Class action lawsuit re: auto parts

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
elc32955
System Manager

Class action lawsuit re: auto parts

Post by elc32955 »

Hey everyone!

Check this page out, this has to deal with a class action lawsuit against many, many auto parts manufacturing and resale companies. Even if you're not sure if you qualify, register on the site. This will allow you to get updates as this unfolds without obligation to file an actual claim. There are a WHOLE BUNCH of manufacturers listed as defendants, some have settled, some not. If I go back through my parts invoices over the years of multiple vehicle ownership, some of these names hop right out at me.

http://www.autopartsclass.com/index

Good luck!
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
CrashTestDummy

Re: Class action lawsuit re: auto parts

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Consumers in Texas need not apply. :(
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
storm9c1

Post by storm9c1 »

Pennsylvania not included either.

Also, this wording: "you may be included in one or more Settlements if, at any time from 1998 to 2015, you: (1) bought or leased a new motor vehicle in the U.S. (not for resale), or (2) paid to replace one or more of the new motor vehicle parts"

The only new vehicle I purchased within that time frame is my new Caprice, on which I have not replaced any parts. The rest of my cars were purchased used before then. Oh well. No soup for me!
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Tom,

There's some specific wording there that's very vital, but the short of it is that the kicker here is the word "OR" in the actual legal settlement agreements that define the settlement class. If that little word had been "and", it would mean a whole different ballgame. Luckily, it's not.

I looked at one of the actual PDF legal settlement agreements (TRW) as an exemplar as summaries tend to gloss over details. This is how I believe it will boil down based on my contracts experience... and yeah, I worked with some really, really anal govt. attorneys over the years on contract matters. When you work with weasel-aspiring vendors you learn quickly what the "gotchas" are in typical contracts & agreements.

1) If your new car purchased in one of the eligible states had an OEM component manufactured by one of the settlement companies you're entitled to compensation.

2) If you've purchased one of the listed components manufactured by one of the settlement companies, irregardless if you've placed the component on a new car, used car, etc.... as long as you bought the part from someone other then the manufacturing company directly you're covered. A good example would be a Bosch starter as a replacement part purchased from a 3rd party wholesaler. I bought one for my old 2004 Porsche Cayenne 4.5 turbo when the cooling pipes grenaded a few years back & the installed starter got soaked in honey-colored Porsche coolant. That purchase should be eligible for a claim. And, I still have that receipt, lucky for me. At worst, if I claim and they review it, the claim can be denied. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

If you live in Arizona, Arkansas, California, Florida, Hawaii, Iowa, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, West Virginia, or Wisconsin this could possibly pay well, under the correct set of circumstances and provided you have documentation for previous purchase(s).
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
eagle-co94

Post by eagle-co94 »

I've bought so many cars and parts since the early 2000's that I'm sure I'm covered in this several times over.
-James . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise."
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Hey everyone!

Yes, I'm CPR'ing this old thread as there's now more activity on this issue. I registered on-line earlier in the year, and I now have a postcard in the mail from the class administrator stating that claims can now be filed for twelve defendant groups. Apparently the settlement fund pool is now in excess of $604,000,000. Residents in thirty states are eligible to file claims.

The short version is for anyone interested to visit the website at http://WWW.AUTOPARTSCLASS.COM and check their eligibility. This is one of those cases if you're a chronic, compulsive receipt keeper for auto expenses it might pay off for you. I wouldn't plan on getting a check anytime soon, however... these kind of suits tend to drag on forever. And ever. And ever more. I bet it's 2019 before funds are dispersed. Just thinking of all those wonderful, billable legal hours on both sides. Drip... drip... drip...

Eric
eagle-co94

Post by eagle-co94 »

I've bought over 50 cars in the last 20 years. I keep a bunch of receipts but not everything so it's going to be a pain in the ass to document. We'll see how much of a paper trail this requires. Seeing that there's no deadline yet to submit I agree this will take a long time.
-James . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise."
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

OK folks, this thread is CPR'd again because..... another postcard in the mail. I'll just type out the content since it's short.
You are receiving this notice because you registered to receive updated information about the Automotive Parts Antitrust Litigation Settlements. You can file a claim NOW if you qualify. If you already filed a claim, you do not need to file one again for the same vehicle or part to get a payment. Thirty-three defendant groups have agreed to new Settlements resolving claims that they fixed the price of certain vehicle components. A new Settlement Notice is now available for your review on the website, http://www.autopartsclass.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .

For more info or a claim form, call 877-940-5043 or visit http://www.autopartsclass.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hope everyone kept their receipts over the years. Good luck!

Eric