System updates

This forum is for administrator/moderator updates on system status, updates, enhancements, etc.
kevink

Re: System updates

Post by kevink »

It would be much better on the left.
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
elc32955
System Manager

Re: SYSTEM UPDATE COMPLETED

Post by elc32955 »

I just thought I'd share this. Here's how the forums look on the built-in browser on my wife's 2015 Volvo S60. Enjoy!

Eric
20181216_135834.jpg
20181216_135834.jpg (4.06 MiB) Viewed 16109 times
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
elc32955
System Manager

Re: SYSTEM UPDATE COMPLETED

Post by elc32955 »

I sent that last message as a test. I was posting from my Galaxy S9.

ALSO, just a brief update - I found that the config change to open clicked links in a separate window will take a template modification. I'll see what has to be done to get this change made before the end of the year. I'm going to wait just a little bit to see if any other configuration issues pop up that need fixing.

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

One or two other minor items, we had a bunch of threads all related to system updates and the upgrade process just completed. For simplicity sake and to maintain a good timeline, I've consolidated the misc. threads all into the "System updates" thread. All posts are still present & accounted for!

Also, I'm exploring the possibility of adding the embed video option here, that will allow posting of videos directly into forum messages! I think I can do it, just need to make sure to do it correctly the first time.... More options available to us with the upgraded forum software!

Thanks
Eric
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Ok, I've made three updates so far today.

1) The first (as you can see from my post above) is that we now have video streaming access inside forum messages. The button directly to the right of the text size that looks like a video screen will toggle a request for a URL. Drop the video URL where it wants and then when you send the message, BAM! If the site can see the video then it'll basically take it. No inappropriate material please or the zapgun comes out!

2) The button marked "nturl" stands for New Tab URL, meaning that if you post a link via this button it will automatically display in a new window. This is selectable by the poster, so remember to use this when posting external links and you're set. I didn't have to do a template mod for this one as I thought originally, but found a way to do it through BBCode.

3) Just an update, I wasn't happy with just leaving it on a button in the message for the OP to designate, so I installed a mod that will now let the board behave like our old one - no user action now required on external links. NOW, you have the capability in the User Control Panel to designate whether you want to go into a new window or not when clicking an off-site link. If you choose to enable this, happily into a new window you will go. If you don't enable it, you stay in the same screen when clicking external linkies. This issue is now completely closed.

More improvements coming shortly.... so stay tuned!

Eric
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

I'm on a roll today installing updates!

I've had numerous requests over the years to provide an easy method (read - Paypal button!) to make a donation to defer the operation costs of the New Caprice system. I just installed a simple module that will allow for Paypal donations to take place. To access the module, there is now a button labeled "Donate" on the top menu bar, this will take you to a system page where you can donate to Paypal to support our website and forum system.

As of right now I'm not soliciting for donations, however when we elect to do so there will be a clear statement as to how much we're looking for, how much has been received, and what the money will be used to accomplish (pay DNS registration, pay hosting space, pay for the Developer's time to make board upgrades, etc etc..). There's no advertising or sponsorships here, and I in no way have any intention to monetize the system on a for-profit basis.

Thanks
Eric
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Very nice!
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

OK, installed another mod. We now have a feature called "Similar topics" which will display on the bottom of any forum thread. There are SO many people on the system that either don't want to or don't know how to use basic search functions on things they are looking for. So, if you go to topics about...say... coolant reservoir cracks for instance. The system will run a quick scan after a thread goes up, look for similar threads/topics containing those keywords, and put up a link to the five most relevant previous threads. I can see where it will unlock a lot more information more quickly for people then just blind searches. If you find one thread, you get links to the others on the board.

We'll try it for a while and see how it runs. I can adjust settings if it picks up too much garbage.

Thanks
Eric
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

And... another one added in. I now have a masthead system announcement space that I can use to make sure all users can get something that the system management deems important. You can retire the announcement after reading from the User Control Panel if you wish.

Thanks
Eric