during that time, don't worry - I didn't embezzle the assets and fly off to Argentina. It'll come back as soon as the name servers do their thing.

Thanks
Eric
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

AND... keeping everyone in the loop - I've received my transfer codes and I'm inputting the transfer request to the new registrar now. Downtime shortly pending.

UPDATE - Looks like it'll be Sunday night for downtime, probably late evening after 8 PM.

Thanks
Eric