System updates

This forum is for administrator/moderator updates on system status, updates, enhancements, etc.
Mooseman

Re: System updates

Post by Mooseman » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:05 am

I'm a mod on another board and we had one guy, who was actually a major contributor, go all scorched earth and deleted most of his content because he got called out on something. He basically went post by post and replaced them with slashes. I spent the better part of a day restoring most of it (he didn't realize that the software keeps edit versions for a while).

So yeah, I understand it perfectly.
2011 Caprice PPV, 1 of possibly 4 in Canada!

elc32955
System Manager

Re: System updates

Post by elc32955 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:19 pm

HI folks!

Just wanted to let everyone know that I've gone through the user database this morning and deleted all old accounts that have zero post traffic that were made before September 1, 2018. The last time I did this was in mid-2016.

We do this for a number of reasons. Primary is that before this time, most all accounts were basically auto-validated. Scott tells me we had a spammer come through with an auto-validated account that had been dormant for a considerable period of time before it started spewing ilk. Fine, I just took care of that problem! Under our new validation standards you have to prove to an admin that you are living, breathing, and can take instruction before we let you into the forums with a post-capable account.

Going forward I'll be purging the database every 6 months, this means you have at least 180 days to make a first post if you're a new user. Dormant accounts (with zero historical posts) longer then this interval are subject to deletion during the next database maintenance activity.

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tourguide for the day. Caprice Alumni, former owner of a 2011 Caprice 9C3 with a Rotofab CAI and front radiator cover, 3.45 LSD Camaro rear diff, Chris Henry performance tune, G8 GT 18" Enkei rims w/Holden lions, custom SLP axle-back muffler set with tips, Holden WM Caprice factory spoiler, Holden SSV leather steering wheel and leather shift knob, Whelen Alpha-12Q airhorn amp. G8 GT rear seat swap, AVS Ventshades.