2011 9C3 ignition acting up

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
v8suprcapric

2011 9C3 ignition acting up

Post by v8suprcapric »

On the video you can see I turn the key and it just clicks and doesn't start to turn over, or barely starts to turn over but doesn't start. Always starts eventually (knock on wood). Not too familiar with these new ignition systems where you don't have to hold the key turned the whole time it's cranking. Any idea what might be going wrong? It's been doing this every few days or so.

Video:
https://youtu.be/-XICEetuQh4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1987 Landau (383 stroker, vortec heads, 700r4, posi rear, Bilstein shocks, Eibach springs, Bassett 15x8, BFGoodrich 275/60, 9C1 speedo)
2011 9C3 (K&N CAI, Weldcraft widened 18x9 factory steelies, Bridgestone 285/35)
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: 2011 9C3 ignition acting up

Post by smwalker »

That seems like normal operation. Yes you don't have to hold the key the whole time but I think you need to hold it longer than a half a second. In other words ones it gets a 1 second command from you it will take over from there even if it takes 3 seconds to start. BUt you need to give it a good command.

In the same reguard hold it for 5 seconds and if it starts after 2 it still wont keep spinning the starter like the old days. It;s like a key activated start button, But even the push to start buttons need a good 1 second push, not just a glance. They just take that as an accidental push.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
v8suprcapric

Post by v8suprcapric »

smwalker wrote:That seems like normal operation. Yes you don't have to hold the key the whole time but I think you need to hold it longer than a half a second. In other words ones it gets a 1 second command from you it will take over from there even if it takes 3 seconds to start. BUt you need to give it a good command.

In the same reguard hold it for 5 seconds and if it starts after 2 it still wont keep spinning the starter like the old days. It;s like a key activated start button, But even the push to start buttons need a good 1 second push, not just a glance. They just take that as an accidental push.

Strangely though, and I don't have a video of this yet, but sometimes I will turn and hold and it just does the single click and that's it, it doesn't start to turn over. Ignition switch? Starter?
1987 Landau (383 stroker, vortec heads, 700r4, posi rear, Bilstein shocks, Eibach springs, Bassett 15x8, BFGoodrich 275/60, 9C1 speedo)
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

I take back what I said. I went and tried mine. Did just half a second bumps, first time no start second time start. sO it is possible to start with small short bumps. Not sure what the system needs to see in place to do an extended crank. Will see if I can find a description of the system and what it's doing.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
v8suprcapric

Post by v8suprcapric »

smwalker wrote:I take back what I said. I went and tried mine. Did just half a second bumps, first time no start second time start. sO it is possible to start with small short bumps. Not sure what the system needs to see in place to do an extended crank. Will see if I can find a description of the system and what it's doing.
So last night I did a probably 3/4 second bump, and it clicked and did nothing, then I did another 3/4 second bump and again it clicked but then probably a full second later it cranked and started. Also, sometimes when it clicks and does nothing, a second or so later I hear another click from under the hood somewhere. Maybe the starter gear is engaging the flexplate but then not turning?
v8suprcapric

Post by v8suprcapric »

smwalker wrote:I take back what I said. I went and tried mine. Did just half a second bumps, first time no start second time start. sO it is possible to start with small short bumps. Not sure what the system needs to see in place to do an extended crank. Will see if I can find a description of the system and what it's doing.
Another new variation, the other night it did it's now less rare click and nothing happens, so I gave it a second and tried again and this time held the key in the turned position for about 5 seconds and then it started turning over and started.
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

I call it flick start (just flick the key and it keeps cranking without having to hold the key turned). I found that this vehicle's flick start is the most finicky of all GM's I've seen. So I just hold the key most of the time.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
v8suprcapric

Post by v8suprcapric »

Old post but new revelation....Right before this car's warranty ended I had my local dealership fix anything and everything they could under warranty. One thing I mentioned to them was the ignition problems I'd been having. They replaced the ignition. It didn't fix the issue though, and now the car is out of warranty. What has happened recently is I couldn't turn the key far enough ccw to take the key out of the ignition. I'm thinking the neutral safety switch (if that's what it's called?) might be acting up. Because it seemed like even though I was in park, maybe the car thought it was in gear or in neutral? I jiggled the shifter and IIRC that allowed me to turn the key further and take it out. Need to do more controlled tests and remember what the hell happens. But does that sound like it might make sense? Something with the shifter telling the ignition to work or not to work?
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Yes there is a solenoid in the column that gets a signal from the shifter that the car is in park and can release the key.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
v8suprcapric

Post by v8suprcapric »

smwalker wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:17 am Yes there is a solenoid in the column that gets a signal from the shifter that the car is in park and can release the key.
Aha, thanks I'll look into that.