Well...the unthinkable has happened to my Caprice

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
twofi5e

Well...the unthinkable has happened to my Caprice

Post by twofi5e »

My poor car is borderline totalled. I'm still waiting for the final say from the insurance company. The car is currently at my body shop and the person working on it says the insurance company has the damages close to 95%.

It happened on Tuesday this week. I was traveling on a two lane state highway and this highway has cross streets in the median. Some lady had come to a stop at one of the cross streets and for whatever reason, she thought she could make it across both lanes and went for it. Needless to say, she didn't make it across. Had I not swerved to try to avoid hitting her, I definitely would have t-boned her car and probably done some serious bodily damage to the two passengers in her car who both were on the passenger side.

The crazy part about all of this, she had no business driving to begin with as she was only on a learners permit and neither of the other two passengers had a license at all. In the state of Maryland (as I'm sure it is with most, if not all other states) a driver with a learners permit must have a full licensed driver over the age of 21 in the vehicle while they are driving.

So the majority of the damage to her car was to the front passenger side corner. The damage on my car was to the front driver side fender and door. The steering and driver side front suspension were damaged as well. A stabilitrack fault code was even thrown on the dash. In the first picture below, it may look as if the front tires are turned a bit to the left, well they aren't. The other one is turned the other way and the steering wheel is all the way to the right.

Luckily myself, her and neither of her passengers were injured. Can't say the same for either car, as both had to be towed away from the scene. The damage to my car doesn't even look "that bad" but it's all the underlying damage that has it about to be totalled. I should know the final verdict sometime next week. Still hoping for the best.

I have decided that if the car is totalled, I am more than likely going to buy it back and part it out. I'm sure a lot of you could use parts from it. I guess we will see what happens.

A moment of silence for my poor Chevy :cry:
-Kase
Maryland
No Moa

Re: Well...the unthinkable has happened to my Caprice

Post by No Moa »

Fakin Prius!!!!! Least your ok. Hopefully it can be repaired.
2014 Caprice PPV silver
2017 Ram 3500
2002 CETA trans am
1996 Impala ss (soon to be t56)
1995 9c1
1977 Trans am SE 4spd.
1978 trans am 400 4 spd.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Amazing what totals cars these days. I know we have seen some rear end hits 300 times worse than that that have been put back on the road. Shame yours would be lumped in with those. Hope you repair it and get her back to prime!
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
kevink

Post by kevink »

Prius drivers are one of the worst. I always do everything I can to get away from them.
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
sardillim

Post by sardillim »

doesn't look like a total to me door , fender etc it will depend on what the post looks like
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

It will be interesting to see what the insurance want to give you and how much they deduct from the settlement if you keep the car. From the pictures it does not look that bad. If it is repaired with new OEM parts it will add up pretty quick.
Hopefully the driver does not have the same insurance company as you. I have had three cars total in the last 20 years by the other driver. I have found you don't settle for the first offer they make. They all have some negotiating room. I have been saving snip-its on all of the finalized GovDeal auctions that I see so I can have some data as to the value of the cars, if mine ever gets hit.
I have been driving white vehicles for close to 40 years and all of the cars that have been totaled by the other driver were dark colored cars. My wife complains about the white cars, but none have been involved in any accidents.

David
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

Here is a link to a good donor car.

https://www.copart.com/lot/19014007

David
mercialogo

Post by mercialogo »

Sad to see one take a hit like that. :( BUT it could be time for a upgrade to a 2014+ and get the better Radio. :) and less miles.
1991 Honda Night Hawk 750
2000 Silver Trans Am (RIP)
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Extreme
2013 Silver Caprice PPV
BIG_GREEK

Post by BIG_GREEK »

Wow....thats crazy. Glad everyone ended up okay. Remember, its just a car (an awesome one), it can be replaced. Perfect time to upgrade to a 14+!
"God created Police Officers so Fireman could have heroes!" - My late Father

2014 Phatom Black 9C1 (Toy)
2000 VW Jetta TDI (Daily 420k miles)
twofi5e

Post by twofi5e »

Well come to find out, my car is not totalled after all. Thank Goodness! I'll post updates when I get my car back. Should be within the next couple weeks. The accident happend on April 11th, so I am approaching the one month mark without my car. The insurance company seemed to take a rather large amount of time to determine whether or not the car was totalled. The phone call saying that it was fixable was about the best phone call I've received in awhile.
-Kase
Maryland