social media, Facebook, instagram?

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
cal30_sniper

Re: social media, Facebook, instagram?

Post by cal30_sniper »

xcidmigs wrote:
S13REMI wrote: I know I often times will takes pictures and videos that I dont post here, just out of convienence.
This is my big prob with using social media for car related stuff. None of that stuff you post will be searchable for anyone years later especially when you factor in the changes to the actual platforms, where as anything you are puttin on here or other legit forum groups will most likely survive 10+ years. How many of us out there have searched google for any type of general problem regardless of what car or even other stuff like how to fix your washing machine etc and been directed to a post on a forum thats 5-6 years old or more and has exactly your problem with a DIY solution, part number etc. Where's that photo you posted to myspace or whatever other place you posted with your cellphone on the fly because you are too lazy to sit down for a few minutes, login to something and do a decent response or write up. I come on here not only looking for what are people doing but to show what i did in case someone else cares about the same thing regardless if its today or 10 years from now when I'm likely long gone.
I agree wholeheartedly. I would add that it's hard to keep track of even stuff that is being posted day to day, and almost impossible to reference back information that is very recent. The way that facebook organizes it's data is a complete crapshoot. Since it tries to show you things you want to see, everybody's version of the exact same page is completely different. Sometimes I see a post on the facebook group, go back a few days later looking for the same post, and find it nearly impossible to find. I still haven't figured out the method for the order or frequency that information is displayed.

On a forum, I know exactly where to go to find a piece of information, I can search easily, and I know that I'm seeing exactly the same information that everyone else is. On facebook, completely different story.
-2011 Caprice 9C3: Mirage Glow Metallic, 63k miles
-2011 Caprice 9C1 (Gone)
-1973 Firebird Formula, restoration in progress
-1986 K30 Suburban 8.1L/NV4500, the toy hauler and wheeler
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

I guess I should post a semi-rational explanation on what my thoughts are relative to Facebook and the car communities. When our system here was in its early stages, I had ample opportunity to create an affiliated Facebook group for New Caprice as at that time the groups for PPV owners were both scarce and disorganized, but I decided not to do so. I very much echo the thoughts of a few previous posters in that Facebook information is difficult to access, index, and is unsure with regard to stability for future users down the road. Every time I, as a non-Facebook user try to look at information there on unlocked channels/groups, the system blocks out half my screen with enormous screams to JOIN!. Having a locked group is fine as long as you're communicating with members of your group only, but it doesn't readily lend itself to advancement of the discussion to other interested people outside the group.

About a year or so into our system, maybe a little less, I conducted a brief experiment to where I locked down the discussion forums (except for the general forum) for viewing by our system members only as incentive to increase system membership. After my head was politely severed, mounted, and handed back to me by many wise people in a VERY short period of time, I promptly reversed that position and opened up everything again. Our content is on search engines from here to Antarctica (yep, we get hits from down there - not much to do in the winter I guess!). Cars are a very homogeneous, unifying hobby for people from all walks of life, ages, professions, you name it. It doesn't make good sense to wall off the excellent technical information obtained via the collective, corporate knowledge of all of our owners from the outside world. This is what a "data silo" is. You pile up all this good car information/talk in a virtual grain silo. The informational content goes up, up, up on the system that houses the silo, but never spills out into the real world.

I have always maintained that if some enterprising individual(s) were to write a synchronization app between Facebook group posts and forum software (PHPBB, VBulletin, take your pick, etc...) that would take a Facebook post and dump it into a forum sub-board as a regular post, you could make a ton of money. Hopefully such an app would be bi-directional, meaning if we had a post in our forum "X" that was linked to the Facebook group, it'd create a post in the Facebook group by "NewCaprice" with the identical information that was posted on our system. BAM DONE, we have connectivity. However I'd bet it will never be allowed to happen, not by the good folks on non-corporate owned forum systems but by Facebook lawyers protecting their intellectual property.

Hell, even if the Yellowstone volcanic caldera erupts and our servers get melted in the rain of fire...... fire... yeah, FIRE :twisted: (SLAP!), the content from NewCaprice will still be available on the Wayback Machine for as long as it operates, we get routinely scanned as do a lot of other systems. I helped rescue some extremely valuable data last year for the Mercedes guys by using the Wayback Machine. One of their tech websites went Tango Uniform when the private owner pulled the plug, so I directed them how to get all their old posts back. I did the same thing with a group called the Revconeers, they killed their BBS which had a lot of good motorhome tech info on it. Yes, what gets posted here will be circulating for many years to come, not so on das Facebook as long as walls are in place.

Facebook as a interactional tool is fine as long as you're a member of the private club. Picture a clubhouse with no windows, one guarded door, and no cellphones or antennas allowed. I just read an article tonight linked from Drudge Report where some Facebook Australia execs were caught with their hand in the cookie jar researching alteration of the emotional states of some users to benefit advertisers, among other things. Machiavelli is alive & well in the digital age, believe me! I'm not EVEN going to start on discussion about what's being done to analyze your private metrics over there and to push your attitudinal and purchasing buttons accordingly... But anyway, those are just some of my thoughts for the little they're worth.

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

Wow, great to read some solid intel on why i and other feel like we do about the "social" media.... Its like a whole mass of people don't realize that they are in the book 1984...
twofi5e

Post by twofi5e »

I can be found on instagram under my same user name as on here: @twofi5e. No facebook or other social media accounts. Those that follow me will be followed back.
-Kase
Maryland