2014 Caprice PPV - YouTube Project Car

Tell us about your new PPV, show us some pictures, let us know how you did what you did!
Forum rules
One thread per car per member in this section. No thread hijacking in this section please, if it's strictly a tech discussion please move it to the appropriate sub-forum - moderators can assist if needed or requested.
CrashTestDummy

Re: Project Status Update - 5/3/2020

Post by CrashTestDummy »

rcg530 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:24 pm I have replaced a noisy alternator, installed a locking gas cap that uses my car's blade key and I've replaced the flat metal style engine oil dipstick with a cable style dipstick.
<SNIP>
Thanks for the P/N for the cable-style dipstick. While I'm not entirely-sold on the cable unit, we have one in our '02 Duramax, I can't for the life of me understand what, in the depth of their ignorance, made GM come up with that two-freakin'-piece dipstick. I guess GM really doesn't GAF if the thing breaks after the warranty is up, but for someone who's actually dealt with a broken dipstick (on my 72 T/A), that's a real PITA to fix.

I'll have to go out and measure the dipstick on our 9C1 and PPV to see if I need to order two of the cable models.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
rcg530

Project Status Update - 5/19/2020

Post by rcg530 »

I reveal the new wheels and tires I purchased for my 2014 Chevrolet Caprice PPV. I test out a product to remove scratches on the windshield. I replace the windshield reveal moldings which greatly improves the look of the car. I also replace the center rearview mirror with an auto dimming mirror which also has a Homelink transmitter. I also show you an upcoming change I want to make to the interior of the Caprice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMzFYsR8OjQ
2014 Chevy Caprice PPV | RetroCarGuy530 YouTube Channel
Mooseman

Re: 2014 Caprice PPV - YouTube Project Car

Post by Mooseman »

Nice wheels. Really goes well with the car.

Good find on the carpet. Highly sought after and makes it look less utilitarian. I left the rubber mat there and laid the carpet on top of it minus the carpet's backing, foam filler and left foot rest. I installed the foot rest through the mat and the carpet. I think it adds a little more sound insulation this way and you don't have to deal with pulling the mat.

Interesting about the mirror. I had no idea there were aftermarket mirrors like that available.

Good job on the project.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Nice updates. I should really get some new reveal moldings as mine look like hell (along with the roof ones).

I too love my full carpet. Now I just need mats.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
rcg530

New (non-Fleet) key FOBs have been programmed

Post by rcg530 »

I've been trying to get my 2014 Caprice PPV configured to not have any fleet keys/FOBs functional with my car. I mentioned in one of my YouTube videos that my PPV has RPO code 6E3 which means it was configured with a fleet key/FOB. The single key/FOB I obtained with my PPV had a key blade that worked in all lock cylinders, the chip in the FOB was recognized by the immobilizer system, but the FOB did not work. When I used my Autel MS906 scan tool, I could see that it recognized the FOB/chip as a "Fleet Key".

My objective was to reverse the changes made by RPO code 6E3 and have only two blade keys and FOBs that worked with my PPV (no "Fleet" anything).

I was able to get the lock cylinders rekeyed a few weeks ago. The issue was finding a FOB that was not a "Fleet" FOB that could be programmed with my 2014 Caprice PPV.

The 2014 Police Technical Guide has a section that talks about "Keys and Transmitters" There are two "Master" FOBs (cut/uncut blade keys) and then another FOB for fleet. I attempted to order FOB with P/N 13585687 and I supplied my VIN to the online GM parts seller. They canceled the order stating the FOB was not compatible with that VIN. After we had a "discussion" on the phone, I submitted the same order without supplying the VIN so they would process the order for the FOBs.

I received the FOBs (uncut blade keys) a couple of weeks ago. I was finally able to get the locksmith out again today. He cut the blade keys to match the updated lock cylinder config he setup a few weeks ago. He was also able to have the BCM forget all eight (8) FOBs/keys it knew of and then he successfully programmed the two new FOBs.

I finally have functional FOBs (lock, unlock, trunk open, remote start) except the panic button does not activate the panic alarm/horn. Another section the 2014 police technical guide shows that the panic button would not be function for the RPO code AMF (package of six FOBs). I'm not upset that doesn't work at all.

The other P/N related item is that I ordered 13585687, but when I opened the bag containing the FOBs, the part number listed on the side of the FOB was 13585404 not 13585687.

P/N 13585404 is the other "Master" FOB part number listed in the 2014 police technical guide, but it was to have a random precut blade key. It appears that P/N 13585687 is simply a P/N to indicate it comes with a blank blade key, but the same FOB is used as P/N 13585404.

My 2014 PPV is finally starting to feel like a "normal" car.
fob_pic.png
fob_pic.png (340.19 KiB) Viewed 8420 times
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

You mentioned in your BCM programming video that you once tried to activate the Theft deterrent system that was one of the 4 options you could do with the programming. I was wondering if when that was activated does that include the panic button operation?? Do you remember trying it? When that option was enabled did the car do anything different?
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
rcg530

Post by rcg530 »

smwalker wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:49 pm You mentioned in your BCM programming video that you once tried to activate the Theft deterrent system that was one of the 4 options you could do with the programming. I was wondering if when that was activated does that include the panic button operation?? Do you remember trying it? When that option was enabled did the car do anything different?
When I had the theft deterrent feature enabled, I didn't have a FOB that worked with my car. I tried testing the theft deterrent system by locking the doors (with the key in the driver's door lock cylinder) and waiting for 30 seconds to allow the alarm to get enabled/armed. I didn't see anything flashing or lit on the IP nor at the center dashboard light sensor where I believe I used to see it blink (or stay on steady while waiting to arm) when the theft deterrent system was enabled on my former Chevy SS Sedan. I opened the driver's door after the "arming period" and nothing happened.

Just this evening I had the same general question whether re-enabling the theft deterrent system feature in the BCM might change the panic alarm behavior. I'll have to setup another BCM programming session to test out that theory.

I want to send off my radio silverbox to get it reprogrammed to enable the backup camera feature, updating the OS and having the SiriusXm receiver enabled by sending to White Automotive & Media Services. I've waited on this only to allow for the FOB programming to take place with all of the equipment in the car, before I pull out the silverbox and have the car down for a week or so waiting for the silverbox to be updated and shipped back to me.
rcg530

Post by rcg530 »

smwalker wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:49 pm You mentioned in your BCM programming video that you once tried to activate the Theft deterrent system that was one of the 4 options you could do with the programming. I was wondering if when that was activated does that include the panic button operation?? Do you remember trying it? When that option was enabled did the car do anything different?
I updated the BCM one more time this morning to see if I could get the theft deterrent system operational as well as the "Panic" button on the FOB.

History:
  • Purchased my Caprice PPV which including one FOB/key - FOB did not work with the car, but the chip in the FOB was known to the immobilizer system
  • Checking in the BCM using my Autel MS906 scan tool, I could see that the "Key" was known to the BCM as a "Fleet Key"
  • My car was configured with "Fleet Key" RPO code 6E3, so it had lock cylinders and FOB (chip in FOB) with a "Fleet" blade key and chip id.
  • I had a locksmith rekey the two front doors, trunk and ignition lock cylinders to have a non-Fleet blade key
  • Locksmith and I ran a test to see if the updated blade key in an unknown FOB/chip in the FOB would trigger the immobilizer - Yes the immobilizer kicked in and prevented the running of the engine due to the unknown chip in the FOB. This confirmed that the immobilizer system was actively checking the chip in the FOBs
  • The locksmith was not able to obtain the correct FOBs for the car (we needed more research at time as well).
  • In the "2014 Chevrolet Municipal Vehicles Technical Manual" there is chart showing various FOBs, keys with no FOB options (fleet and non-fleet).
  • Based on the info in the "2014 Chevrolet Municipal Vehicles Technical Manual", I ordered two "master" (non-fleet) FOBs with blank blade keys P/N 13585687.
  • I finally had my GM MDI J2534 programming tool and battery voltage maintainer for module programming, so I purchased my 24 month subscription to ACDelco TDS for my car's VIN which allows my access to calibration updates for the various control modules in the car.
  • Keep in mind, I still didn't have a FOB that worked with my car
  • I updated the BCM selecting options to activate the DRLs/Automatic headlights, activate the rear door window switches and the theft deterrent system
  • I found the only option that appeared to not work was the theft deterrent system, so I reversed that change leaving only the DRLs/Automatic headlights enabled and the rear door window switches enabled
  • Several weeks pass as I await the arrival of the FOBs that I ordered.
  • Updated FOBs arrived, but then I have to wait on the availability of the locksmith - I may have been able to perform this myself using the ACDelco/GM SPS software, but I didn't want to possibly screw something up that the locksmith may have been more familiar with than I am at this time.
  • The locksmith was able to update the BCM to forget all previous FOBs and he then programmed the two new FOBs/chips into the BCM
  • The BCM now only shows it knows of two FOBs/chip ids
  • FOB buttons work except for the "Panic" button
  • I updated the BCM, but this time I add back in the theft deterrent system. I believe you need to use the FOB to be the one to lock the car to activate the theft deterrent system
  • Tested arming the theft deterrent system with my FOB and it started the arming process (center dash light illuminates for about 30 seconds and then begins to flash every two to three seconds)
  • I tested the theft deterrent system by opening one of the front doors by reaching in an double pulling the interior door handle (first pull - unlocks door / second pull opens door)
  • The theft deterrent system started honking the horn (as it should) - this is working!
  • I then tested the "Panic" button the FOB and that still does not work.
  • I've confirmed the two new FOBs are transmitting when I press the Panic buttons (confirmed with my Autel TS601 scan tool).
After all of the time and effort that went into this project, I was able to get:
  • Functional DRLs/Automatic headlights
  • Functional rear door window switches
  • Functional theft deterrent system (when armed by the FOB lock request)
  • An almost fully functional FOB (works - lock/unlock/trunk open/remote start // doesn't work - panic alarm).
  • The car should no longer respond to any fleet FOBs (remote), the immobilizer will not accept a fleet "chip" in a fleet FOB and it cannot be unlocked using a fleet blade key.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Nice!! Thanks for the extra effort!! Good to know we can get that going.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

I think that's a hard coded thing by GM in all their BCM programming for police vehicles. All GM police vehicles have all automatic horn functions disabled, including the confirmation of locked doors and the panic. It used to piss me off that it didn't work when looking for MY police car in the lot when they all look alike. Fords worked. Weird GM logic.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419