Road Trip report - 18 to 30 June 2013

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Road Trip report - 18 to 30 June 2013

Post by Navy Lifer »

From Canton Georgia, up to SE Missouri via I-75, I-24 & US 60, west into Oklahoma on US 60 & I-44, US 69 and a few assorted state highways, then to Texas (I-35 corridor), returning via I-10 & I-12 from San Antonio into Louisiana & Mississippi, I-65 & I-85 through Alabama and back to Atlanta area.

Day 1 - Tuesday - left GA early AM on June 18th.
1st overnight - Cape Girardeau MO, visiting friends (originally from Charleston MO) - includes lunch stop in Kevil KY, for BBQ research project

Day 2 - Weds - 19th
More BBQ research in SE Missouri!
2nd overnight - Miami (miam-uh) OK - just a place to stop for the night (free room at Hampton using HHonors points!)

Day 3 - Thurs - 20th
Take "detour" via back roads to avoid OK City, and stop in Paul's Valley OK, home of Covercraft, to do a test-fit of PPV cover - arranged by Scott Walker (novadeuce)
3rd overnight - Fort Worth TX, at NAS Fort Worth (formerly Carswell AFB) - meet our 2012 PPV owner Tom "Slick" North for dinner

Day 4 thru 6 - Fri - 21st to AM Mon - 24th
Meet friends for lunch in Rockwall TX, and take G8 Sport steering wheel (with "flat" bottom section) to Craft Customs for recovering
Arrive in Round Rock - stay at Holiday Inn (I-35 Exit 254) per recommendation of Steve Eckart
Fri PM (after 6 PM) - drive to Scott William's (HACK) place in Georgetown, begin work on car....long night, leave well past midnight
Sat - all day - long day working on car, break for dinner at local Applebees with Scott's kids
Sun - most of day taken to finish car, clean up and meet for dinner at Salt Grass Steak House with Scott and Steve Eckart

Day 7 thru 10 - Mon - 24th to AM Fri - 28th
- Head out to San Antonio via TX 45 & 130 (tollway) where speed limit is 85. Stop through Lockhart TX to do more BBQ "research", then to Treasure Island at Lake McQueeney TX to meet Bob Danelley (our very own Leadfart) - Bob gives me the grand tour of Treasure Island, and we head to dinner at the Ski Lodge (no snow skiing here) with some eye candy for dessert.
- Overnights were aboard Randolph AFB in Universal City/Schertz TX, just east of San Antonio - the "Showplace of the Air Force"....imposition of "sequestration" means the grass isn't being cut on a regular basis, among other things, so it's not quite as "showy" as it was on my last visit Oct 2012.
- Tues - 25th - Visited/lunched with an old friend who I had met in CA back in the late 70's or early 80's - Don Livingston - used to play guitar and sing, now is a cowboy hat maker. His brother, Bob Livingston, is still performing, has been with Jerry Jeff Walker (Lost Gonzo Band), Gary Nunn, and a whole bunch of other Austin/Hill Country Texas folks.
- Weds - 26th - Traveled back to Austin area to await my wife's late night arrival from CA, where she had been visiting family, stopped by to see Scott at work, tried to hit Franklin BBQ in Austin for more research (sign said "Sorry, sold out") and then drove west on Hwy 290 to Fredericksburg TX, where I visited the Nimitz Museum - arrived too late to do the full tour, and will have to plan another time to give it a full day.
- Wandered further south to Center Point TX, where I was lucky enough to track down Pedders USA CEO Pete Basica - more to explore there in the future!
- Wife arrives at Austin airport and we drive back to Randolph AFB (about 60 miles) arriving after midnight.
- Thurs - 27th - spent in Schertz area, back to Lake McQueeney, lunch with Bob Dannelley, visited with more friends for dinner
- Friday AM check out and head east, plans call for 2-day trip, stop in MS overnight

Day 11 - 12 - Fri - 28th & Sat - 29th
- stop at City Market in Luling TX for "breakfast" (more BBQ research)
- Lunch in Houston on Friday with customer & friend Norris Wingo (built a rear-disc conversion for his Cadillac Fleetwood)
- Overnight in Moss Point MS
- Sat AM breakfast & visit with Navy friends from Gautier MS and Mobile AL - in Mobile
- encounter HEAVY rain on I-85 in Alabama, car is amazingly stable in all situations!
- Home by 8 PM, with time left to pick up the kids (our 2 small terriers) at Miss Chrissie's "camp for dogs".

Traveled nearly 3000 miles on the trip - fuel numbers were "low" as I need to learn how to not run so fast or use the available power just for the satisfaction it brings to "blast" someone who has been holding a left-lane gab-fest (amazing how many people drive & talk on phone who are oblivious to their surroundings and impact on others). I did see over 23 MPG on one tank, and overall trip average was over 20 MPG, but I did not seriously try to maximize economy, considering car was fairly loaded. It will be interesting to see what tuning can do for FE in the future.

Work done to car with Scott Williams:

1. Install fog lamps
1.a. Install lower fascia grille insert (part from VE II Commodore SS-V, modified) - bumper fascia cover was removed to accomplish, made fog lamp install easier, too

2. Install lighted sunshades (visors)

3. Install front overhead (dome) light with individual (independently-controlled) spots for driver & passenger

4. Install Smoker's Pack - covered compartments front & rear of console – modify power for full-time use without key in front position

5. Install fuel filler door lock (works with door lock circuit, from G8)

6. Install second trunk release in dash stowage compartment (glove box), with power at all times

7. Install interior leather parts – console lid & shift knob (cover)

8. Install exterior painted parts – mirror covers, fender inserts (no repeaters), rear spoiler, add new emblems

9. Install rear seat overhead handles

10. Install Gentex GENK45AM auto-dim mirror with compass and “Home Link” feature

11. Install WM Holden Caprice rear lower fascia panel (between exhaust tips)

12. Install sound attenuation material (the stick-on stuff—Mojo mat, Memphis Audio http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/products ... /mojo-mat/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) to the roof of the car, also used on C-pillars, trunk lid and under package deck

13. Removed police equipment cables in passenger footwell

Steering wheel (being re-covered at Craft Customs, Rockwall TX)

Individual reports on specific installations to follow - many pictures to post. For those that want pictures sooner, let me know and I can e-mail groups of pictures directly to you.

What else is planned?
- install painted grille surround (now chrome)
- install trunk (lid) carpet
- exterior door handles - refinish to body color?
- lower car, other suspension mods
- change or modify wheels, wider tires
- finish steering wheel install
- paint roof panel contrasting color (black?) or faux carbon fiber (decal)
- front aero device (spoiler/splitter or?) - design TBD
- interior - seats, leather, etc
- revise grille design, mesh, delete or modify front Bow Tie
- exhaust mods - dual tips, at least!
- several more Holden accessories and Australia-only parts to work into the mix (WM rocker moldings, undercar aero panels - to name a couple)
- possible polycarbonate cover to install over fog lamp openings for aero & protection - discussed with Scott
- eventual engine mods TBD - after replacing this car with another for wife
leadfart

Re: Road Trip report - 18 to 30 June 2013

Post by leadfart »

Blower? :mrgreen:
Bob Dannelley
2011 Alto Gray 9C3 Caprice PPV-Maggie-11.64@119.68-Sold!
1995 DCM Impala SS-409-Stroker!-11.83@115
2014 Silver Ice LTZ Silverado Crewcab 4X4
2007 Black Z51 M6-Corvette Coupe
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Bob, you already know how bad my back is--your throttle-foot proved that.....besides, I don't know what I would do with that much power!

I didn't mention brakes (yet) but I would probably do something in that area before I added any power other than via tuning.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Very good report Bill, sounds like you had quite the fun & productive trip. At least now we'll have some definitive answers on how some of these mod questions (map light install for example) will pan out for others following you. I'd like to do the map light one personally, I miss not having those available. And the G8 fuel door lock mod is a definite must-do!

I got ragged on a little at the BMR meet when we had the car on the lift for the wimpy-looking front brakes. One or two persons made the comment that Brembos were in order for the fronts, jury's out until you hook up with your friend again and see what brake mods are possible with existing police wheels and the 18" G8 GT wheels. I remember we discussed this a little while back but don't know if we ever had a final answer. Plus the police brake material is mega-dusty, less then 100 miles of travel and the front wheels need to be cleaned again if you have decent wheels...

Also the small-size of the rear sway bar was noticed right off by the BMR folks. The conversation went something like "Why did they (GM) put THAT little dinky thing on there!"..... :)

Again, good report and glad you're safely back!

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

elc32955 wrote: I got ragged on a little at the BMR meet when we had the car on the lift for the wimpy-looking front brakes. One or two persons made the comment that Brembos were in order for the fronts, jury's out until you hook up with your friend again and see what brake mods are possible with existing police wheels and the 18" G8 GT wheels. I remember we discussed this a little while back but don't know if we ever had a final answer. Plus the police brake material is mega-dusty, less then 100 miles of travel and the front wheels need to be cleaned again if you have decent wheels...

Also the small-size of the rear sway bar was noticed right off by the BMR folks. The conversation went something like "Why did they (GM) put THAT little dinky thing on there!"..... :)
The G8 crowd is possibly mis-informed or under-educated.

The rotor is the heart of a front brake package, and the PPV's is almost a full inch larger than the standard G8 GT (345mm vs 321mm) - FWIW, rears are 324mm on GT/GXP & PPV. The twin-piston floating front calipers may or may not have as much piston area and/or pad contact as the single piston on PPV, but the more aggressive pads and larger front rotors used on PPV will probably stop the car quicker and longer (repeated stops) than the G8 GT package. No argument about a package similar to GXP or 1st-gen CTS-V.

As for the rear bar, I suspect the original (2011) spring rate & shock tuning combination had much to do with bar selection. The stability control system response is probably affected by bar size and front/rear balance, too, so when "we" - enthusiast owners - look at the bar size and someone with a manhood complex comments, it's not always correct nor can we be sure what head they're thinking with.

When you lay it all out, including tire contact patch differences, whether stability control is active or not, road surface conditions, etc, my only comment is "let's hit the road and see who is quicker" before I give in to the thinking that the rear bar (in this case) is too "dinky" and needs to be larger.

Remember, too--PPV was produced with a cost target and need for reliability and ease/simplicity of maintenance which was not likely as much of a consideration or priority with G8.
The Tech

Post by The Tech »

Navy Lifer wrote:dinner at Salt Grass Steak House with Scott and Steve Eckart

Stop through Lockhart TX to do more BBQ "research",
Sounds like a productive trip. Can't wait to see the car with the pieces you showed me in Commerce installed.

I make it a point to eat at Salt Grass whenever I go to Ft Worth. In Lockhart did you go to Kruse Market? (Best Brisket I have ever tasted!)
2011 Alto Gray Caprice PPV 9C3, Kooks Long Tube Headers, Kooks Drag Cats and Crossover, Solo Axle Back System.
1996 DGGM Impala SS
1995 Caprice 9C1 red over white
2015 Bright Yellow Jeep Wrangler, the better half's car.
Member of Carolina Holdens
95_9C1

Post by 95_9C1 »

Sounds like a lot of modifications.

I can't wait to see the pictures.

Has anyone found a full set of vent visors that fit the window channel avoiding the use of double sided tape ?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

The Tech wrote:In Lockhart did you go to Kruse Market? (Best Brisket I have ever tasted!)
As a matter of fact, I did....I think it's spelled/known as Kreuz....but I only had a "hot" jalapeno-cheese sausage ring as a between-meal sampler/snack. Timing was wrong for a full "plate" - at Kreuz, that's 2 layers of butcher paper.

As I mentioned, I can send "raw" pix via e-mail for anyone who wants them--it will take longer to put together an install "feature" for each mod--some of the mods are not going to be as easy to describe or show due to the limits of my photography ability.

Regarding "vent visors", I do have the Holden accessory slimline version kit, which covers only front doors. This kit uses a combination of adhesive tape & metal clips to retain the parts. Have not installed them as of this writing.

There are no US-sourced vent visors/deflectors for VE/WM that I'm aware of, and I do not know if any supplier has tooled up to produce a 4-piece (for all 4 doors) set. That's a question for our Down Under folks.

I had hoped that MacNeil WeatherTech (whose design uses no tape) would have created side window deflectors for G8, but they did not, for reasons unknown (they did produce floor mats for G8) - the shape should be the same as Caprice, since (I believe) front door dimensions are the same. Maybe "we" should ask them....
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

AVS Auto Ventshade has committed to producing visors for the Caprice, the info. is in an old thread on the system here. Now I've not heard any updates in a few months, but I'd tell you if you want ventvisors call them at the listed number. If they tell you they are not available, ask them when they will be available and tell them customer service committed, in writing, to a build for the product. I plan on calling next week as well.....

The G8 kit they have works fine for the fronts, but the rears do not (we have longer doors...).

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Eric, the essential question was about whether any version was available with no adhesive (tape) needed for installation, thus my mention of MacNeil. My recollection is that the AVS design uses tape for contact mounting, and that the tape eventually fails.

Perhaps we can approach the company (MacNeil) about making them, unless they've already rejected the idea (since they never tooled-up for G8). Maybe there's a design difference in the VE/WM door frame and window seal system that complicates or compromises their approach, but I would have them already, if offered, rather than the Holden kit I have now.