Key Progarming/Relearning- Keys can only be learned once?

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
91C02920

Key Progarming/Relearning- Keys can only be learned once?

Post by 91C02920 »

I have the 'Engine Immobilized, Refer to Owners Manual' message on the IPC. Happened after I added the 2nd of 2 keys I got online. First one learned fine, no issues, 2nd one, not so much. Car still runs, but remote start won't work so I'm trying to fix this.
At this point, the car is showing 0 keys learned, and won't learn any of the keys I have. I tried the 10 minute relearn, and no change. I'm getting code B3031, which just indicates it is in Learn mode. To that end, I ordered a new key from the dealer, will try that soon.
I have the fleet option in my car, and keys have some difference to them, different part numbers for sure, and may be pre-coded?

Looking for a solution, I've found bulletin #13-00-89-002 Key Programming and Adding Keys for Caprice PPV with this ominous line in it:

Note: If you mistakenly program a key thinking the Theft Deterrent Module (TDM) is in one mode and it is not, the programmed key(s) will need to be scrapped. They cannot be programmed a second time.
Important: Keys can only be programmed once.

So if I have 0 keys learned, are my old keys scrap immobilizer wise? They will still start the car of course with the dash message.

Any ideas or suggestions for continued troubleshooting?
91C02920

Re: Key Progarming/Relearning- Keys can only be learned once

Post by 91C02920 »

New key from the dealer cleared the 'Engine Immobilized' now I'm just scared to try and add the other keys..
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Wow! Apparently only if they’re new. Sad.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
91C02920

Post by 91C02920 »

Reading #13-00-89-002 again answers my question, old keys are wiped, can't be relearned:
Note: Selecting “Learn Replacement Keys” when in the “Vehicle Theft Deterrent Learn” in the SPS will erase all previously learned keys. And erased keys cannot be relearned.
I didn't see that warning looking at other guides for the 10 minute relearn.

Looks like I'll try and order a chip a new chip for the flip key I have and try to add that one again.
91C02920

Post by 91C02920 »

Here is a copy of the bulletin: Key Programming and Adding Keys for Caprice PPV with the warnings that keys can only be learned once.

https://imgur.com/a/avkjq" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They don't have that in the 10 minute relearn instructions. Here is what they have:
"This 10-minute learn procedure should be used when all vehicle keys are desired to be replaced or reprogrammed. "

I might not have had any other option as even before I did the 10-min, even my original key would not clear the message.
91C02920

Post by 91C02920 »

I ordered 2 new chips for the flip keys I have and put them in. They are aftermarket keys, so the chips are not glued in. The keys worked, no issues adding them this time.
Oldblue68chevy

Post by Oldblue68chevy »

Where did you get the chips from? I need rhem but want to make sure i buy ones that are ready to be programmed. Thanks.
2011 PPV 9C3
91C02920

Post by 91C02920 »

Oldblue68chevy wrote:Where did you get the chips from? I need rhem but want to make sure i buy ones that are ready to be programmed. Thanks.
Midwest Keyless

https://www.mwkeyless.org/main/login" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They were $3.95 each, & $5 shipping for the lot.
I ordered the ones for a 2005 - 2010 Pontiac G6 as there was no listing for a G8 or Caprice, but other sites had them as the same part.
https://www.mwkeyless.org/products/item/29296" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You have to register online to use the site, & have a shop name, and once your order is in call in payment, but it was easy, they took a card over the phone.
Dut_The_SS_nuT

Post by Dut_The_SS_nuT »

That's weird. I took the chips out of the keys from my wrecked '11(I had 5 laying around) , and programmed them to my '13 in my new flip keys with no issues..... All I did was the 10 seconds on with a working key, and within 10 seconds, inserted the fresh cut flip key with the '11 chips and left it in the on position for 10 seconds, then off then start. I use the flip key every day. (for some reason I gave my wife the other, :roll: but it works too)
2007 Impala SS, K&N CAI, Flowmasters, Resonator Delete, Diablo Trinity tune
2011 Caprice 9C1 (rest in pieces)
2013 Caprice 9C1, "9C3 console upgrade" Modified Camaro Exhaust, Kayhan VE Series 2 Radio. (Soon to have 4 piston Brembos)
2013 9C1 Bone Stock
1956 Chevy 150 1211B trim code “Business Man Sedan" (currently gutting)
Oldblue68chevy

Post by Oldblue68chevy »

If the old chips can be reprogrammed I will try that first then. When i bought my car I was given two extra keys that dont go to my car. I will pull the chips from them first. If they dont work its good to know where I can get the chips.

Thanks
2011 PPV 9C3