Caprice sales figures

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
elc32955
System Manager

Re: Caprice sales figures

Post by elc32955 »

It's the bid prices that are doing it. Caprices seem to be near the top of the chart for cost vis-à-vis the Charger and the Sedan PI, and even the Impala Limited competing in the same car markets. Unless a spec is tailored for something specific to a Caprice or it's a sole source procurement, it seems the Caprice is tossed off the heap almost every time. Disappointing at best. If Chevrolet had shot the W-body Impala in the head when the new carline came out, Caprice sales would probably be better as the single Chevrolet police sedan with two engine options. And let's not forget the migration to the Tahoe and such....

At this point I'm starting to question if the Caprice is really a serious competitor in the police market, or if the cars are just being sold to fill GM's commitment to support the Holden operation. Someone needs to put the fear of god into GM Fleet's sales force to move these cars!
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
IDLife Caprice

Post by IDLife Caprice »

In my quest to find departments with the Caprice, I am being told by department heads is that GM is trying to GIVE AWAY these cars with the purchase of XX Tahoe PPVs... and departments are still turning them down. The biggest issue is not only the parts problem, but it is safe to say that most in fleet service are have DOD lifter failures. The last two I did Carfax history reports on both had full engine replacements and one within its first 36K miles. The issue I am seeing is that when sitting on the side of the road for long idle, the oil temps are exceeding 250 degrees, coolant temps over 250 degrees with an IAT of over 210 degrees. This simply creates a mixture for massive failures if the department is not using a high quality synthetic oil with regular change intervals... and at EIGHT quarts, it adds up quick. When you consider a unit is logging an oil changer per month over the multiplier of a fleet of cars, it adds up to Thou$ands of Dollar$ $pent on just having a fast pursuit vehicle.

Where Ford is killing GM is that the Interceptor Sedan and Utility are built on the SAME platform and the consoles are identical in mounting from the Crown Vic. So there is a huge savings in crossover costs plus all the brakes, hubs, and consumables are the same. No multi-fleet screw-ups like putting the wrong parts on the wrong car.

I am okay with the few numbers... it just means my 2013 is more valuable.
storm9c1

Post by storm9c1 »

There are other factors too. In my own research talking to local PDs, many no longer want the liability of high speed pursuits. They prefer comfort over speed and are opting for SUVs more and more now. The Explorer and Taurus make the most sense to mix and match if you want both in your fleet. Ford hit a home run with that one, even though the chassis is a blah FWD platform IMHO.
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.
9C1fanatic

Post by 9C1fanatic »

IDLife Caprice wrote:In my quest to find departments with the Caprice, I am being told by department heads is that GM is trying to GIVE AWAY these cars with the purchase of XX Tahoe PPVs... and departments are still turning them down. The biggest issue is not only the parts problem, but it is safe to say that most in fleet service are have DOD lifter failures. The last two I did Carfax history reports on both had full engine replacements and one within its first 36K miles. The issue I am seeing is that when sitting on the side of the road for long idle, the oil temps are exceeding 250 degrees, coolant temps over 250 degrees with an IAT of over 210 degrees. This simply creates a mixture for massive failures if the department is not using a high quality synthetic oil with regular change intervals... and at EIGHT quarts, it adds up quick. When you consider a unit is logging an oil changer per month over the multiplier of a fleet of cars, it adds up to Thou$ands of Dollar$ $pent on just having a fast pursuit vehicle.

Where Ford is killing GM is that the Interceptor Sedan and Utility are built on the SAME platform and the consoles are identical in mounting from the Crown Vic. So there is a huge savings in crossover costs plus all the brakes, hubs, and consumables are the same. No multi-fleet screw-ups like putting the wrong parts on the wrong car.

I am okay with the few numbers... it just means my 2013 is more valuable.
I truly believe that although the lifter failure can occur on any AFM engine, I truly believe than a good number of them could be connected to improper oil viscosity, improper amount of oil and failure to use oil that meets or exceeds Dexos requirement. Chevrolet Tahoe PPV also has active fuel management and they see lifter failures also. We just don't hear about it as much cause this is a Caprice forum. Check out the GMT900 forum and AFM is beat to death over there.
Garner Ames

1975 Pontiac Grand Am L77 - 14.82 @ 92.89
1991 Chevrolet C1500 L31 Vortec/5 Speed
2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LM7
2014 Chevrolet Caprice 9C1 L77 - 13.60 @ 105.87
2019 Chevrolet Express 3500 L96
9C1fanatic

Post by 9C1fanatic »

Caprice sales failures are

Highest bid price for several years

Embarrassing long delivery times

Launched with a floor shifter

Lack of available equipped loaner demo vehicles

Lack of dealer product and service training
Garner Ames

xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

storm9c1 wrote:There are other factors too. In my own research talking to local PDs, many no longer want the liability of high speed pursuits. They prefer comfort over speed and are opting for SUVs more and more now. The Explorer and Taurus make the most sense to mix and match if you want both in your fleet.(EDIT THE REAL REASON IS THEY ARE CHEAPEST) Ford hit a home run with that one (NOT REALLY), even though the chassis is a blah FWD platform IMHO( EDIT YOU AREN"T ALONE IN THIS OPINION CHP HAS NO OFFICIALLY DUMPED IT IN FAVOR OF DODGE CHARGER) .
The standard explorer chassis police SUV with NA v6 motors is horrendous to drive at anything faster than traffic speed very stiffly sprung not comfortable like my jeep, the also feel like they could just exploded after about 10 minutes of rapid response driving time, brakes etc feel like they are going to literally melt. exhaust system reeks like the catcon system is gone which apparently a lot of them are literally falling apart internally. It makes no difference to me in a FWD or AWD setup we have both, with all the electronics which you are not able to defeat I think that tire wear is much more of an issue for handling or traction than anything else. The rear view out of the actual mirrors is horrendous with internal cage mounted and we have had numerous slow speed backing up accidents despite the rear backing beep beep aids. I have only drive a test model 12/13 charger briefly but i would take that or our caprice design any day over them. Now the 15 charger is v8 AWD i have no idea who wouldn't want that. Explorer rules in one category which is ability to put large crap like bicycle into the rear and have it secured, prisoner area is very cramped and front cockpit not any better than sedans.

RANT MODE OFF
9C1fanatic

Post by 9C1fanatic »

Agreed!! Those explorers are cramped. Transitioning from sedans to SUVs is not related to pursuits or lack there off, just mainly because the manufactures are continually downsizing sedans. Even agencies with ridiculous no pursuit policies still have to respond to emergency calls, run red lights, speed and generally drive the vehicle hard. Pursuits are like 5-10 percent of what a police vehicle needs to do everyday and do it well. Sedans are better at all of these things. With the price of the Tahoe skyrocketing in the new generation, I think we will see some depts. go back to sedans rather SUVs. Tahoes have space which none of the other vehicles have. They used to be priced competitively but now are the most expensive vehicle passing up the Caprice. Well see what happens.
Garner Ames

elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

July 2015 numbers are in.... 140 cars sold in this month.

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

And the August 2015 numbers are in. 176 cars sold in the last month.

Eric
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

September 2015 numbers. 155 units sold during this month.

Eric