Any interest OEM Chevy SS mufflers

Post your Caprice PPV parts & components for sale here.
Forum rules
Acceptable items for posting include OEM new/used replacement parts, aftermarket parts, salvage yard parts, maintenance/repair tools & tooling, service publications, programming equipment, and misc. items for Caprice PPV cars. This forum is moderated, posts from members with less than 5 forum posts may be removed. Any questions please contact a moderator. SPECIAL NOTE - We have no role or liability in any transactions other then to provide a venue to advertise the items. Disputes must be resolved independently between the parties involved in any transaction.
Pimpycaprice

Any interest OEM Chevy SS mufflers

Post by Pimpycaprice »

They came with the car when I bought it. They are used and not exactly sure of the year. My caprice has a cat back exhaust on it already, so not sure why he had these with it when I bought the car. I don’t need them however, so if someone wants to buy them then let me know. I think they go for roughly $400’ish a pair used. I’d be willing to work with someone however. Thanks

I have a few other things my car came with also I may be listing. New struts and rebuild kits (I’m going coilovers pretty soon), a pair of superpro motor mounts, and a cpl other things. Let me know if interested and we can work something out. Or ask and I’ll give a breakdown of everything I have that I don’t need.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Any interest OEM Chevy SS mufflers

Post by smwalker »

What mating flange do they have on them? The PPV and the SS's had different styles of mating flanges or some reason.

Other than that I am not sure if there is any difference internally. I compared the two side by side and they have all thee same stamping's and such. Not sure if internal design is diffrent??
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Seabass

Post by Seabass »

Are they the npp mufflers?
I may be interested in the struts/ rebuild kits and motor mounts. where you located at?
14 Caprice
Looking for a white or silver 11-12
Looking for:
complete stock exhaust
Ls3 intake
Pimpycaprice

Post by Pimpycaprice »

Sorry guys, I got absolutely swamped after I posted this and it hasn’t stopped. I’ll see if I can get some pics posted up asap. I’m not sure of the flanges, was just told by the guy who sold me the car that’s what they were.
I’m located in St. Louis.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

smwalker wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:46 pm What mating flange do they have on them? The PPV and the SS's had different styles of mating flanges or some reason.

Other than that I am not sure if there is any difference internally. I compared the two side by side and they have all thee same stamping's and such. Not sure if internal design is diffrent??
Steve, the SS muffler did not have the flex joint as the PPV does - I've never looked at later PPV's (14-17) to see if they also have the flex joint as the earlier cars did. I have to assume the flange & flex joint arrangement was part of the drone mitigation that results from active AFM (in 4-cyl mode). Harmonics contribute, and the flex joint de-couples the muffler assembly from the mid-pipe assembly.

The PPV & SS mufflers do look the same externally as far as the "can", but obviously the tailpipe and pipe connecting to the flange (PPV/G8) or pipe joint (SS) are different. Internally, the PPV muffler has a J-pipe/resonator that is not part of the SS muffler. Two things to note - the SS mufflers are slightly louder, and if used on a PPV with active AFM, there IS some drone when in 4-cyl mode.

The SS muffler, as shown, was also painted black for improved appearance viewed from the rear.

I've had the SS mufflers on my PPV since some time in 2014 or 2015, and AFM has been turned off most to that time.
2011 PPV vs 2014 SS
2011 PPV vs 2014 SS
muff4.JPG (35.62 KiB) Viewed 2202 times
flange for PPV
flange for PPV
muff6.JPG (35.04 KiB) Viewed 2202 times
muff1.JPG
muff1.JPG (34.57 KiB) Viewed 2202 times
pipe & flange cut from stock muffler
pipe & flange cut from stock muffler
muff3.JPG (37.11 KiB) Viewed 2202 times
muff7.JPG
muff7.JPG (38.21 KiB) Viewed 2202 times
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Can confirm the 14PPV still had the flex and flange. Makes sense it was a little different for the AFM system.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White