Canuck Caprice

Tell us about your new PPV, show us some pictures, let us know how you did what you did!
Forum rules
One thread per car per member in this section. No thread hijacking in this section please, if it's strictly a tech discussion please move it to the appropriate sub-forum - moderators can assist if needed or requested.
Mooseman

Re: Canuck Caprice

Post by Mooseman »

Well, they sure felt heavier than the steelies with the RSA's. I should do a weight comparison next time I take them off. Tires by themselves felt heavy. True now I can pull the spare out. I should also pull that second battery.

For the calipers, I might try something different. Since there is no real braking performance difference, I might just clean and paint them black, get some red custom vinyl decals, like the Brembos, that say "CAPRICE PPV" with the Chevy Bowtie, and then clear coat them.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

I like how the wheels turned out. How much it run you to have 4 wheels powdercoated? Seems like a nice option if well used wheels are had for a decent deal.

The JBA exhaust, are those the LTs/associated mid-section/axle back? Are they for an SS?

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

The wheels themselves were just $100 after I sold the winter tires that were on them. They were heavily corroded from winter use. It cost $130CAD + $15/wheel for tire install and balance using black stick-on weights. I think the all black look is better than the original natural spokes like in the first pic. And it would have cost an extra $40CAD per wheel to machine the spokes to natural aluminum.

Yep, the headers are long tube. JBA Exhaust is cat back. Both for an SS so I will have to get the tips extended.
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Well, this might be the end of the line for this Canadian Caprice.

I can't find any damned insurance for the Caprice. When I first bought it, I had issues with finding insurance for it because the VIN comes up as invalid on their system. Finally found some when a broker was able to get it done with a particular insurance company at a reasonable price. Fast forward to now, because they changed their system, they won't renew my policy. Asshats are too damned lazy to even try. Apparently it's an issue with the Insurance Board of Canada because they don't have this VIN series in their database (remember, I have the only one in Canada). Sent them an email an they basically said to go pound sand because it's considered a commercial "police use only" vehicle. What the hell? So all those Crown Vic, Taurus, Exploders police interceptors and Tahoe PPV shouldn't be insured then.

So my broker tells me that the only possible option is a high risk insurance policy, same as drunk drivers and repeat speeders. Like hell I'm going to pay 2 to 3x a normal premium. I have a perfect driving record and for that, I get raped by the Hulk without lube? I don't think so.

Another broker I talked to said I might have to get commercial insurance, which is also more expensive. It's a car, not a damned dump truck.

I even contacted Hagerty insurance which specializes in classic, specialty and collector cars. They won't insure it because it's too new. I'd have less problems getting a kit car insured.

So if i can't get any insurance, I'll either have to sell it to the US, part it out or turn it into a trailer queen. Parting it out would be a bitch because nobody else here has them so I'd be shipping parts to the US.

And I have over $2k in parts waiting to get installed. :x
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Damn!! We had issues first off, and that was with USAA. They kept wanting to call it a ‘gray-market’ car. I firmly let them know that these cars are imports, imported by Chevrolet, and used by many LEOs. They eventually did THEIR homework, and we got a policy.

It should be no different from a Pontiac G8, Chevrolet SS, or freaking Toyota Camry.

Ask your insurance company how they would insure your 2018 Chevrolet SS. Pretty much the same car.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

I'm in the states but Farmer's was going to give me a policy until they wanted obscenely more than Geico.

In the process I compared Progressive, Farmers and Geico, and Geico is by far the cheapest in my case even though I'm paying the "under 25 with a sports car" penalty.

Farmers told me to get another car or wait until I'm over 25. Like hell, I want my damn Caprice. If I wanted a grocery getter I would've bought one.

Regardless, sounds like BS and I'm sure you can find an insurance company that will take care of you much better. Good luck.
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Damn... OP, maybe you can reach out on FB groups or the like and see if anyone else in Canada has one? Doesn't sound like it but you never know.

:lol: "wait until you're over 25..." What a solution.

And yes, ask about other AU imported cars... can't see how it would be any different. Then again I'm not in the insurance game, let alone in Canada.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

CrashTestDummy wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 10:30 pm It should be no different from a Pontiac G8, Chevrolet SS, or freaking Toyota Camry.

Ask your insurance company how they would insure your 2018 Chevrolet SS. Pretty much the same car.
Unfortunately, the SS was never brought to Canada either so that's out as an argument.

I know what you guys south of the border went through initially for insuring them. Because there are way more of them there, it was in insurance companies' interest to add them to the database. However, I likely have the only one here. The other possible three supposedly went to Six Nations Police in Ontario and more than likely got thrashed (yet to be confirmed). They also probably had some sort of municipal or commercial insurance for them, which is why they were also never added to the Insurance Bureau database for regular passenger vehicles.

Today is a holiday here. Hopefully I will have better news tomorrow.

By the way, do the US Caprices have this sticker on the driver side B pillar? Sure looks like a Canadian certification of some sort to me.
Can Cert
Can Cert
IMG_20190517_141550 (Large).jpg (80.99 KiB) Viewed 13161 times
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

I just did some more research on that sticker and it is a Canadian Safety Compliance label and that it is certified as a passenger car with the type code PC/VT:
https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/reg ... t.html#s-6

So it is not an incomplete or commercial vehicle. I think I have enough to make them add it to the database. Sent the Insurance Bureau another follow-up email.

I retired from government to get out of red tape and this is the worst. If they still refuse, I'll involve the news media. They have no reason to deny it.
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

i do not remember seeing a maple leaf on my VIN sticker of my caprice or my SS