SS Mufflers

Post your Caprice PPV parts & components for sale here.
Forum rules
Acceptable items for posting include OEM new/used replacement parts, aftermarket parts, salvage yard parts, maintenance/repair tools & tooling, service publications, programming equipment, and misc. items for Caprice PPV cars. This forum is moderated, posts from members with less than 5 forum posts may be removed. Any questions please contact a moderator. SPECIAL NOTE - We have no role or liability in any transactions other then to provide a venue to advertise the items. Disputes must be resolved independently between the parties involved in any transaction.
lastcall190

SS Mufflers

Post by lastcall190 »

https://www.ssforums.com/forum/chevy-ss ... ips-2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Found on the SS forum. Looks like a decent price.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: SS Mufflers

Post by smwalker »

Have we determined tey are any different than PPV mufflers. looked at my 14PPV and 15SS mufflers and think I saw that same part numbers.??
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

the SS uses a ball and socket joint , and the PPV is a 2 bolt flange

also the SS has a decent rumble to it , where the PPV is quiet
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

smwalker wrote:Have we determined tey are any different than PPV mufflers. looked at my 14PPV and 15SS mufflers and think I saw that same part numbers.??
Can't speak to the difference in later models, but early PPV mufflers are definitely not the same as SS mufflers internally. PPV mufflers have an extra resonant chamber (Helmholtz or J-tube) built in to deal with 4-cylinder mode.
s/c'd cav wrote:the SS uses a ball and socket joint , and the PPV is a 2 bolt flange

also the SS has a decent rumble to it , where the PPV is quiet
I'm using 2014 SS mufflers with the rest of the system intact currently--yes, definitely more "volume" compared to stock PPV mufflers. Some drone in 4-cyl mode with these mufflers....turned off AFM, no more drone!

Future plans are replacing everything forward of the mufflers with Z/28 "headers" and Kooks X-pipe/mid-pipe. I'm interested to see how much the sound output is impacted by getting rid of all the stuff in the stock mid-pipe.

Based on a parts lookup, 2011 PPV (all V8) had a specific muffler PN, and were VERY high-cost as replacements. 2012-2017 PPV shows different PN mufflers for all years, lower cost, and also indicated back-fit to 2011 vehicles. Did not look up V6 PPV to see if mufflers are different. If I'm not mistaken all PPV's have the 2-bolt flange arrangement for mufflers, rather than ball/socket joints. SS mufflers are different PN year by year, not shared with PPV.
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Can't speak to that set up but after putting a g8 magnaflow on my car with no mid muffler, there is a load more sound (again, its all relative to the stock system which has multiple additional mufflers). Magnaflow is considered one of the quietest systems and the difference is 100% noticeable. The number of muffling devices in the stock midpipe is remarkable, and the stock mufflers are way bigger than they seem. Sorry for hijack.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

lastcall190 wrote:the stock mufflers are way bigger than they seem...... -J
The OE PPV mufflers are intentionally "large" (by internal volume). It's part of what allows the car to be quiet and still be able to run 150+, with 2">2.25" tailpipes. The internal volume allows the exhaust velocity & energy to dissipate through a series of baffles & chambers as well as glass packing--and to cancel out drone when AFM is active. The mufflers are 409 stainless material.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

But the expansion/flex joint up stream of the muffler is definitely NOT stainless. Not sure how they got away with that. Muffler = fine. Expansion/flex joint = crumbling mass of rust.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

Those bolt together joints can be replaced with SS pieces that available to just chop those out and weld the same thing on, my Subaru at 7 years old had same issue with a very nice looking muffler and clean pipes but clearly leaking exhaust out at the joints. Dealer wanted $1200 for new system. Found those joint replacement parts on Summit I think and took to an independent muffler shop to have replaced for $50 I believe....

I have chopped them out of my hybrid system and am using a slip together fit with dynomax band type clamps which isnt the greatest looking but allows for quick removal and some adjustability..