chevrolet caprice ppv europe import

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
1LE

Re: chevrolet caprice ppv europe import

Post by 1LE »

Side repeaters would be mandatory and as explained above they can be spliced into the wiring behind the headlights, as for the rear fog light I believe it’s mandatory down in continental Europe, for Sweden where I reside it’s not needed.

Cannot vouch for Germany but there may be alternatives depending on whether you plan to do a temporary or a definite import of the PPV, or for that matter if it can be defined as a part of your belongings/moving goods. There possibly are alternatives to apply for exemptions for e.g. color and placement of turn signals/repeaters, perhaps even keeping the US-standards, providing certain requirements are fulfilled. I presume the guys at the German TÜV (or similar) would know.

///Ove
Karma_Police

Post by Karma_Police »

I was also just made aware that R134a is now banned in Germany (possible Europe?), and that the Air conditioning system needs to be evacuated prior to arrival. A certificate, and sticker needs to be placed in the car.

Great :?
vmaxcap

Post by vmaxcap »

hi

the front fender side indicators are not need here in belgium.
same thing for germany i think. not sure.
you only need side fender indicators when there is a towbar / towhook mounted.

yes the car will be messured in and out profoundly.

maybe need for chassisnumber stamp somewhere in the engine compartiment
and foglight.

no need for other taillights
rear red indicator is ok
(belgium)

regards
vmaxcap
Karma_Police

Post by Karma_Police »

The vehicle has arrived now in Germany and now the fun begins. My first challenge is finding a "Datenblatt" for the vehicle - essentially a TUV approved technical data sheet. Theoretically, if the car has been imported before, it should exist. Unfortunately TUV says they cant find it. If any of you guys in Belgium, or Sweden have ANY sort of EU conformity documentation for your PPV's, i would love to see what you have. Anything like "EC type-approval", or a Certificate of Conformity ("CoC-Papier"). Any help would be appreciated.

BTW, I even found the caprice mentioned earlier for sale again in Germany: https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anz ... 9-216-3304" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1LE

Post by 1LE »

For Sweden and regarding a private import of a 2011 Caprice PPV you only need to get a certificate for engine emissions, and you’ll get it from the German company Dekra (see below), which is authorized to provide certificates for several items not just emissions.

Dekra Automobil Test center der Dekra Automobil GmbH (P00006)
Senftenberger Strasse 30, 01998 Klettwitz

Dekra Automobil GmbH
Niederlassung Dessau
Am Junkerswerk 1
D-06847 Dessau-Rosslau

Phone: +049 (0340) 5505-292 (skip the country code if calling within Germany)
Fax: +049 (0340) 5505-277 (skip the country code if sending within Germany)
E-mail: christian.wicke@dekra.com
Web: http://www.abgasdatenbank.de" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Web: http://www.importcertificate24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regarding the certification for e.g. brakes, fuel tank/system and theft prevention the Swedish authorities relies on the car’s Federal Safety Certification sticker combined with a clean title, together indicating this is a vehicle approved for use on public roads in the USA.

Regarding technical specs e.g. length, width, wheel size, tread width, engine size, horsepower, size of fuel tank and more the Swedish authorities have their own sources, at times I know they use certain internet sources or if yourself can provide them with specs from the manufacturer.

///Ove
Karma_Police

Post by Karma_Police »

Thanks for the help!

Looks like Dekra can provide me with the emission certificate and Headlight certificate.

Looks like it wont have a proper EURO5 rating though. It will be a "30ZZ" form, which I think is unique for american imported cars.

More info Here:

http://www.kba.de/DE/Statistik/Bekanntm ... onFile&v=6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Karma_Police

Post by Karma_Police »

Small update for those interested.

Dekra saved my ass. The papers they provided made the inspection much, much easier. I still had to go through TÜV for the main inspection, but they were also helpful and reasonable. I only had to add a rear fog light. I actually ended up just replacing the left reverse lamp with a red bulb, and putting it on a separate switch - good enough for a rear fog light (Only one reverse light is mandatory in Germany.)

So, it worked out!

I now have a set of side repeaters that I'll likely be selling - if anyone in here is interested, let me know!
Karma_Police

Post by Karma_Police »

Small update #2: The spotlight does NOT like going 230KMH on the autobahn. :mrgreen:
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

The autobahn. The only place the PPV can really stretch its legs legally. :D
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419