"Upfit Build"

Tell us about your new PPV, show us some pictures, let us know how you did what you did!
Forum rules
One thread per car per member in this section. No thread hijacking in this section please, if it's strictly a tech discussion please move it to the appropriate sub-forum - moderators can assist if needed or requested.
BIG_GREEK

Re: "Upfit Build"

Post by BIG_GREEK »

I would bet dollars to doughnuts :D that is the neatest up-fit done on a Caprice!

Maurice
I can bet more than that. Ive seen upfits done by "professionals" that install and take care of state and government fleets.........luck has to be on their side. Im shocked none of them have caught fire. I spent about 3 weeks doing this (one week on vaca, and the rest on my weekends off).
To be a true "upfit" you must break at least one or more clips or fasteners on each panel ...must cut off all plug connectors and ends and then butt connect them (even though the other half of the plug is in the glove-box) You must drill and mount components to the dash's most expensive section thats the hardest to replace ...not the cheap easily removed one. .......From what I've seen. (have 5- 12's and 3- 14's sold one 12) BTW, have this KERR ind. relay board if interested $40 + "actual" fedex shipping no added jack ups.
Hahaha see above comment for reaction!! lol

PM me a shipping quote, ill take both the assembly and the speaker mount (even though i was supplied with one, 2014, mounted on the hood latch).
Any idea how much the sound deadener film weighed? That could probably cut down on a log of 'booming' as the car goes down the road, but I don't want to add much more weight to an already heavy car.
The sound deadener, I ordered it from Amazon. Its the 80mil thickness x 25sq/ft. According to the website, shipping weight is 10.8lbs. So not too terrible. It made a huge huge difference in sound within the car. I used every bit of it, I also put a 18"x12" piece in each rear inner door skin.
damn!!!! 4 radios. Nice work
lol, plus the scanner! Thanks!
"God created Police Officers so Fireman could have heroes!" - My late Father

2014 Phatom Black 9C1 (Toy)
2000 VW Jetta TDI (Daily 420k miles)
BIG_GREEK

Post by BIG_GREEK »

Also, here is the inside of the trunk lid, dont mind the bad reflector placement/job. Thats all I had at the time.

Also, note the radio placement. Theyre bolted to the deck, I was going to install a tray, but I like my trunk space. I dont have the second battery, instead all of my equipment is in the 2nd battery's spot. (Fuse panel and controller).
Attachments
thumbnail.jpg
thumbnail.jpg (96.39 KiB) Viewed 16905 times

paul54

Post by paul54 »

Thanks for sharing, that is awesome. I am planning the radio install in my 14 right now. Just waiting on the Havis console (backordered till 12/1). I am putting in a Yaesu ft-8800 dual band, a Uniden 536hp (both of those have havis custom faceplates). Debating on a DMR rig, really don't want to go thru the expense of another Motorola, so may do the Connect Systems CS800.

Also have the dual USB/cig lighter plate, thats a cool idea. Maybe even jack one into the "hidden" USB cable that I have uncovered thanks to the forum.

Paul
BIG_GREEK

Post by BIG_GREEK »

paul54 wrote:Thanks for sharing, that is awesome. I am planning the radio install in my 14 right now. Just waiting on the Havis console (backordered till 12/1). I am putting in a Yaesu ft-8800 dual band, a Uniden 536hp (both of those have havis custom faceplates). Debating on a DMR rig, really don't want to go thru the expense of another Motorola, so may do the Connect Systems CS800.

Also have the dual USB/cig lighter plate, thats a cool idea. Maybe even jack one into the "hidden" USB cable that I have uncovered thanks to the forum.

Paul
The Motorola DMR (TRBOs) are fairly cheap, you can find them on ebay for sub $175, if you look hard enough. I dont know how much the ham units run, Ive always been exposed to the Motorola side of the group, so thats my go to. Plus, in my immediate area, there arent any DMR systems up.

On the console, I have that pass thru, one for AUX and the other USB. I bought an extension harness that I really didnt need but everything was run already. The AUX isnt hooked up, for obvious reasons, until I upgrade the "silverbox".

paul54

Post by paul54 »

I've have had a bunch of moto's, and currently have two portables and might just adapt one for mobile use. My DMR repeaters are close by.

Take pictures of the silver box process! Looks like that is a workout.

Paul
BIG_GREEK

Post by BIG_GREEK »

The silverbox is located behind the hvac controls, which means disassembling and removing the console to have access to the dash. Then sending it out to Chris White (White Audio and Media, located in the vendors section) for a reprogram.

Which portables do you have?

paul54

Post by paul54 »

I have two XPR6550's and a XPR4550 in the daily driver.
BIG_GREEK

Post by BIG_GREEK »

very good, they are decent little radios. Yea, the two XPRs I have in mine are the 4550s, one VHF and one High split (450-512) UHF.