Totalled 2013 Caprice

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
ejf2461

Totalled 2013 Caprice

Post by ejf2461 »

10 Days ago while working off-duty I was T-boned in my Caprice. Without going into detail the guy who struck my vehicle did not have insurance and my insurance policy's (uninsured motorist rider) has to cover everything. Anybody who has followed my posts knows how much $$$ I have invested in this Caprice. About $43K to date. Couple months ago a new dealer installed engine $9900. 2 weeks ago entire paint job, both new headlights, new hood, front bumper & grill $7700 of which $5k was covered by USAA and recently had all new rotors & pads and 5 new GM rims & Goodyear RSA's installed. Well State Farm offered me $8800! When I told them I had $43K in it he didn't believe me until he rear my email with every receipt! I bought the car January 2016 for $10k and have sunk $33k into making the Caprice Perfect. The estimate to fix the car was $8500 since it had rear suspension damage from being pushed sideways 6 feet. I wont settle for even double that but just want to make others aware of what insurance companies think these rare cars are worth. I am in my 40's and have not had a claim in decades, perfect credit and amazing zip code and this car cost more to insure than my Ferrari. You guys might want to check into insuring your Caprice for stated value instead of market value. I will keep you posted on the outcome and if this thing goes up for sale by State Farm. It would make someone with OCD as bad as me a very happy owner after repaired.
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_5214.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5214.jpg (162.66 KiB) Viewed 15657 times
2013 Impala 9C1
2013 Caprice PPV 9C1 V8
ejf2461

Re: Totalled 2013 Caprice

Post by ejf2461 »

Pics a day before the incident.
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_5083.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5083.jpg (334.04 KiB) Viewed 15653 times
thumbnail_IMG_5082.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5082.jpg (295.27 KiB) Viewed 15653 times
thumbnail_IMG_5081.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5081.jpg (437.04 KiB) Viewed 15653 times
2013 Impala 9C1
2013 Caprice PPV 9C1 V8
sardillim

Post by sardillim »

looks fixable to me
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

You did the G8 ventshade kit, didn't you.... no rear shades!

Yeah, that is a problem with cars all across the community, be it GM, Ford, Dodge/Chrysler, import, whatever the flavor is. We put a bunch of back-end money into the cars doing mods, tweaking, getting them the way we want them to be and suddenly out the blue..... WHAM!! A 1988 Ford Crown Victoria with a drunk from Yugoslavia behind the wheel that's driving on an international driver's license and no insurance leaves a big ole oval "FORD" imprint in your doors, rear end, front clip, wherever something like that gets you it's always, always bad. Insurance companies will never, ever give you money back on what you have into the car unless you have a collector's policy. They merely go by the depreciated book value in issuing the total and their buy offer for you. Doesn't matter if you deliver your payments via Maybech to their front door, on a pillow with gold gilding.... "We're sorry sir, the book value on your car is $7,500. Also due to the fact it's seen police use we have to deduct an additional 20% for prior commercial service, yada yada yada....".

Now, there's also another trick to this and that's getting a good initial appraisal. I have an acquaintance over in Orlando that does repairs and rebuilds on specialty collector motor homes. Frequently he's called by more then one insurance company to go appraise someone's ride because they're claiming an $83,000 value (of course your miles may vary!) on a custom motorhome and asking for insurance on that amount. Well, those underwriters didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday. In a lot of cases they'll call for an independent, unbiased appraisal to verify all those receipts you submitted are for parts really on the vehicle, etc etc.... Don't try to snooker those kind of appraisers because they're usually pretty good, and 95% of the time have an excellent BS detector! If they smell a rat, your car is going up & down on a lift and having pics taken of all the installed hardware before you can say oops!

But if you've spent a lot of money on your car and want good return if something bad happens to it, a specialty policy is a must! Good luck fighting it out with your insurance company!

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

Not sure what the thought process would be behind sinking $33k into a car thats worth maybe half that (also would seem you could have bought a brand new SS sedan for less?) and then expecting to get that money back from standard insurance policy.

I also have State Farm and have been both worked over by them on things like deductables and a few times completely hooked up. Such as when the minor damage was all stuff I could repair on a 10 year old car by using junkyard parts that were of similar quality and afterward pocketed over $1000. Another time I burned my project car with a swapped TPI motor completely to the ground in my own driveway. Once it was determined not to be arson State Farm coughed up $4k as the full value of a 16 year old truck and towed it away. Currently I'm paying the lowest premium on the caprice of all 3 of our "new" cars for whatever reasons their statistical models pooped out.

You clearly have tons of records/paper on the car so do your best and remember basically its a negotiation. If its not going your way, consider getting a lawyer to just contact them for you which may will do for free or low single charge. Maybe you FOP has a solicitor you can ask?

Then buy a 17 SS leftover when all this mess is done.
ejf2461

Post by ejf2461 »

I should hear back from State Farm on Wednesday. They received all the receipts and have taken that into a real value recalculation. The $8800 was for a V6 Caprice PPV and not a V8 which also ups the value a little the Agent stated. The agent called the body shop and had them sent him interior & exterior pics of the Caprice. The bodyshop just happened to have another detective 2013 Caprice in their shop from a local Police Department and 50+ pics were sent to show the difference in condition and normal wear vs Owner who is a Perfectionist. The agent also allowed the cost of the new engine, adding factory carpet, mats, hubcaps, remote start & G8 Trunk Carpet at the local Chevy dealer to the Caprice's value. I am torn on what to do and what even my options are with State Farm as the referee. This car has been very expensive to own. I have to have police cars for the business that I am in. (I have stated in other posts) so getting a 2017 SS with a 6 speed manual isn't an option. I currently own a Police Tahoe SSV (Most reliable vehicle I have ever owned and I have owned 150+ vehicles) & Police Impala. Both are also great cars and 1/2 as much to repair and insure. Kelly Chevrolet has a 2017 Caprice PPV with V8, Remote Start, Carpet, Hubcaps $26k, I told myself I would never buy another used police car since I have OCD so bad. The last 3 times the I have required a Rental Vehicle I got 2015,2016 & now 2017 Chevrolet Tahoe LT with 8" Mylink, Navigation, XM Sat Radio, Bose, Back Up Camera, Push Button Start, Heated & Air Conditioned Seats, All the Lane Avoidance Safety Stuff and I must say "I Like A lot". Enterprise said they would sell me the 2017 Tahoe LT w/Luxury Pkg I am currently driving for about $45k it has 12K miles. Since I spend 100+ hours a week in my car and my other Tahoe has been such a Beast this is what I am leaning towards. $1000 for Black Police Wheels/Tires, $1000 for Havis Laptop Mount & Handheld Siren,Speaker & Led's Lights and I am good. I will keep you posted!
2013 Impala 9C1
2013 Caprice PPV 9C1 V8
sardillim

Post by sardillim »

still think its repairable, used door ( you won't like this ) Fix the 1/4 16 hrs fix the cover used left rear knee assy my guess $5000.00 to $ 6000.00 depending on the labor rate used parts and fixing the 1/4 may not be ideal to you but it beats taking a $35,000 hair cut
thirdgenfarmer

Post by thirdgenfarmer »

EJF what ended up happening with this?!
2011 9c1

"It's got a cop motor, a 364-cubic-inch plant. It's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks..."
ejf2461

Post by ejf2461 »

After 9 weeks in the bodyshop..and in the meantime loosing a person (Female Chicago Police Officer) who wanted to purchase it after her 2014 V6 Caprice was totaled I finally got the vehicle back! The entire rear suspension had to be replaced and they were able to save the rear fender. The body shop does amazing work and returned the car back to me looking like new. I don't know if I am going to sell it or not. Having over $43k in it and it currently perfect make it a tough decision.
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_5510.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5510.jpg (241.12 KiB) Viewed 14985 times
2013 Impala 9C1
2013 Caprice PPV 9C1 V8
jreid8231

Post by jreid8231 »

I have a 2013 V6 PPV car in black if the female still wants one (in VA). It has only 6k miles.....full carpet with cloth backseat.
Attachments
20171203_163645.jpg
20171203_163645.jpg (418.14 KiB) Viewed 14983 times