Finally tacking in my 2011 Caprice in for the recalls

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
K9Vic

Finally tacking in my 2011 Caprice in for the recalls

Post by K9Vic »

Finally going to take in my 2011 Caprice for the recalls, seat belt, key and shifter. Hopefully the dealer does not mess anything up in my car as I have equipment console with radios, the said they can do the fix without needing to move anything. But that was a dealer that I know actually sells cop cars, the dealer I am using does not as it is not 80 miles away. Also, they need not touch my radio as it is updated from White Automotive (I was one of the first). So I put a BIG sign on the dash not to.

Will see how it goes, I would prefer my dealer 80 miles away as I know their work, but that is too far and takes time off of work when other dealers are closer.
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Re: Finally tacking in my 2011 Caprice in for the recalls

Post by Pursuit »

Good Luck!

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
K9Vic

Post by K9Vic »

Yeah,just like I thought the dealer did not have all the parts and it will be another day. They should have ordered the parts before hand, they knew it was recall work and should have looked up what was needed. What a bunch of idiots. The dealer 80 miles away did all that ahead of time, but I told them it was just too far to go. Guess next time I should just bite the bullet and go to the dealer I know and trust.

Not gonna give them a good review, they should have done their homework ahead of time.
iboughtonetoo

Post by iboughtonetoo »

Mine stayed in for 2 weeks. They were waiting on parts and every time they called to tell me its not ready, I would reiterate to just chill.

I didn't go to my dealer of choice due to distance but im happy. They even got the wheel center right on the first try. Tell them not to rush it. So important. If they rush it, they WILL screw something up, guaranteed.

I've had dealers do major damage (one managed to spin a breaker bar all around the outside of the fender well taking an axle out, and pretend the 4' circular gauge was road rash) that I enter ptsd mode whenever a car of mine is at a dealer for something.
2015 0 days in service. Carpet, factory SL delete. purch @ 86, nov 2016 hit 13000. yeah!
http://i.imgur.com/W52rR3H.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
K9Vic

Post by K9Vic »

Took almost a week, one day short. Was not happy at all with their service and I bitched them out about it. Bought my Caprice with 15k miles in October 2013, it now have 42k miles.

Dealer releases my car with an airbag fault. Granted the wiring was hacked and I fixed it years ago, but the airbag fault was not there before and showed up when I was leaving. I had a few words with them not telling me the airbag light was on and not asking on the phone why and the existing wiring issue. Not sure what they did, but I had one wire ripped away, fixed that but still had a light. Redid the fix and now all is okay, going to put in a new plug later as it is just soldered together.

Yeah it was already hacked up from the original Constable, but it was fine for 2 years (issue showed up a year after I got the car). My problem was them not asking me about it, not saying anything on the phone so I could tell them I knew about the hacked wiring. They treated my car like some city fleet vehicle or up fitter where they would not even care about the air bag light. Yes, that is exactly what they told me, that up fitters do not care about air bag lights. The name on the ticket is a person (not a city or company), normal plates and has Holden badges. There was no excuse for the mechanic to not inform the service write of the air bag light. Should not matter whose the owner, if there is an issue that comes up that was not there at the start, you put it on the ticket.

Anyway, I got it fixed and will never go to that dealer again.

Auto Nation Chevrolet in North Richland Hills.
Attachments
airbag-llight.jpg
airbag-llight.jpg (21.66 KiB) Viewed 16490 times
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

K9Vic wrote:Yeah,just like I thought the dealer did not have all the parts and it will be another day. They should have ordered the parts before hand, they knew it was recall work and should have looked up what was needed. What a bunch of idiots. The dealer 80 miles away did all that ahead of time, but I told them it was just too far to go. Guess next time I should just bite the bullet and go to the dealer I know and trust.

Not gonna give them a good review, they should have done their homework ahead of time.
They NEVER order the parts until the car hits the service lane!! You only luck out there if they just happen to have the parts in stock. I've had our 2012 in three times for recalls (still have to go in for the seat belts soon), and every time I called to make an appointment, and EVERY time, had to wait on parts.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
K9Vic

Post by K9Vic »

CrashTestDummy wrote:
K9Vic wrote:Yeah,just like I thought the dealer did not have all the parts and it will be another day. They should have ordered the parts before hand, they knew it was recall work and should have looked up what was needed. What a bunch of idiots. The dealer 80 miles away did all that ahead of time, but I told them it was just too far to go. Guess next time I should just bite the bullet and go to the dealer I know and trust.

They NEVER order the parts until the car hits the service lane!! You only luck out there if they just happen to have the parts in stock. I've had our 2012 in three times for recalls (still have to go in for the seat belts soon), and every time I called to make an appointment, and EVERY time, had to wait on parts.
The dealer 80 miles away does, they ordered the parts and called me back. However I could not get up there and had it done locally. The 80 mile away dealer also sells and services police vehicles, so they were able to use the parts on another Caprice. They also ordered my past 2009 Tahoe dash ahead of time and my Tahoe was only there for one day. If they are not so far away, I would have used them as they said all three recalls would be done in a day as they had the parts in hand.
K9Vic

Post by K9Vic »

So 6 months later.......
So I find this today, those stupid fools at Auto Nation Chevrolet in North Richland Hills did not hook back up my second battery. This is for accessories separated from the main system that will stay on with key off. I have a small refrigerator I want to keep running but it turns off when I turn off the key. So something was wrong because it worked before they worked on the recalls. So anyway, I start looking into the issue after they had it in January and find they did not hook up the auxiliary battery terminal. That is yet another item they messed up of the already noted list.

It was also a new battery and AGM and lucky it was still okay and took a charge.
Attachments
Caprice-Battery.png
Caprice-Battery.png (394.53 KiB) Viewed 16135 times
hboost

Post by hboost »

What's the key recall? I looked up my VIN online and didn't see that one?
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

They just replace the key portion so it is horizontal instead of vertical in relation to the fob. Apparently it could be knocked with a knee and turn the ignition off. There's a thread on here somewhere that talks about it
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419